IGNORED

Posible standard kernel enhancement

grafixbmp

Hello everyone, I've been playing a bit with bB and had an interesting idea. I've sent batari a question about it, but I wondered what other thought about this kind of kernal option if posible. Howabout the ability to verticaly refect your playfield from the standard kernel? It could draw all 11 rows half way down the screen then draw the data in reverse to make a mirrored image. This actualy appears to double the vertical resolution by reading from the same RAM. It could even have the option to do it without mirroring. This could be great for starfields, 3d corridors, and even moving cloud cover for flight simulators. Nonmirrored could be used for more detailed platformers having the top and bottom sections the same. This might work well since it reads from the same data without much if any overhead in RAM. Any thoughts?

The screen is mirrored in the multisprite kernel though.

Yes. It is because it is done in the TIA hardware. I mean a vertical mirror not a horizontal one.

Where you would have:

PF pixel data:

line 0

line 1

line 2

line 3

~

line 10

line 11

line 11

line 10

line 9

line 8

~

line 1

line 0

or they could just do 0 through 11 twice.

This way

! A

V !

A !

! V

not this way

-><- <-->

Even spit screen gameplay could be possible this way if var 44 through 47 were used for extra ploted sprites.

If horizontal scrolling is still possible, howabout a simple horizontal rail shooter similar to vanguard or R Type?

Edited by grafixbmp

:dunce: Well, don't I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, I don't know if much work will be done on the standard kernel or if everybody who helps work on kernels will be focusing their effort on the bB 1.1 kernel.

I guess you mean the focus is on DPC+ kernel now.

Here are a few simple examples of a 3d corridor, a cloud scape for a flight game and a star scape for some blocky outer space battles. There are many others examples especially those that aren't mirrored vertically. The beauty in it is the ability to scroll and draw consecutive animated playfields.

post-10601-0-77233700-1301196197_thumb.png

As far as the cloud cover one, it kinda makes me think of a possible afterburner clone sans the tilting.

Edited by grafixbmp
  • Like 1