IGNORED

Intellivision Flash back Wanted!

I just answered a post over at the 5200 section. Best Electronics offers rebuilt 5200 controllers that are better than the original release!

It got me thinking that we need a service like this for Intellivision or better yet, A NEW SYSTEMS!

I don't know if Curt reads this section? But I would love to see an Intellivision Flashback system!

What MY WISH LIST would include:

An SD port and a cartridge port for System changer, ESC and Voice

It would be great if the bios was based on the Tutorvision. Compatible with Intellivision, But better resolution and some additional software!

Original Bubble controllers. ( Here is the ultimate wish.... Both Original connection and 9 Pin D-Sub ports. Or a Converter to use either type. )

That way, Controllers could also be sold separately. (fixing some original hardware as well)

Perhaps... Voice built in, ESC built in. Either way, 4 controller ports could be enabled.

This would be great for home brew! Of course Keith R. would have to be on board ( holding the rights to this stuff )

Keith had talked about releasing the Mangus Board or something like that.. for Intellivision development.

We don't need that hardware anymore, but the development manual used by the original developers would be cool to release with this too.

OKAY, My 2011 wish list may have just been exhausted, but I had to do it!

Well, you're not the first one to think along similar lines. I wrote something last year about the problems of creating a Flashback-style Intellivision system:

I seem to remember somebody asking this question before, but anyway ...

The problem with the Intellivision is that a lot of its hardware (the GI 1610, the STIC chip, etc) wasn't used in anything other than the Intellivision, so it would be more difficult to replicate in an integrated chipset than a console based on a 6502 or a Z80, for which there are off-the-shelf implementations available. The controllers are also more difficult to replicate, since they would require a sixteen-direction disc and an overlay system of some kind. The Flashback 2 also had the advantage of "Atari nostalgia," whereas the Intellivision only sold about one-fourth as many consoles as the 2600 did and doesn't have the same level of name recognition among the general public. That's not to say that a lot of people wouldn't enjoy having a real Intellivision console, but it would be a much different business proposition.

I actually liked the concept of the Intellivision X-in-1 controllers: repackage the Intellivision games, but present them in a way that is more accessible for kids and casual gamers. The problem was that the versions of the games that Techno Source used were "undercooked," just like the games in a lot of the other plug-and-play consoles (like the Jakks Atari joystick and the Flashback 1). In my opinion, Digital Eclipse did it the right way with the Atari 13-in-1 Paddle for Jakks Pacific: use some sort of emulation, or some version of the original code re-engineered for the hardware in the handheld, instead of trying to reprogram all of the games from scratch. Perhaps this simply wasn't feasible, given that the Intellivision X-in-1 handhelds used the same generic Nintendo-on-a-Chip that a lot of these other plug-and-play units did; it's actually less powerful than the original Intellivision in certain ways. They did a somewhat better job on their 10-in-1 Second Edition controller (and made some interesting enhancements to Astrosmash, as I recall), but it wasn't enough.

I remember that Keith Robinson was asked about this once (five years ago or so), and he also said that the cost of reproducing the Intellivision hardware was too great. But, he seemed to think that a platform powerful enough to emulate the Intellivision would soon be cheap enough and efficient enough to use in a battery-powered handheld or in an inexpensive Flashback-style console, so perhaps that's something they'll look into now that Intellivision Lives! DS has finally made it out. Personally, I'd rather see them release the rare cartridge reproductions that they've been talking about for a few years now: I'd love to get my hands on a new copy of Spiker! or Stadium Mud Buggies.

Hand held..?

I actually like the original controller a lot. If the controls where similar. Maybe.

I had high hopes for the DS release, however it was not well done. Collision detection is awful, 2 player games require 2 DS's.. Bad idea!

I want to play the driving game in triple action but cannot. Auto Racing is better as a one player game. Sharp Shot etc. etc. etc.

I also think some games should have used the touch screen as the disc instead of the d-pad. Bowling for example needs 16 directions to play properly.

Maybe a version 2 or better yet a home brew that will let us play TRON etc.

But I am still hoping for a flashback type system. I will gladly preorder a few of them if it helps. LOL

Even, invest if that helps. The Atari Flashback 2 sold so well, it had a flashback 2+ and a TON of Chinese knock offs in major outlets.

If it sell a third as well, it is worth the effort. I say a third because intellivision sold about a third as well as atari 2600.

How many of the awful direct to tv intellivision units sold? Enough for a second version at least. Yeah, I have a few of these...But I love Intellivision :)

I think the 1600 and stick etc. can be put on a single chip. But this is not something I know about. But Curt, Eduardo etc. could give us a clue.

Be well

Y, I have asked in a thread before for INTV Flashback. Maybe they don't think there would be enough interest among the general public to warrant the production costs?

So not a fan of the 20 in 1 game systems eh? I tried those for a while.

Really, have you tried the Cuttle Cart 3 yet for the vintage Intellivision? Let's you load games on a standard Intellivision.

Really, have you tried the Cuttle Cart 3 yet for the vintage Intellivision? Let's you load games on a standard Intellivision.

Excellent product. It's expensive, but I can't recommend it highly enough. I own 93 unique Intellivision titles on original cartridges, and more often than not I still use the CC3 because it's so convenient and has so many great features. The CC3 inspired many of the features of my own Aquaricart, in fact, although they're very different products.

The CC3...

Awesome, I actually already have it! I also have the add-on from David as well.

I have every released cart for the Intellivision. ( Spiker does not work! ) But thanks to the CC3, I have it again :)

I also have 4-tris, Stonix, Same Game& Robots, Mine Sweeper or is it Hunter? Anyway, I have that one too.

Of course Emulation, The crappy direct to tv's and the DS release.

So why do I want a Flashback type system?

1. better quality AV out on my HD TV.

2. I cannot afford to provide a similar collection of hardware and software to my brother, sisters, nieces and nephews. Not to mention friends I used to play against back in the day. ( Yeah, I'd be giving a bunch of these away. )

3. An excuse to have controllers built again! Can get a lot of the Haters to use the system with responsive controllers, as intended.

4. ( NEW ADDITION! ) Net Play! It would be great to have an internet connection..... Play old and new friends on-line. ( this was a vision the Intellivision team had in mind for the Intellivision 4 anyway. ) PS. No one can beat me at MLB! Gauntlet dropped! LOL

5. Just because it would be cool........

Let addition... ATARI has it! Can we let them out do us even once?

• Like 1