IGNORED

Wizardry on the PS3

cimerians

I guess I'm the only one who still cares about this game.

I've completed the game with two characters. My characters ranged from level 33 to level 40. The last two levels of the Shiin dungeon are extremely nasty. The final boss is an ass kicker, but it's tame compared to many of the random encounters which spawn on levels 9 and 10. If it weren't for constant saving and resetting, I wouldn't have made it.

I bought levels 6 thru 10 of Dungeon of Trials, but it's not really a good diversion. I found a pissed off gold dragon on level 9, but that's the only thing I've found interesting. It looks like Trials is all about random item drop quests, which are boring and frustrating.

I'm still interested in some more DLC. I was hoping there would be some today, but no such luck.

Anyway, the game was exactly what I wanted it to be, and I had a lot of fun with it. I guess I might get back to Dragon Warrior II now.

I guess I'm the only one who still cares about this game.

I've completed the game with two characters. My characters ranged from level 33 to level 40. The last two levels of the Shiin dungeon are extremely nasty. The final boss is an ass kicker, but it's tame compared to many of the random encounters which spawn on levels 9 and 10. If it weren't for constant saving and resetting, I wouldn't have made it.

I bought levels 6 thru 10 of Dungeon of Trials, but it's not really a good diversion. I found a pissed off gold dragon on level 9, but that's the only thing I've found interesting. It looks like Trials is all about random item drop quests, which are boring and frustrating.

I'm still interested in some more DLC. I was hoping there would be some today, but no such luck.

Anyway, the game was exactly what I wanted it to be, and I had a lot of fun with it. I guess I might get back to Dragon Warrior II now.

No I still care, I'm stuck on Borderlands right now and a game called Outland and haven't the time to get back to Wizardry. As soon as I finish ONE of those then I'll get back to Wizardry for sure. So what character classes were the best for you in Levels 9/10 and the final boss?

So what character classes were the best for you in Levels 9/10 and the final boss?

My team stayed consistent. I didn't change many classes or rotate any new characters after a point. For most of the game I used:

Dwarf Paladin (had previously been a Fighter)

Human Samurai

Elf Priest

Dwarf Ninja

Elf Bishop

Gnome Bishop

Gear was extremely important. Until you get some good drops on level 4 or 5, then you're pretty much screwed. The Bishops spent most of their time using their Magic Wall skill after they got it. After level 20 something, I took all the equipment off the Dwarf Ninja and relied on her instant kill abilities.

I think that no matter what you're going to want 2 Bishops, a Priest (the undead are some extremely nasty bastards), and a Lord. There's also an extremely nasty weapon for the Samurai, but I haven't seen it drop yet. That leaves most of the good melee weapons being equippable by the Lord only.

If you have the gear, then you can dispense with a Ninja in the party. Mine's instant kill hardly ever went off against the real nasties. Another Lord would possibly be a good choice. I considered several times making that change.

Save after every fight you get through in good shape. Even if a character dies, make sure to identify any drops first, because it may be worth it to take a level drain or VIT penalty to get some good gear.

I'm playing the heck out of this. It's a fantastic port. Party so far:

2x samurai

1x ninja

1x lord

2x bishop

Makes me remember how much I used to love RPGs. Games like this are so much better than those boring, scripted, japanese style games with the emo kids.

Back in MY day, we'd head off into the dungeon with a party of guys, and some of us died, and we LIKED it.

Now git off my porch! :lol:

• Like 1

I'm playing the heck out of this. It's a fantastic port. Party so far:

2x samurai

1x ninja

1x lord

2x bishop

How are you doing down on the lower levels without Priest Exorcism to counter the massive amounts of instydeath undead? Do your samurai just have awesome enough gear to offset it?

Is there some ninja equipment worth equipping, or is the nekkid ninja the only way to go?

I've played a LOT of RPG's in the past but this is my first encounter with anything Wizardry. I downloaded the demo and after about 2hrs, I'm enjoying the game, but man..... the lack of instructions is really baffling me on some things. It's almost like the developers made the game for Wizardry veterans as very little is explained within the game except for a control layout. I even looked at GameFAQ's for some help but there was nothing there except a list of Trophy's.

I have a couple questions for those of you deep into the game:

1) What exactly is the PIE attribute?

2) How do you make specific classes? Example: can you actually roll up a Ninja (I haven't been able to so far) or is this a Class Change character only? And if its Class Change, how do you know what you need to effect the change? Are some classes restricted to a particular race?

3) Do races improve classes, i.e. do Elves make better mages or Dwarves better fighters, etc? In a lot of RPG's this is the case, but I'm not sure if it applies to Wizardry.

I've got all my characters up to Lvl 4 but still haven't gotten the 3rd Kobold weapon I need to complete the initial quest to drop...sigh..... I thought I was thru with camping/farming when I quit Everquest!

As I said, I'm enjoying the game and am on the verge of purchasing the full game.... maybe when I make Lvl 5.

Mendon

1) What exactly is the PIE attribute?

2) How do you make specific classes? Example: can you actually roll up a Ninja (I haven't been able to so far) or is this a Class Change character only? And if its Class Change, how do you know what you need to effect the change? Are some classes restricted to a particular race?

3) Do races improve classes, i.e. do Elves make better mages or Dwarves better fighters, etc? In a lot of RPG's this is the case, but I'm not sure if it applies to Wizardry.

1) It's how much pie you can carry.

Sorry. :P

It's Piety. In short, your standing with the gods. Priests and other clerical spellcasters need high piety.

2) Yes. You can roll up a Ninja. You have to roll at least a 40 for bonus points, but it's possible to roll up a ninja as a starting character. My ninja is a main character dwarf which I rolled 47 (the max) bonus points for. Ninjas also have to be evil.

Each character has specific requirements. Fighters just need a Strenth of 12 or so. Mages just need an Int of 12. Thieves have to be of a non-good alignment. Priests must be good or evil, never neutral.

Bishops are the easiest "elite" class to qualify for. They need a 13 Int and Pie as well as a non-neutral alignment.

Lords have to be good. Make a good character and then boost most of their stats to 15 and you should meet the requirements for a Lord.

Ninjas have to be evil. All their stats need to be 15 or higher.

Changing into an elite class later is usually better. You keep half of your HPs, and half of your spellcasting slots when changing classes.

3) Different races have different strenths. For instance, a character can only have a maximum attribute of 10 higher than his racial base. There are also hidden benefits too. For example, dwarves get bonus Hit Points while Gnomes get an extra penalty to the same. Porklu (halflings) are the luckiest bastards in the universe.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, Gabriel !!!! Very much appreciated!!!

Out of curiosity, did you learn all the info you shared from just playing this game or is all this pretty consistent throughout the Wizardry series?

I'll probably get back to the game today and see if I can get all my current characters to Lvl 5 (the limit of the demo). Then if I buy the full game, I'll probably restart over and roll up new characters based on the info you gave.

Again, Thanks Much!!

Mendon

2x samurai

1x ninja

1x lord

2x bishop

Ok it's been a loooong time since I played Wizardry, but how do you have a Lord and a Ninja in the same party? I thought Good and Evil characters couldn't be in the same party or have they done away with that restriction?

Tempest

Out of curiosity, did you learn all the info you shared from just playing this game or is all this pretty consistent throughout the Wizardry series?

The info is a mix of things. Some of it is from scouring the Wizardry message board on Gamefaqs. Some of it is from simply looking at the manuals to the old Wizardry games (not much has changed). Some is experimentation. Some is hypothetical observation and hearsay, but which seems to be true.

2x samurai

1x ninja

1x lord

2x bishop

Ok it's been a loooong time since I played Wizardry, but how do you have a Lord and a Ninja in the same party? I thought Good and Evil characters couldn't be in the same party or have they done away with that restriction?

Tempest

There are multiple ways to do this.

One is to make up a character, go into the dungeon, and then leave him there.

Then go in with the party you want to play. Go to the location where you left your other guys and pull up the search menu (Look for other members or something). This will let you swap out party members, and it allegedly ignores alignment restrictions.

I haven't tried the above method, so I don't know if it works, but everyone says it does.

The second method is to make up an evil party, and then go down to level 5 (or is it 4?) of Shiin. You'll meet lots of Crusaders. Crusaders never want to fight, so just leave peacefully. Eventually everyone will shift to neutral and then to good.

You can also do it in reverse. Make a good party, always fight Crusaders, and your alignments will fall towards evil. Thus a ninja can become good or a lord can become evil and hang out in the same party.

• Like 1

2x samurai

1x ninja

1x lord

2x bishop

Tempest

There are multiple ways to do this.

One is to make up a character, go into the dungeon, and then leave him there.

Then go in with the party you want to play. Go to the location where you left your other guys and pull up the search menu (Look for other members or something). This will let you swap out party members, and it allegedly ignores alignment restrictions.

I haven't tried the above method, so I don't know if it works, but everyone says it does.

The second method is to make up an evil party, and then go down to level 5 (or is it 4?) of Shiin. You'll meet lots of Crusaders. Crusaders never want to fight, so just leave peacefully. Eventually everyone will shift to neutral and then to good.

You can also do it in reverse. Make a good party, always fight Crusaders, and your alignments will fall towards evil. Thus a ninja can become good or a lord can become evil and hang out in the same party.

Neat! But can you still ID object #9 ;)

Tempest

I started playing this weekend and have gotten my guys to level 4. Thanks for the info Gabriel! I did not know the tricks into getting certain characters in the party at the same time. Also thanks for the requirements for rolling new characters. I had no idea how to get a ninja other than converting later on. It helps a whole lot if you played this series before but there certain things I wasnt sure of of either!

The comments in http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/03/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls-now-live-on-psn/

basically have an instruction manual for this game.

Thanks for posting that link; good info contained within and just plain fun reading.

I laughed but uttered an obscenity at the same time when I read Xseed's commend that "Wizardry is too hardcore to have a manual"... :lol:

Mendon

I bought the full game and made a new party of adventurers and am having a TOTAL BLAST with the game. I was playing earlier today when I looked up at the clock and couldn't believe that 4 hours had just passed by!

I must have spent 25 or 30 minutes just rolling, rolling, and re-rolling trying to get high bonus to use on characters. Best I could get in all that time was a couple of 27's and that amount wouldn't let me create a Ninja so I just went with a Sam, a Fighter, a Bishop, a Thief, a Mage, and a Priest. Maybe not the best party but right now I'm still fooling around with the game and learning all the in's and out's.

A couple things I noticed right away was that a Bishop saves you $$$$$ as he can appraise anything you find. And my Thief has saved me from a ton of hurt by disarming traps (one trap killed my entire party the first time I was playing).

And not sure why but I'm finding MUCH better items in the full game than I did in the demo.... I'm now getting armor, swords, a katana, and more at Lvl 5 in the full game, when all I found in the demo version was shoes, hats, tonic's, etc.

My new group is all Lvl 5 and I went into a room in Dungeon of Trials that said "Some doors are best left unopened". Without giving away everything, lets just say I got my butt handed to me. I just shook my head and said "Ahh'll be baack".

Anyway, I'm totally addicted to Wizardry right now and can't wait to get back to playing.

Mendon

I bought the full game and made a new party of adventurers and am having a TOTAL BLAST with the game. I was playing earlier today when I looked up at the clock and couldn't believe that 4 hours had just passed by!

I must have spent 25 or 30 minutes just rolling, rolling, and re-rolling trying to get high bonus to use on characters. Best I could get in all that time was a couple of 27's and that amount wouldn't let me create a Ninja so I just went with a Sam, a Fighter, a Bishop, a Thief, a Mage, and a Priest. Maybe not the best party but right now I'm still fooling around with the game and learning all the in's and out's.

A couple things I noticed right away was that a Bishop saves you $$$$$ as he can appraise anything you find. And my Thief has saved me from a ton of hurt by disarming traps (one trap killed my entire party the first time I was playing).

And not sure why but I'm finding MUCH better items in the full game than I did in the demo.... I'm now getting armor, swords, a katana, and more at Lvl 5 in the full game, when all I found in the demo version was shoes, hats, tonic's, etc.

My new group is all Lvl 5 and I went into a room in Dungeon of Trials that said "Some doors are best left unopened". Without giving away everything, lets just say I got my butt handed to me. I just shook my head and said "Ahh'll be baack".

Anyway, I'm totally addicted to Wizardry right now and can't wait to get back to playing.

Mendon

Haha your hooked. I had my nephew over this weekend (he's 24) and remembers old Genesis 1st person dungeon crawls and I left him in the room to play Wizardry as I told him its very old school kind of like back in 1981 before he played games. I came back in the room about 20 minutes later after I heard him yell..."George, this game sucks!"

When I entered the room he looked at me and said, "I'm going to buy it."

BTW: LOL...I used to spend at least 30 minutes or more re-rolling to get my stats on games like Wizardry. The goldbox games come to mind and the Bard's Tale.

Edited by cimerians

Neat! But can you still ID object #9 ;)

Sorry, just got the reference. I never knew about that before.

I hadn't heard of anything like that in this version of Wizardry. Although money comes so easily later on that it's not too out of the question to accumulate 4 million gold, change class, then tithe at the temple and go from level 1 to level 50 instantly.

• 3 weeks later...

The DLC for the "additional quest" in the even lower levels of the Shiin dungeon is up. I'm not sure what I think about the $8 asking price.

Part of me wants to buy the DLC and support more Wizardry. Another part of me has had my fill for the moment for dungeon crawlers and wants to just zone out to some EDF or DW: Gundam, not grind in Wizardry.

Regardless, if anyone gets the DLC, post some thoughts about it.

• 2 months later...