IGNORED

Second to last Super Mario update

jbs30000

OK, after struggling to rewrite my game with decent code, descriptive variables, and adding a bunch of things I left out of my first game, I am now finally at the point when I decided to rewrite the game. (Hope you understood all that).

The game is written under the standard kernel and not the DPC+ kernel.

Here's some improvements from when I wrote the game the first time.

• Landing on a Goomba or turtle will make Mario bounce, just like in the official games.
  • Landing on the turtle will flip him on his back and he won't move.
  • Landing on the turtle again will flip him back and his feet and he'll walk away.
    • Unfortunately you can't push the turtle and make him slide into and kill Goombas.

[*]When Mario dies it's the way he dies in the arcade and NES games (minus the music).

There are some glitches with the collision routine. Sometimes Mario will kill a goomba simply by walking into it and other time he'll land on a Goomba and it walks away unharmed.

Here's what I still need to add.

• Jumping into a power-up brick and causing a mushroom, fire plant, star, or coin to pop out (I have a plan on how to do that).
  • Large Mario jumping into and empty brick and destroying it.
  • Causing Mario to lower the flag and walk into the castle when he reaches the end of the game.
  • One or two other things I'm forgetting right now.

OK, now that the code is decent I'll post the project (I'm using Visual bB) for anybody who is interested. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the code, or wonder how or why I did something I'm happy to listen to you or give you whatever information that you want.

Oh, and PAC-MAN-RED, I hope you like the sprites. If not, tell me what you think would improve them, and I'll try it out.

Edit: I forgot to add the files. Here we go

Main.bas.bin

Super Mario 2.zip

Edited by jbs30000

Thank you.

I forgot to mention that when falling you'll occasionally see a bar under Mario's feet. That's the ball (I can't use Missile 1 or 2 since I'm using player1colors and no_blank_lines). It looks a little annoying at times, but it helps make sure that Mario lands on pipes, bricks, or the ground properly.

Also, I need to make a routine to make the ball a "fire ball" that Fire Mario can shoot.

Have you tried the new version of bB with 10 multicolored sprites yet?

No. Future games I make will use the new bB, but I'm completing the game on the current version.

I think I said this before, but from time to time I get errors or problems that nobody else gets. I want to wait until all of the bugs are worked out of the new version before I use it. I don't want to annoy people by posting a lot of problems and asking, "Is it just me or is it a bB bug?".

Sorry I'm a day late, but it was a longer day than usual yesterday. :P I noticed that the walk cycle for the small Mario uses the Still frame plus two other Mario walking frames. I'm not sure if you had intended the Still frame to be in there, but it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb, or should I say, chin. :P In the Still frame Mario's chin is not as long, but in the other two frames, his chin is longer. That's my only point of contention. :) Good work. :thumbsup:

Illya

Sorry I'm a day late, but it was a longer day than usual yesterday. :P I noticed that the walk cycle for the small Mario uses the Still frame plus two other Mario walking frames. I'm not sure if you had intended the Still frame to be in there, but it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb, or should I say, chin. :P In the Still frame Mario's chin is not as long, but in the other two frames, his chin is longer. That's my only point of contention. :) Good work. :thumbsup:

Illya

I did it on purpose. I didn't notice Mario's chin. It should be the same on all of them. I'll check that out. Thank you.

Dang it. The collision code was only written for Mario touching an enemy. There are only ever two enemies on screen, Enemy 1 and Enemy 2. Enemy 1 can also be a power-up item: mushroom, fire plant, star, or coin; So I rewrote the collision code to take the appropriate action if Mario hits a power-up item. The only problem now is that if Enemy 1 is a Goomba, if it hits Mario he becomes large, as if Enemy 1 was a mushroom.

I made a couple of minor tweaks to make sure that what kind of enemy or power-up item Enemy 1 is, is done correctly, but I still have the error. This sucks.

• 1 month later...

A month ago I started a new job. That, and a few other things that have happened, along with the problems in my program have made me lose my interest in continuing this program.

I wasn't planning on it, but I might just wait until an official version of the DPC+ version bB comes out. It should make programming easier for me, and I think I'll be able to avoid two problems that I seem to be having with the current standard version of bB.

I wasn't planning on it, but I might just wait until an official version of the DPC+ version bB comes out. It should make programming easier for me, and I think I'll be able to avoid two problems that I seem to be having with the current standard version of bB.

Can't wait for that official version. Imagine all the stuff we'll be able to do with 10 multicolored single-height sprites and a more detailed playfield. Fun, fun, fun.

It will be nice having multiple sprites built in to the kernel but not having to use a mirrored playfield to do so.

Yeah, that's one of the best things about it. I should have said "a more detailed asymmetric playfield."

Edited by Random Terrain

• 3 months later...