IGNORED

Is there a good working playfield editor?

Tjoppen

Hi everyone. First post on these forums for me.

I've been hacking away at a couple of VCS projects for the past months, and have come across a problem that I can't imagine is very unique:

I want to create (symmetric) playfield graphics with per-line background/playfield colors. Sadly I can't find a working tool suitable for this job, so I was hoping someone has some tips.

PlayfieldPal works well enough for painting monochrome backgrounds, but doesn't do colors. This is what I've used so far, with ok-ish color tables created manually.

TiaPaint is very nice, but only works in DOSBox and only does per-frame background/playfield colors.

VCS Graphics Editor looks pretty much like what I want, but I can't get the JAR to start and the Java Web Start thing doesn't appear to work correctly.

I might end up writing my own tool, but GUI stuff isn't exactly my strong point. I'm thinking a command-line tool that takes a BMP and spits out PAL, NTSC or SECAM data. But that wouldn't be very WYSIWYG...

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

VisualbB has a playfield editor. Although VisualbB is specifically designed to be used with batari Basic, I imagine you could use it with assembly as well-- I haven't tried to do that yet (because I use Crimson Editor rather than VisualbB), and the code output from the playfield and sprite editors would be in batari Basic, but you could translate the output into assembly-compatible data statements.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-1-0-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/

Michael

VisualbB has a playfield editor. Although VisualbB is specifically designed to be used with batari Basic, I imagine you could use it with assembly as well-- I haven't tried to do that yet (because I use Crimson Editor rather than VisualbB), and the code output from the playfield and sprite editors would be in batari Basic, but you could translate the output into assembly-compatible data statements.

http://www.atariage....r-batari-basic/

Michael

While the playfield editor generates bB code, you can paste it into the included graphics converter and you can right click on bB and convert to assembly. It's a two step process, but better than doing it by hand. You can also import an image (bmp, png, gif, jpg, etc...) and convert it directly into assembly or bb.

-Jeff