IGNORED

Turbo Tape on the C64

(I didn't think this post was appropriate for the Marketplace - if not, please move)

I'm looking for a favour - specificially in the form of a copy of Turbo Tape 64.

When I (foolishly) sold my C64 in my youth, I (really foolishly) included all the disks and tapes with my own stuff that I wrote in the day. Really bad move, since I will never see those again, and I would have loved to have seen how those games compare to my foggy memory of them.

Except, I did find two dusty old tapes of mine recently. Some programs were written/saved in Simons' Basic, and I was able to get one of them to load again (and it was a game I had completely forgotten I had written), but some of the others were saved on Turbo Tape. (I'm not sure if there are different versions - this one was in Germany, you used <-L to load programs). I don't have a Turbo Tape tape anymore.

Would someone be kind enough and able to make me a copy of theirs on a single tape and send it to me (Canada). I would of course pay you for shipping and nice cup of coffee for the wait at the post office. :)

I'd love to see what else is on those tapes (if I can get them to load).

Thanks (hopefully) in advance,

Patrick

i dunno if this is what you mean MS

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/documents/projects/interfaces/soundcard2tape.html

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=47403

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_Datasette (look for section marked 'Well known fast loader software')

there are others, just type in 'c64 turbo tape' into yahoo/*oogle or your prefered s/e)

Looks like the people on lemon64.com helped you out. You might want to check out the tape file utilities if you need to convert a tape image to a wave file.

In case someone else goes searching:

C64 Link

Vic20 Turbotape 2.0 (with source)

Multiplatform (C64,Plus/4,C16) and tape file utilities

A C128 version was mentioned but I didn't find it.

Except, I did find two dusty old tapes of mine recently. Some programs were written/saved in Simons' Basic, and I was able to get one of them to load again (and it was a game I had completely forgotten I had written), but some of the others were saved on Turbo Tape. (I'm not sure if there are different versions - this one was in Germany, you used <-L to load programs). I don't have a Turbo Tape tape anymore.

I wish you luck, a lot of luck. Turbo Tape is much more sensitive than the slow original routines. Actually I am surprised that you were able to load anything at all.

I wish you luck, a lot of luck. Turbo Tape is much more sensitive than the slow original routines. Actually I am surprised that you were able to load anything at all.

Ya, I know this might be just a shot in the dark. The one tape had one program on it that was saved without Turbo Tape (it was a game I had written in Simons' Basic). Initial loading attempts produced nothing but errors. Then I remembered hearing that different Datasette drives had different "sensitivities" (for lack of a better word). Luckily (?) I have three of them right now, and the third one was the charm! Couldn't believe my luck when it did load - I grabbed my camera and recorded the entire playing process, just in case this is the last time it'll ever work. :)

(and, by the way, the game was _nothing_ like I remembered it. That's what 20 years of memory loss does to you)

• 1 month later...

I don't have a tape recorder but I have a turbo tape in wav format if you like. It's 'Super Tape Turbo by Elgar'.

You'd need to either record to tape, or you can play it out of your sound card straight into the datasette using one of those car stereo cassette adapters.