IGNORED

Commodore 64 takes off in USA

The Wiki entry from the C64 fanboys is wrong as usual, mentioning C64 selling 2 mill a year.

And I still believe the total sales of 12.5 mill - 17 mill is way over inflated.

1 Million was the first year. Sales continued to increase after that.

Atari fanboy is wrong... as usual.

And I've never even owned a C64 so don't accuse me of being a C64 fanboy.

I remember that article. I got one in 85'. My decision? I flipped through all the EG magazines and counted how many games were on the C64 and it beat out everything else (except the Apple). Almost all my friends had one at school because the damn thing was so affordable with tons of games.

Yep, if you were into video gaming, you really couldn't make a better choice between about 1984 and 1986 than to get a C=64. They were incredibly cheap, and the games were plentiful and easily available.

Of course, I had an Atari 1200XL in 1984, and by 1986 had an Apple //c. Which means that between the two (plus their peripherals) I paid at least five times what someone who got a C=64 would have paid for the same things, and ended up with less games (Atari) and then lesser graphics&sound (Apple). :roll:

Still wouldn't want to have a Commie in the house, though. That's just how I was raised. :D

And I still believe the total sales of 12.5 mill - 17 mill is way over inflated.

Oh, I don't know. I think I must have seen at least 10 million myself at garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores during the '90s. I've only ever seen a total of 3 Atari computers at the same... ever. It may be partially a regional thing also. At any rate there were a hellofalotta C64's made.