IGNORED

SNES USB to PC controller OR USB Controller Adapter?

SegaShooters

Not interested in investing in SNES carts, especially some of the more expensive titles like Chrono Trigger, etc. BUT have one of the SNES emulators that works well with a couple hundred ROMS I downloaded a few years ago.

I do have several stock SNES controllers and see that there are dedicated SNES USB controllers, as well as USB adapters to convert stock controllers to use on the PC.

I'm looking for some input on which to get: the SNES USB controller adapter or the SNES USB controller?

Thanks.

If you're going to only play SNES games on your PC, then go with the SNES to USB adapter. I'm not sure how reliable they are or who makes them, so someone would have to weigh in on that.

Otherwise, I'd go with one of those USB controllers similar to a PS2 controller where you can play any/most console emulator with one of those. The one philips makes is pretty good and you can probably find a used one pretty cheap.

Edited by SEgamer

Not interested in investing in SNES carts, especially some of the more expensive titles like Chrono Trigger, etc. BUT have one of the SNES emulators that works well with a couple hundred ROMS I downloaded a few years ago.

I do have several stock SNES controllers and see that there are dedicated SNES USB controllers, as well as USB adapters to convert stock controllers to use on the PC.

I'm looking for some input on which to get: the SNES USB controller adapter or the SNES USB controller?

Thanks.

I own both so I hope I can be qualifed enough to help. ;)

I play a SNES emulator all the time myself (I use emulation for almost all my game needs these days) so having a good controller was important to me.

The answer really depends on if you can get a GOOD original SNES controller and how you feel about third party ones. It also depends, I think, on how you feel about the SNES controller to start with. You can get the SNES USB controller for cheaper, on average, then you can to get a original model controller PLUS the adapater.

But I think it's better to get the actually controller and then the adapter....that way, you don't have any issue. Even the best third party controller just isn't QUITE as good as a original controller.

Problem is, getting a good first generation controler. They can be hard to find on EBay and can end up going for more then you may want to spend. I had problems before I finally got one that was in very good shape. The controllers that Nintendo shipped with the SNES 2 are not, IMHO, as good as the original ones.

Some third party controllers have the advantage of Turbo and Slow built into them if you like that also, or if you don't care much for the SNES controller to start with (it's one of my personal favorite controllers). So they have that advanatge.

If you need help finding some of this stuff, let me know. Stone Age Gamer sells the third party SNES controllers plus the adapters, and I can highly suggest his store. Plus I have a spare original SNES controller and third party one hanging around here also I'd be willing to sell.

Hope tha was some help! :)

I'd probably say stick with the SNES lookalike that is already wired for USB. It's fairly minimal, you probably won't even notice it, but each piece of equipment adds lag, less bits inbetween, less lag, obviously. But, the bigger reason, is that new SNES lookalikes are easy to find, while the stock controllers are getting old and worn. (though you can still buy new for those too, so whatever floats your boat)

Stoneage Gamer has the SNES lookiing USB pads. Awesome price too (IMO) look them up sometime.

Edited by Video

I appreciate your opinion.

I've got four "official" SNES controllers from many years ago that have little or no use.

That's why i'm leaning toward the adapter instead of buying 1 USB controller - if I use a controller a lot (or drop it) and wear it down (or break it) i've got backups.

Money is very tight right now and using emulation for a system I don't intend (or am able) to invest much $ in is fantastic.

Thanks.

I own both so I hope I can be qualifed enough to help. ;)

I play a SNES emulator all the time myself (I use emulation for almost all my game needs these days) so having a good controller was important to me.

The answer really depends on if you can get a GOOD original SNES controller and how you feel about third party ones. It also depends, I think, on how you feel about the SNES controller to start with. You can get the SNES USB controller for cheaper, on average, then you can to get a original model controller PLUS the adapater.

But I think it's better to get the actually controller and then the adapter....that way, you don't have any issue. Even the best third party controller just isn't QUITE as good as a original controller.

Problem is, getting a good first generation controler. They can be hard to find on EBay and can end up going for more then you may want to spend. I had problems before I finally got one that was in very good shape. The controllers that Nintendo shipped with the SNES 2 are not, IMHO, as good as the original ones.

Some third party controllers have the advantage of Turbo and Slow built into them if you like that also, or if you don't care much for the SNES controller to start with (it's one of my personal favorite controllers). So they have that advanatge.

If you need help finding some of this stuff, let me know. Stone Age Gamer sells the third party SNES controllers plus the adapters, and I can highly suggest his store. Plus I have a spare original SNES controller and third party one hanging around here also I'd be willing to sell.

Hope tha was some help! :)

This is where I got my SNES USB controller adapater at, and I can highly suggest these guys also:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

They also sell a original controller that has been upgraded to USB, but I never tried that one.

I can recommend these guys too. I have that adapter and its great!

No answers from me, but some things to keep in mind.

The SNES->USB adapter will give you the best feel, using your own first-party SNES pads (or whatever you like), but you're limited to only those 8 buttons. If you're doing emulation, it's nice to have extra buttons for additional emulator features like turbo & rewind.

• 2 months later...