IGNORED

FF7 or FF8??

ShinRyu05

I liked FF7 more. I found it possible to actually sympathize with the characters while I was on the railroad tracks. Plus, it was a good train ride. And the actual game elements, while sparse, kept my interest.

Personally, I hated FF8. To me, it seemed a shame that such nice art design and character design had gone to absolute waste. I couldn't empathize with the characters, the story was boring, and the magic system had been completely ruined.

I can't answer because I had no interest in FF7 at all. I wound up picking FF8 up used, but it was missing a disc so I returned it. I wasn't all that interested in it anyways. FF9 I do want to play. I think FF got too far away from the wizards and swords and to much into the Sci-fi future genre for awhile there...really turned me off.

well a good 90% of the people i have talked to regarding these too games have said that 7 is the better one, and yeh what is with the magic system, you have to take it from enemies in order to use it, whats up with that. the thing that worries me about 7 is the materia, i think that could get a little confusing later on

They're both great games, but I'd go with 7 first. FF 7 is more of a straight forward FF game with many familiar elements. FF 8 is a very strange off-shoot with a bunch of new gameplay ideas that are hard to get used to. Also the story for FF 8 is slow and takes awhile to get into where as FF 7 starts out fast and intersting.

Tempest

Seeing as how FF7 was the game that got me into RPG's, I really can't fault it in any way. I fell in love with the characters, I loved the customization available with materia, and I even played the game through a second time just to beat all the Weapons (it can be done, but it requires a lot of tricks and a little good luck).

FF8 has some things that FF7 can't match though. It looks better (a stunning visual upgrade considering it's still on a PSOne), it has spectacular GF (or aeons, or whatever you want to call them), and the ridiculously addictive card game. I know some people hate FF8 though because they hate having to "draw" magic for player stats (and it does get kinda complicated) and the fact the game has a lot more modern and less "fantasy" feel to it.

In my opinion though, there's no reason not to play both. FF7 is the definitive, it's a classic. FF8 is a different twist with better visual appeal. They're both great games all around.

yeh junctioning was a little difficult for me to understand, is assigning a GF to a character, similar to assigning a materia to a weapon?

A little bit. When you junction a GF to a character, it can affect your player stats in several ways, and how you develop the GF and what you do to the GF will as well. The game even explains this by saying that GF junctioning is so powerful it causes blackouts and memory loss. :D

yeh junctioning was a little difficult for me to understand, is assigning a GF to a character, similar to assigning a materia to a weapon?

A little bit. When you junction a GF to a character, it can affect your player stats in several ways, and how you develop the GF and what you do to the GF will as well. The game even explains this by saying that GF junctioning is so powerful it causes blackouts and memory loss. :D

but they both affect the customization of characters right

I didn't really like FF9, but it was good in the aspect that it returned the game to its more classic feel. FF9 also struck me as being hard. Other's mileage may vary. It's very possible the massive number of ridiculously easy RPGs of recent years have made me soft.

FF6 is definitely my favorite, but FF7 is a close second.

FF3 (US) :D

to answer your question I'd defiantely have to say FF7

FF8 is very weird how they try to do the magic, the charcters IMO, suck......I actually was waiting (hoping) for them to die...especially the "brooding" young punk.....leon?? I can't remember his name right now, I made it thru two discs on that one, and thats where it stands, whereas FF7 I played straight thru, more fun I guess

how is 9 different from the two, like instead of materia or GF's what do thye have? any info on this game would be nice

the most obvious difference in IX is the art style, square went back to the older style and used the deformed characters. i dont know much about the game itself, i only played a little bit, but i did enjoy that little bit.