IGNORED

Cleaning a Dreamcast

Cliff Friedel

Hey everyone. Got a Dreamcast today cheap ($15 with a racing wheel) but it is absolutely filthy and appears to be covered in some marks that resemble either marker or crayon. I have tried to remove them using isopropyl alcohol, but doesn't seem to want to come off. Anyone got anything out there I can use to clean this thing without damaging the plastic? Please let me know. Thanks.

Cliff

I found the answer. Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It cleaned it up after about 45 minutes of scrubbing. Seems that they guy didn't pack anything in the box except the gear and it got bounced around on the trip. Ended up with a bad A/V cable as a result and the mess I just cleaned up. Hope the unit works now. Can't really find out until I either fix the cable or the new one gets here.

I would try to clean the contacts of the A/V cable and on the console with a dab of isopropyl alcohol on a Qtip with some fluff removed. I ran into the issue on where my connector would not work but found out the contacts on both connectors (on the cable and the console) was a tad bit dirty due to switching between a VGA box and standard RCA cables (some games do not support the VGA adapter). that is if the cables and connectors are in good shape.

The Mr Clean Magic Eraser is a awesome tool on removing marks off a case, but watch out because it can have a slight sand paper effect if rubbing too hard or scrub for too long. I found out the hard way when i was cleaning up a old Power Mac G3 AIO (some call it a Beige G3 AIO, some call it a molar Mac) that had the ID number written in permanent marker on the side of the case, after the marker was removed i found out that the magic eraser also magically erased some of the texture on the case and made it more smooth. It wasn't really noticeable but if you looked closely you could tell where i used it.

Edited by madmax2069

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is amazing... almost... magic. Seriously, as someone with kids I can attest to that thing being able to clean many things that seemed impossible to clean. You have to be careful with painted surfaces though because if you scrub too much they will take paint off.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is amazing... almost... magic. Seriously, as someone with kids I can attest to that thing being able to clean many things that seemed impossible to clean. You have to be careful with painted surfaces though because if you scrub too much they will take paint off.

I found that out by accident as well. some paint will hold up better then others.

Yep. Effectively, it is a micro-sand paper. And you do have to be careful with it. It's great for removing small surface abrasions, but not so much the deep ones.

I've heard it's about the best thing if you were to want to smooth out a textured console. Though due to lack of interest in destroying a console, I've never tried it.

I would try to clean the contacts of the A/V cable and on the console with a dab of isopropyl alcohol on a Qtip with some fluff removed. I ran into the issue on where my connector would not work but found out the contacts on both connectors (on the cable and the console) was a tad bit dirty due to switching between a VGA box and standard RCA cables (some games do not support the VGA adapter). that is if the cables and connectors are in good shape.

The Mr Clean Magic Eraser is a awesome tool on removing marks off a case, but watch out because it can have a slight sand paper effect if rubbing too hard or scrub for too long. I found out the hard way when i was cleaning up a old Power Mac G3 AIO (some call it a Beige G3 AIO, some call it a molar Mac) that had the ID number written in permanent marker on the side of the case, after the marker was removed i found out that the magic eraser also magically erased some of the texture on the case and made it more smooth. It wasn't really noticeable but if you looked closely you could tell where i used it.

The RCA video output is gone, either hacked off before shipping or it came off during shipping. Not sure which. I have a new one coming that I paid $5.00, so I am apt to wait for it instead of soldering on a new RCA plug on this one.

Cliff

Did you get any good games with it?

AX

No games, but I got the wheel, pedals, 2 controllers, a working memory card, a modem, and the unit itself. In the pic before the guy sent it, it was pristine. Because of the pack job though, it ended up as I said. I have got it back close to what it was in the pic. Need to clean up the controllers and a little more on the console and it should be good. Unit powers up, but obviously I can't test it until I get the new video cable.

Strangely, my Dreamcast and laptop bag that I keep it in smells of crayons and I don't even ever remember having it anywhere near crayons. My Virtual Boy and its bag have had the same thing going on before but I don't notice it like the Dreamcast bag anymore. I wish I knew what caused it. The only thing I could possibly think of is maybe when I moved out for the first time the backpack containing crayons, markers, colored pencils etc. traveled on top of those system's laptop bags, but I doubt it. It's really weird because that was also a couple years ago..

Strangely, my Dreamcast and laptop bag that I keep it in smells of crayons and I don't even ever remember having it anywhere near crayons. My Virtual Boy and its bag have had the same thing going on before but I don't notice it like the Dreamcast bag anymore. I wish I knew what caused it. The only thing I could possibly think of is maybe when I moved out for the first time the backpack containing crayons, markers, colored pencils etc. traveled on top of those system's laptop bags, but I doubt it. It's really weird because that was also a couple years ago..

I have a similar issue with some plastic bins I use. They have a weird smell to them if you let stuff sit in them for a while, but you don't see any sort of degradation of the plastic or anything that would make it smell. It's strange. I have thought about not using them anymore, but they literally are the perfect size for most cartridge based systems and can stack quite well.

Picked up this auction today. Should give me the opportunity to use the driving wheel and pedals and give people a chance to play dreamcast games at the DCAGE expo. I also thought $4/game wasn't too bad for what really is a beginner's collection. Let me know what you guys think:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 4001972654061?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=400197265406&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I think the only game in that list that would be fun with the a wheel is SEGA rally 2, 4x4 evo wasn't that good with the wheel (better with the controller), The Wheel i have doesn't have a D-pad so i cant switch it to 4wd from 2wd (plus the handling in 4x4 evo is weird). The game is still online though but requites a dialup connection (or PC to DC server).

The game that is a blast to play with a wheel is F355 challenge and test drive le-mans.

Q3A is also still online and also is one of the few games that allowed you to play online against PC and Mac users (4x4 evo was the other).

if you are interested in online play on the dreamcast check out http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/portal.php