IGNORED

BOULDER DASH remake nº4?

Hi, from recent remakes I thought proposing some Games that could easilly be remaked.

I number this as nº4 taking in consideration:

-> nº1: Tezz's CHIMERA

-> nº2: Rybag's JUNGLE HUNT

-> nº3: Heaven's MOON PATROL

I think that it could be no problem into convet BOULDER DASH from Bitmap Mode into ANTIC4 5colours.

And also a DLI to get Top Status Area as different colors.

And because no need for any PMs.for the Playing Area, could be used 4Players in Multicolour for our Rockford guy.

This is just a suggestion...

post-6517-0-75742800-1300806763_thumb.png

We have the also the 25th Aniversary Picture that certainly the author wouldn't mind that it be used in the remaking:

post-6517-0-38941700-1300806975_thumb.png

But because this one uses many DLIs./PMs. it couldn't be used during Loading, just as a presentation, I have an idea for a simple Loading Screen with "decrement Loading numbers" with the Rockford Sprite that I'll post here in next days...

Just for any one thinking in remakings I also have some more, 'simple?'/'possible?', translation into ANTIC4 and/or just a PM or two to add some colours...

Greets to everyone.

José Pereir.

Edited by José Pereira

Hi José, That was the intention with the 25th anniversary version although just the intro and title animation was patched. I was intending to have Rockford in fixed colour PMG's.. you can see the intended sprite in the video on my YT channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_CTxYciOc

Download from Fandals website:

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=6059

Edited by Tezz

I think that it could be no problem into convet BOULDER DASH from Bitmap Mode into ANTIC4 5colours.

And also a DLI to get Top Status Area as different colors.

Sorry, but Boulder Dash *does* use Antic4 and five colors for the playfield, and it does use a DLI between the top status line in antic 6(IIRC) and the game area below.

And because no need for any PMs.for the Playing Area, could be used 4Players in Multicolour for our Rockford guy.

This is just a suggestion...

You could use PM-graphics for the player, indeed. But that's a rather small improvement.

Greetings,

Thomas

Sorry, but Boulder Dash *does* use Antic4 and five colors for the playfield, and it does use a DLI between the top status line in antic 6(IIRC) and the game area below.

If it does where is the 5th PF3 colour?

I always see in all versions just 4colours in the Playing Area...(Just run Monitor and indeed there's PF3 using... in this 25th Aniversary PF3 it's the Pink colour and PF2 it's Gray colour (0C)... and that's it, indeed PF3 is used but there's no using of PF2.

ANTIC4 in use but no PF2 on screen...

About the Top Status Area it may have a DLI, but why there's not different 'Number' colours in C64 like in C64 version.

For a GR.1 Mode with redefined characters you'll have 4+Black colours available and four different colours on 'Numbers/Diamond'...

Greets.

José Pereira.

P.s.- Thanks Tezz and Heaven I also miss (not totally!...) this one...

Indeed I read the Topic here, but if you download File there's the same Playing Area and Rockford.

I didn't give it much attention because there's only the two presentation screens adding.

Hi Jose,

It's just simply the case that the author chose the option of using the straight four colours and not get involved with the issues of pf2/pf3 in the scroling map. Similarly with the status line, he's just chosen to keep it simple. The only other cosmetic change aside from the title animation I was intending was to have Rockford in PMG'S to retain fixed colours on all the levels which I still intend to get around to doing at some point.

Hi Jose,

It's just simply the case that the author chose the option of using the straight four colours and not get involved with the issues of pf2/pf3 in the scroling map. Similarly with the status line, he's just chosen to keep it simple. The only other cosmetic change aside from the title animation I was intending was to have Rockford in PMG'S to retain fixed colours on all the levels which I still intend to get around to doing at some point.

Yeah...

I tried Atari800WinPlus at 10% speed to see when the Rocks/Diamonds fall if they move at Char boundaries or not...

And maybe it's my Eyes and I can't figure...

But a thing for sure: if you enable PF2 on the Ground and have PF3 for the Rocks/Diamonds there will not be any clash.

Anyone interested in run a Monitor and just add PF2 to the Ground Gfx. to see?

It's soo simple and just that 5th colour, same as a C64 ColourMap alike would make a big diference...

And we'll wait for Tezz PMGs. Rockford stuff... not need to be now... someday it will come!...

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Here's a save state José for Win+ with the 5th colour added to one of the diamonds in the map so you can see it.

PF2 is the white colour. To make better use of the 5th colour it'd be beneficial to swap the colours around and redfine the chars accordingly.

post-4724-0-77510600-1300976437_thumb.png

bd-example.zip

Edited by Tezz

Hi, just a last question:

"Diamonds and Rocks falling are done pixel by pixel? Or just quickly placed on the next 2x2Chars empty place?

(If it's pixel by pixel movement then Diamonds and Rocks cannot have one PF2 and the other PF3 as there will a clash between them...

But between Rock/Diamonds-PF2 and Ground-PF3 never will be any clash assuming that it is Fine Hardware Scrolling)"

José Pereira.

Hi, just a last question:

"Diamonds and Rocks falling are done pixel by pixel? Or just quickly placed on the next 2x2Chars empty place?

(If it's pixel by pixel movement then Diamonds and Rocks cannot have one PF2 and the other PF3 as there will a clash between them...

But between Rock/Diamonds-PF2 and Ground-PF3 never will be any clash assuming that it is Fine Hardware Scrolling)"

José Pereira.

Hi José, everything in the game is char movement only like Karolj mentioned.

The 5th colour is used on the status panel and for the amoeba. It's a shame to miss the 5th colour for the majority of the levels so I'll rearrange the colours to make use of it on the diamonds and/or enemies for all the levels as well as making Rockford PMG's.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the discussion from Jose regarding Boulder Dash II, I thought I'd throw an example together today to illustrate those planned ingame cosmetic changes I was mentioning.

In the attached executable, you can see the recoloured Rockford now using multicoloured players, the status line also has a DLI now to retain fixed colours throughout the levels. The 5th colour is used on the enemies rather than just the amoeba and if I rearrange the palette's order, it could be used on the diamonds to make them stand out. You can press fire to cycle through the 20 palettes that the game uses, I've used the diamond count to display the palette number.

BoulderDash2_example1.zip

• Like 3

Interesting discussion about Boulder Dash.

Well, if someone asks me about the best game on the A8, my 1st thoughts will ever be "Boulder Dash".

It never made me think about - something is missing - ... it was a full "rounded" game to me.

And, if it can be done better.... why not :)

BD mods and extra levels have been done to death.

Even on C64 and other platforms.

For me, BD 2 was enough... OK, maybe the construction kit rounded it all off, but anything else is just flogging a dead horse.

Patching all these games for me is about fixing up the back catalogue to how the games should have been done, not to create a new mod. As we've all discussed here, too many games didn't make full or proper use of the A8 and it's always left a "why didn't they just" every time I see them so I want to go back and set the record straight.
  • Like 3

Following on from the discussion from Jose regarding Boulder Dash II, I thought I'd throw an example together today to illustrate those planned ingame cosmetic changes I was mentioning.

In the attached executable, you can see the recoloured Rockford now using multicoloured players, the status line also has a DLI now to retain fixed colours throughout the levels. The 5th colour is used on the enemies rather than just the amoeba and if I rearrange the palette's order, it could be used on the diamonds to make them stand out. You can press fire to cycle through the 20 palettes that the game uses, I've used the diamond count to display the palette number.

Looks nice Tezz. Can't wait to see the finished version. I love Boulder Dash and played it to death when I was a kid.