IGNORED

Worst games you've ever played?

Pong

I don't play bad games long enough to even remember them or put them in a list. It's counter productive to focus on what I didn't like. Why try to wrap your brain around something(s) you didn't enjoy? only makes sense if you're attracted to pain.

well, there are games that are so bad and glitchy that its fun to screw around with them, like Action 52. Its not worth spending some big $$ to buy them, but its interesting to see how bad they are in emulators.

Especially since Action 52 is so bad that it self-destructs. That's actually true, play it for 2 days, if you can. Then get a new console.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - PS2

I'm curious what you didn't like about this game? I'm a huge fan of the Metal Gear series(recently beat all 4 in order) so I'm curious as to what you didn't like about it. Was it Raiden's disturbingly womanly figure? :lol:

I count six main titles.

METAL GEAR (but not the NES version)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

Metal Gear Solid 4

Also, I remembered about Superman 64. Oh, how I hated that game. I can still read that flashing text, so that isn't a problem, but it's hard.

I didn't count Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2, only the PS games. I always assumed MG and MG2 weren't essential to the story seeing as there was no port for them or remake in the Metal Gear essential collection.

A lot of the really bad games I got into much later so they didn't really catch me by surprise. Their reputation proceeded them, and I was prepared for them. Nobody goes into Plumbers Don't Wear Ties with an open mind these days.

But looking back there have been games that really surprised me with their awful quality.

Dirty Harry for NES comes to mind. I played that game until I could beat it at every sitting. I don't know why. If only I had spent that time learning to play the piano or cutting myself.

Why would you put "Super Mario" games on your list? Even if you don't care for platformers and dislike Mario as a character, you have to admit these are well programmed (not full of glitches), visually appealing and playable. You must have played far worse than those. But thumbs up for taking an unpopular stance.

Well, he admits that that only SNES game he's played is Super Mario World... so it's also the best SNES game he's ever played, too.

Why would you put "Super Mario" games on your list? Even if you don't care for platformers and dislike Mario as a character, you have to admit these are well programmed (not full of glitches), visually appealing and playable. You must have played far worse than those. But thumbs up for taking an unpopular stance.

Well, he admits that that only SNES game he's played is Super Mario World... so it's also the best SNES game he's ever played, too.

I have no idea where you got that from. I have played TONS of SNES games over the years.

007: Quantum of Solice for the DS is an unplayable sh!t heap. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (360) was extremely disappointing. Mario is Missing (NES) ain't so hot either.

But in terms of "everything from Nintendo sucks, etc" that's just crazy talk!

The same company keeps on making this sh!t for DS. They're like the LJN of today.

Impossimole on the TG16. That game is complete shit. The opening music is ear bleeding bad, the design is lame (as it the main character) and but the gameplay... ugh. Playing the game is an exercise in torture.

NES: hmm... way too many to list.

SNES: Not really sure. I've played some mediocre games, but none that come off as 'worst' game on the system.

Genesis: Hmm... Greendog? Taz? Lot of stinkers on that system.

SMS: Dunno.

GG: too many to list. Out of 30 games I have for it, maybe 5 are worth playing :(

Lynx: almost everything? J/k Dunno. I've only played a few games and they were stinkers.

Seconded on Awesome Possum (Genesis) and Sssnake (VCS). I don't know if they're really the worst games on their respective systems per se, but they're certainly among the most inexcusable.

Not sure what the worst Intellivision game is. Carnival is a terrible conversion, but if you turn the sound off it still has the faint outlines of a decent game. Las Vegas Roulette was just a bad idea, but it's perfectly competent at what it does do. Blockade Runner seems unplayable, but I still want to believe that it can be figured out. Maybe Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back?

A couple more candidates:

Odyssey^2 - Hockey/Soccer (basically unplayable)

SNES - Race Drivin' (should never have been attempted without an enhancement chip)

BTW I actually like Airlock and Sword of Sodan!

Edited by thegoldenband

NES: hmm... way too many to list.

Funny how many mistook the Nintendo seal of quality on the box to mean they were getting a quality game. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Yeah, but I don't know of a single person that cared or even recognized that seal on NES boxes. We almost always knew what games were gonna be good and which ones sucked. But then again, we rented a lot of random games out of chance - so that's where the worst ones we experienced came from.

Game Boy: Mortal Kombat - horribly delayed inputs and non existant AI

2600: Donkey Kong Jr

Game Gear: Chicago Syndicate

Intellivision: Zaxxon

Colecovision: Space Fury

SNES: Raiden Trad

7800: Galaga (out of what I have, only played Karateka via emulation)

Game.com: Not a lot of good stuff, but Indy 500 is especially horrible. Funny how Best Buy sold games for this system for a penny. That's how much I paid for Indy 500 and it still felt like a waste of money.

Master System: Moonwalker. Limited move set compared to Genesis and cheap placement of enemies.

PSX: I rented San Francisco Rush once. Terrible conversion with no sense of speed.

Edited by BrianC

I had a 7800 back in the day, and I never played this game until quite recently. It's staggering how bad it is, considering that "arcade ports" are just about the only redeeming quality of that system.

One I forgot:

Arcade Classics Genesis - Instead of arcade ports of Missile Command and Centipede, it has terrible ports of the 2600 Missile Command and the 7800 Centipede that do neither version justice (and I love both the 2600 missile command and 7800 Centipede). This collection suffers from a terrible framerate (which wasn't the case with 2600 missile command or Centipede 7800), as well.

When I think of worst games I've ever played, all that comes to mind is Shadow the Hedgehog. Bad level design, awful voice characterization, campy story, and horrid control make this one of the biggest disgraces to the Sonic name to ever exist. Only Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and Sonic Genesis beat it out.

Dragon's Lair on the NES. What a gigantic pile of SHIT that game is. Unbelievable that something like that could ever get released. I don't think I've ever raged harder at a game than this one.

Double Dragon on the 2600. Absolutely unplayable.

Any of the current Ninja Gaiden games. When publishers set out simply to make games as hard as they can, they can suck it.

Oh, and awesome avatar, Armonigann. You're either a fan of the 3DO, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, or the Angry Video Game Nerd. Or perhaps all three.

I had a 7800 back in the day, and I never played this game until quite recently. It's staggering how bad it is, considering that "arcade ports" are just about the only redeeming quality of that system.

Though Karateka sucks, and I'm sure we are all in agreement on that one, I totally disagreement with you on 7800 Galaga. That's an awesome port! The fast action is addicting, the controls are smooth (at least in emulation) and the mechanics work.

7800 arcade ports do tend to be a lot more difficult then their NES counterparts (Ms. Pac-Man comes to mind) but the gameplay is awesome and they are beautifully rendered.

I've played many bad games but only one made me regret spending any kind of money on it: Panic! for SegaCD. Technically it's not even a game, but passing itself off as one is what makes it so heinous.

Any of the current Ninja Gaiden games. When publishers set out simply to make games as hard as they can, they can suck it.

Oh, and awesome avatar, Armonigann. You're either a fan of the 3DO, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, or the Angry Video Game Nerd. Or perhaps all three.

I don't know....I'm not usually very good with extremely fast paced action games, and I eventually beat the original Ninja Gaiden re-boot on Xbox. It was by no means easy, but I never felt like throwing the controller or anything, and got a real sense of accomplishment after I finished. I never played Black or any Gaiden's since though, so maybe they've gotten more 'extreme' (that last part said in my best monster car show commercial voice).

Good spy on the avatar....I never would have noticed that by just looking through the posts here, but when you called attention to it it stuck right out. Wow, that review was hillarious.