IGNORED

Aquarius TriFlicker Mode Demonstration

I went back yesterday and ready all of the posts on the original Aquarius Bitmap thread. I can't believe how far I've come. I really have derived quite a bit of personal satisfaction with my Aquarius projects. This last one really taxed my thinking for a long time. The results have a lot of flicker, but are interesting nonetheless, at least I think so. I want to figure out how to make the color selection in the converter more efficient and now I REALLY want a reduced flicker mode. (I am even considering allowing a "fixed palette" selection that is almost flicker free.) Here are two demo images so you can tell me what you think.

Thanks for all of your support.

poptitle.bin

britney.bin

Nice work, Chris! It's interesting to see what you've been able to do with this idea. I have a few Aquarius projects in mind after I'm finally done with the Aquaricart, and I'll almost certainly use color flickering on at least one of them to get some non-standard colors on stock hardware (provided that there isn't too much flicker involved).

Did you ever get to try those cartridge boards I sent you?

Nice work, Chris! It's interesting to see what you've been able to do with this idea. I have a few Aquarius projects in mind after I'm finally done with the Aquaricart, and I'll almost certainly use color flickering on at least one of them to get some non-standard colors on stock hardware (provided that there isn't too much flicker involved).

Did you ever get to try those cartridge boards I sent you?

Been spending all of my time programming this... not easy to find the right characters when you have 511x511x511. The color palette matching is still too slow. The very next thing I am going to do is to put some of these programs on eproms and run them on a real aquarius. I still have to find a better watch to match colors in order to release the converter.

But now I have too many converters... no flicker, flicker and triflicker, bloxel, full character set, graphics only, custom .... I'd like to allow it to set a border color and reduce the flicker. I'd also like an interactive character picture and a preview window - but, I've never written anything with a windows gui - it was a lot for me to be able to pull up the file selection window. Now I have to decide, if it is worth it to redo the converters into a single package with better features, or are they good enough. So many decisions...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to check out your two tri-flicker samples. Very nice.

They really look superb, especially when squinting (no sarcasm). It made me question the science behind the fact that the flicker almost disappears when I squint, leaving a very detailed Britney to appear.

I love to see the "maximum" color and pixel resolution that resulted from the triple flicker. Some may find the extra flicker to be too distracting.

If you are able to pull off the optimized tri-color reduced flicker mode, as you mused, then that would be perhaps the peak of Aquarius graphic capabilities.

Still eating it up, over here.

Finally had a chance to check out your two tri-flicker samples. Very nice.

They really look superb, especially when squinting (no sarcasm). It made me question the science behind the fact that the flicker almost disappears when I squint, leaving a very detailed Britney to appear.

I love to see the "maximum" color and pixel resolution that resulted from the triple flicker. Some may find the extra flicker to be too distracting.

If you are able to pull off the optimized tri-color reduced flicker mode, as you mused, then that would be perhaps the peak of Aquarius graphic capabilities.

Still eating it up, over here.

Right now I am focused on trying to get these to work correctly on a real aquarius. I can tell you, from the bits that I have seen work right, the performance on the real thing is so much different, it is night and day. I want to get it worked out so that I could build a graphics slideshow/viewer cart with a whole bunch of demonstration pics on it - but if I can't get the viewer to work correctly, then, that isn't going to happen. Right now I am erasing my EPROMs to try out more code...