IGNORED

7800 Joypad VS NES Pad Conversions: Which do you prefer?

Dr Manhattan

7800 Joypad VS NES Pad Conversions for the 7800.

For those of you who have tried both, which do you prefer?

How do the buttons and the d-pad compare on the two controllers? Which controller is more precise?

How deep are the buttons on the 7800 pad? How does that depth compare to the NES buttons?

Basically tell me anything your can. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Haven't played one of the converted NES pads for use on the 7800, but In terms of general use, the feel and play action of the the NES pads win hands down , in my opinion. Longed to get the 7800 D pads for awhile, but was ultimately disappointed when I got some. They offer better control than the stock joystick, for me, but the hard plastic feel, with it's hard edge, small buttonss and it's general half-hearted aesthetics left me personally wanting for something better. :/

• Like 1

Haven't played one of the converted NES pads for use on the 7800, but In terms of general use, the feel and play action of the the NES pads win hands down , in my opinion. Longed to get the 7800 D pads for awhile, but was ultimately disappointed when I got some. They offer better control than the stock joystick, for me, but the hard plastic feel, with it's hard edge, small buttonss and it's general half-hearted aesthetics left me personally wanting for something better. :/

Yeah, what he said. The NES converted pads are much, much better to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like the NES pad but I hate the idea of playing my Atari 7800 with something that says "nintendo" on it. I know that's a petty concern but I'm an obsessive Atari fan.

My main concern with the Joypad is the buttons. They're kinda low in relation to the d-pad. Without trying one in person I don't know how deep or repsonsive they are. Button depth is always important to me. I'm not a huge Sony fan but I've always loved the buttons on the PS consoles mainly because they are low and easy to pound.

The buttons are "meh" on the 7800 pad and are spaced out much farther than on your usual console controller. Regardless, they still get the job done as most games use one button. No big deal. The problem with the controller, IMO, is that the d-pad is terrible. It's too easy to accidentally go diagonally when you do not want to, whereas the NES pad offers unmatched precision for that era of gaming. Having the stick in makes it even easier to go in a direction you don't mean to, and taking it out leaves a large hole that makes the pad awkward to use. It's an interesting novelty, but I really cannot recommend it. For those one button games, a Genesis pad is excellent (I was using my Genny six button on it last night!). If you really, really need to play the two-button games, a converted NES pad is surely the way to go. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I've never used a 7800 controller before. But the nes much better. I don't have a converted pad. But I use a nes pad on my sears tele 6 switch. Works great for space invaders 112 and jungle hunt. Except back in the day the nes pad was not ergonomic so it caused lot of hand cramps. Actually I use a dogbone nes controller for that reason. I have a write up inn the 2600 section describing how.

Edited by 0078265317
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just got the 7800 joypad today and I kinda like it, but I also wish it was more like the NES gamepad as far as responsiveness and precision. I don't really have too much of a problem with the way the buttons are spaced or how they feel when pressed, but I am rather disappointed in the quality of the D pad... it just doesn't respond well. The overall design of it is pretty cool and almost looks as if it were designed to be included with the XEGS, only in a grey with pastel buttons... it has the same styling cues.

Just got the 7800 joypad today and I kinda like it, but I also wish it was more like the NES gamepad as far as responsiveness and precision. I don't really have too much of a problem with the way the buttons are spaced or how they feel when pressed, but I am rather disappointed in the quality of the D pad... it just doesn't respond well. The overall design of it is pretty cool and almost looks as if it were designed to be included with the XEGS, only in a grey with pastel buttons... it has the same styling cues.

Maybe it is not responding well because you have a defective one??

Maybe it is not responding well because you have a defective one??

Ha ha... RIGHT! ;)

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that maybe it just needs to be broken in.

The d-pad on my 7800 joypad has always been terrible. I've had it for about a year now; it's past the point where it needs to be broken in, and it's not defective. It's just not really very good.

I have a GoldenAx converted one. Works well with Xevious.

Maybe honebrew hacks could support the 2600 Star Raiders keypad in Port 2 and then assign the restart and pause to 2 of the buttons on it [if that's possible].

Or, is an hardware genius up to the challenge of creating a board that would allow the 7800 to fully use Jaguar pads or 5200 controllers? :)

• Like 1

What about a genesis pad rather than the nes pad. Don't those work, no mod required?

You can get one button to work, but to get two-button operation, you need to tinker. I started building a little adaptor that takes care of that. One day I'll finish. When I overcome my laziness. :)

I also have a Retro-Bit Genesis clone controller I bought for my daughter to use with the Flashback. She's 3 and she has difficulty moving the Atari joystick [the 2600 joystick] so I figured the joypad would work better for her. I have a pic of the box under my gallery. It wasn't expensive and I bought it from an independent video game store here in Sac called Fair Game.

I also have a Retro-Bit Genesis clone controller I bought for my daughter to use with the Flashback.

First off, your daughter is as cute as can be! I have a daughter her age, too. Nice to see a new generation is being raised up well as far as gaming goes. :) :thumbsup:

Secondly, I've seen those controllers in the past and wondered how they are. We have Gauntlet IV on the Genesis and so we're going to need another couple of controllers. Thanks for reminding me about them!

• Like 1

First off, your daughter is as cute as can be! I have a daughter her age, too. Nice to see a new generation is being raised up well as far as gaming goes. :) :thumbsup:

Secondly, I've seen those controllers in the past and wondered how they are. We have Gauntlet IV on the Genesis and so we're going to need another couple of controllers. Thanks for reminding me about them!

Why thank you! :) Likewise on raising them right! :)

The Retro-bit may seem a bit wonky at first - the construction of the DPad - but I enjoy using it. But without modding, like a Genesis or SMS controller, the 7800 second fire button won't be recognized.

Edited by Lynxpro