IGNORED

GBA clone from DealExtreme

SegaShooters

If you look on Youtube or Google for reviews, it seems to get generally positive comments.

I ordered one last month and I'm waiting for it to arrive. When it does I will post some comments after checking it out.

Not sure, but if you scroll down the review by tyrus claims:

Cons:

*Some of the converted nes games(games past 100) don't work correctly, not a real issue. Just delte them and install more GBA games

Hi OldSchoolRetroGamer,

I noticed that too, pretty cool how you can download ROMS onto these handhelds though.

I'm considering DealExtreme's Dingoo selling for $80.61 shipped. The native emulators seem decent and you just have to transfer ROMS into their directories, which sounds appealing without having to mess with the unit too much.

Not sure, but if you scroll down the review by tyrus claims:

Cons:

*Some of the converted nes games(games past 100) don't work correctly, not a real issue. Just delte them and install more GBA games

Hi OldSchoolRetroGamer,

I noticed that too, pretty cool how you can download ROMS onto these handhelds though.

I'm considering DealExtreme's Dingoo selling for $80.61 shipped. The native emulators seem decent and you just have to transfer ROMS into their directories, which sounds appealing without having to mess with the unit too much.

Buy the Dingoo A320. It has support for a lot more emulators, and I'm waiting for the Gemei A330 to have public Dingux support, so we can have our PS1 emulator.

Both are really good stand-alone, no real complaints on the NES emulators.

I received my GBA clone yesterday. According to the Canada Post web site, it was delayed in Customs for most of the last two weeks. This is the exact model I ordered: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-2-9-lcd-portable-handheld-game-console-with-498-built-in-games-blue-2gb-24379

Pros:

It has 2GB of internal storage. The device is pre-loaded with about 100 GBA ROMs and about 400 PocketNES conversions. It came with a North America 120v power supply to charge the internal battery. The screen is very bright and clear. The fit and finish are surprisingly good - at casual inspection, this clone looks and feels exactly like a real GBA. The unit does weigh somewhat lighter; I suspect the plastic shell is not as thick, but the unit feels solid and has no 'creakiness' or flimsiness to it. It does not take AA batteries, but has a replaceable battery that is apparently a SP-compatible, and you can still find those on eBay. I charged the clone fully, and played it for about an hour last night. This seemed to drain the battery about 15% to 20%, so I am guessing that a full charge will last about 4 to 5 hours.

Cons:

The GBA link port is strictly for charging the battery and loading ROMs from your PC's USB port (cables are included). Of the included GBA ROMs, the compatibility seems very good, with very little frameskip. I understand that if you load additional GBA ROMs, there is a compatibility rate of about 95%. The PocketNES games are not as good, with some minor framskip.

The screen resolution doesn't quite seem the same as a real GBA, as I notice some minor pixellation effects.

I haven't tried plugging in any GBA carts or connecting it to a PC to transfer any other GBA ROMs to it; I'll try tonight and post an update tomorrow. I plan to take a complete backup of everything on the unit, then wipe off the games I don't like and load some other GBA ROMs that I do enjoy and aren't included with the unit.

• Like 1

More:

I added about additional 20 GBA ROMs, and gave about half a dozen some play time last night.

The good news is that the compatibility rate is very high; I could not find a ROM that wouldn't run. A couple of games that are heavy with 3D polygons, Star-X and Drome Racer, ran sluggishly. Other than that, other ROMs ran well, with very little frameskip or glitches.

I had no problem at all with saving games.

As mentioned above, the screen resolution of the backlit screen seems to be a bit different from the standard 240×160 GBA, so graphics sometimes look a bit pixellated. This is minor enough that it can be ignored. The backlighting is very bright and the screen is very clear. If anything, I would like to lower the brightness a notch or two to save on the battery draw, but I haven't figure out if that is possible.

There is some bad news; I find the battery life is not impressive. I played the unit for maybe 80 or 90 minutes on a full charge, and the indicator went from full down to about halfway. I will try more this weekend and figure out what the battery life is, but I suspect it is only about 2.5 to 3 hours. Even if it is a rechargable battery this is a real negative.

Edited by ls650

I would take this opportunity to build a battery pack for it that bolts on to the back of it, going through the charger port if possible. Drill battery cells work great, they are high capacity and are made for heavy amp draws. Harbor Freight has them cheap.

So far I like what I hear!

• 2 weeks later...