IGNORED

Picture Label Miniature Golf? (He, He) ;)

PacManPlus

Well, me being the OCD sufferer that I am, wanted to make all of my Atari Carts look the same (Picture Label). I noticed that Miniature Golf was never released as a Picture Label (at least I haven't seen it) - so I decided to make my own:

I think I may make the rest of my text label carts into Picture Labels, so they all match! :P

(The only problem is, the little time that I have, I can only do one a week.)

These two were originally text labels - what do you think (sorry about the blurry pic...)

post-1787-1040267267_thumb.jpg

I noticed that Miniature Golf was never released as a Picture Label (at least I haven't seen it)

Minature Golf WAS actually released with a picture label, but only overseas. I have a scan of it somewhere which I will have to post (although I'm sure I sent it to Al). It looks exactly like the mock up you made.

Tempest

I'm telling you man... that Miniature golf one is right on the money... If Atari had made a picture label for that game, that would have been it!

Genius work :-)

Uh, probably ... :ponder:

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?Soft...05&BoxStyleID=2

That explains it :-) ha ha ha ha :-)

I thought he drew it... oh well... still cool though.

We've all since realized that the technical limitations of the 2600 can be pushed a lot farther nowadays, and I always found the gameplay of Miniature Golf (as a big fan of the game in person OR electronically) to be somewhat dissapointing. In the spirit of "A Much Better Pac-Man" couldn't somebody here hack up a 2600 game and turn it into "A Much Better Miniature Golf" with that label on it and sell it through the AA store? :D

Hello All:

Thanks for the compliments :)

Cupcakus / CPUWIZ: No, I could never draw that well - yes, I just took the image from the box art (isn't that what Atari did?) ;)

Tempest / Happy_Dude: There is no scan of the Mini-Golf Picture label here, and I had never seen one in the wild (in my searches through e-bay) - it's too bad someone with an actual picture label can't add it to the collection here... :( Thanks for the correction...

Moycon: It took me a long time to find full sheet glossy labels, but I finally found them! :D www.onlinelabels.com type OL175WG

Happy_Dude: All of the text label carts I have are commons - in fact I believe the least common of the carts I have are the two in the picture. I wouldn't touch a '5' or above... I know better than that :)

I thought I read somewhere that Miniature Golf was only released for a short period of time (something like a year or two), because it did so poorly... Am I correct on this?

thanks again

I think I'm one of the few people that loves Mini Golf. Its in my top ten list actually. But I do like the idea of a new version or a hacked version.

Nice labels BTW, very professional. You know, I bet you could make a little money on this. Take orders printing labels. This would be great to replace bad labels and make those antiplague Activision labels a thing of the past.

For what it's worth, you don't need glossy full-sheet labels to do Atari cartridge labels. I posted the procedure I used on http://www.kudla.org/raindog/pac26.html - briefly, I printed on a full sheet label, laminated it, and then cut to size. The result looks very professional and glossy and I don't have to worry about spills (the bane of inkjet labels.)

Or you could invest in a color laser which is what I assume AtariAge did, since their stuff looks pretty pro too ;)

Rob

I think I'm one of the few people that loves Mini Golf. Its in my top ten list actually.

I certainly wouldn't put it in my top 10... but it does have a certain charm. I think it needs to be viewed in the context of home Pong games and the old Atari video pinball units that predated the 2600, rather than even in the context of the early 2600 games.

Clearly it bears only the most abstract resemblance to real miniature golf. But it has some unique characteristics that make it a great game to play with a friend. Unfortunately, my copy seems to have a defective PCB, so by the time you get to around the 7th hole, the picture gets all glitchy and it becomes very hard to play. That's always a good time to take it out and play Slot Racers instead!

Thanks for the tip Raindog -

Ahhhh - but you cannot use the 2880dpi capability of the printer if you do not use glossy paper to begin with... :( There lies the problem...

BTW - excellent hack! - someday I'll try to hack Jr. Pac-Man into 'Hangly Man' or Ms. PacMan, so the monsters' eyes follow the direction of movement... :roll: unless you want to give it a try (hint, hint) ;)

I thought about trying to hack Jr. Pac Man originally to make a Gameboy Color style Pac-Man (vertically scrolling so you could have the proper layout) but someone convinced me mimicking the 5200/Coleco/400/800/C64 look was the way to go so I ended up using Ms. Pac-Man.

I recently got inspired to try something even more insane but still Pac-Man related so we'll see what happens ;)

Rob