IGNORED

Coming Soon - Jungle King!

Kjmann

The C64 one is pretty poor looking, the buggy's about all it's got going for it.

You can do VBXE dev work just fine using Altirra - I just test stuff periodically on the real hardware.

The way I'd go with conversions using VBXE sprites - just leave the PMGs as they are, they're still useful as collision triggers. Just change the colour and priority such that they never get displayed.

Also you can use VBXE priority to mask PMGs, but then you'd have to do background colour matching as well.

I think this is totally great. Good job on all of that as the music totally makes it feel like the arcade game! Makes you wonder why they didn't bother at least putting some semblance of the music in the original.

To me, Jungle Hunt was always such a pale shadow of the original Jungle King (the game I originally knew). I'd be looking forward to the graphic changes. And the ending kiss sequence, while not totally necessary, would be icing on the cake. :)

In regards to Moon Patrol.. I've always thought it was one of the better ports so there's not a whole lot to be changed except of course maybe some graphic tweaks, especially the car of course.

If you're looking for any other suggestions, I've always thought modifying 8bit Pengo to use the original "Popcorn" music would have been a nice one. (First minute of vid only) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mw-XkalHUg

If you're looking for any other suggestions, I've always thought modifying 8bit Pengo to use the original "Popcorn" music would have been a nice one.

I think there's an alternate arcade version of Pengo that has the same tune as the 800/5200, from what I remember when trying the game out. I noticed the 5200 Pengo has an extra back beat to the music that the 800 version lacks. I found out the JP Mega Drive version in classic mode also lacks Popcorn (and, from what I remember, has music different from the alternate arcade music). The Saturn and JP (but not US?/EU) GG ports have Popcorn, though.

If you're looking for any other suggestions, I've always thought modifying 8bit Pengo to use the original "Popcorn" music would have been a nice one.

I think there's an alternate arcade version of Pengo that has the same tune as the 800/5200,

Yes absolutely. The US arcade version had that alternate music (and I think many of them didn't even have that "ice clearing" at the beginning of each stage for some strange reason). I've always thought that since the US version had that music, then that is why Atari decided to use that particular tune on their home ports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOgGNjihgbE

I found out the JP Mega Drive version in classic mode also lacks Popcorn (and, from what I remember, has music different from the alternate arcade music). The Saturn and JP (but not US?/EU) GG ports have Popcorn, though.

I'll have to check out the Saturn version sometime. I do have the GG version in cart form and the Megadrive ROM somewhere. Pretty interesting.

Jesus... what a difference... ;)

get at atari.fandal.cz download this version...

then enter the monitor by hitting F8... and change the following with the Assembler command:

7A2C:A5 07 LDA $07 ;CMCMD

7A2E:8D 00 D4 STA $D400 ;DMACTL

7A31:AD 0F D2 LDA $D20F ;SKSTAT

> a 7a2c

Simple assembler (enter empty line to exit)

7A2C : lda #$3f

7A2E :

> cont

0 0 8107:D0 FC BNE $8105

and here you go... looks much better... ;) just to get a qick feeling for "fullscreen mode"

Thoughts...

Adding the music to Jungle Hunt really adds to the gameplay and arcade feel.

Moon Patrol... I would love the better fonts and better buggy graphics at least. It is actually not a bad game. Don't forget us non VBXE users when you make the mod please. :)

Pengo... Used the music "Popcorn" eh? Kewl! That would certainly make that game like 3x more fun.

But then I just like "Popcorn" as a song.

• Like 1

Hi, great another remake.

I just want to say something about re-defining 'our guy' sprite shapes:

It will look good/real if all them seems equal.

The walking/jumping he's small and fat... but on the water it's extended and like that the Legs have a double width Player...

It would look better, probably if it is a little bit more tall in the jumping/walking sections but in a way that it looks the same on the section.

But here on the diving section, in a way that his Legs didn't need a double width Player.

The good is that it looks the same, if it's in vertical or in horizontal position...

Just a thought...

José Pereira.