IGNORED

Source for a 9 pin connector and wire

killersquirel

Hi All,

I'm looking into building a controller for the atari 2600 (and maybe 7800 as well). Does anybody know of a place where I can buy a 9pin female joystick connector (db9) that is either already wired or able to wire it up and still look somewhat professional (i.e. no open wires) when finished? Thanks in advance.

-mike

Any modern PC's COM (serial) port extension cable will do. No shortage of those.

I believe the issue is that he is looking for a joystick type connector, one without the mounting ears/screws.

Yep. I am sure he wants it to look good. As far as extension cables go, the Atari/sega type extension cords have become hard to find. You certainly can't find them for cheap in bulk like you used to.

Chop the cable off of a Sega Genesis controller. They're cheap and all 9 wires are populated.

Surely there is a better solution than this...

I"m sure there is, depending on your definition of "better".

Manufacturing new ones would be better in that you don't have to destroy a dwindling resource to do it. But, that'd get pricey.

Finding a cache of NOS cables would be nice. I bought some old Atari computer interface boxes of some sort (with RCA jacks) one time, NOS, but the cables were only two feet long.

Edited by BigO