IGNORED

Karateka

SixxxBit

60 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Karateka?

• I loved this game when I was a kid!
    • I liked this game a little bit.
    • I had it, and really never played it.
    • I didn't really like this game at all.
    • I hated this game so much!
    • I never played this game.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Does anybody remember this game: Karateka??? If i recall it was on the 7800 ,some old atari computers, the apple II, and the c64! Believe it or not: i have not played ANY from these consoles (maybe c64, but probably not). yet, strange enough i have found an illegally imported NES cart from japan which has 115 games stored on it! these games include: the original dig dug, galaxian, mappy, and lots of other NES games that were not released in europe, or north america! Well, this cart has Karateka on it! Believe it or not: i like it :)! I have seen many reviewing this game for the 7800, c64, apple II, etc. ect. and they claim the controls sloppy and unfair! but for NES, it's quite a good port! Has anyone played this game? maybe atleast on ANY console at all?

I didn't think much of it, only played it for a time because it was the only fighting game of it's type until the likes of IK and Ninja came along.

Too slow, too hard, and the control system wasn't so great compared to the likes of IK and Fist.

Sure, Mechner did some great things in his time, but I wouldn't put this one down as one of them.

I didn't think much of it, only played it for a time because it was the only fighting game of it's type until the likes of IK and Ninja came along.

Too slow, too hard, and the control system wasn't so great compared to the likes of IK and Fist.

Sure, Mechner did some great things in his time, but I wouldn't put this one down as one of them.

Maybe you had to see it on the Apple first. I remember being blown away by it the first time I saw it on my neighbors IIe. I didn't think it was too difficult, it just took some strategy. I beat it easily after a few tries and kept coming back anyway.

Tempest

Does anybody remember this game: Karateka??? If i recall it was on the 7800 ,some old atari computers, the apple II, and the c64! Believe it or not: i have not played ANY from these consoles (maybe c64, but probably not). yet, strange enough i have found an illegally imported NES cart from japan which has 115 games stored on it! these games include: the original dig dug, galaxian, mappy, and lots of other NES games that were not released in europe, or north america! Well, this cart has Karateka on it! Believe it or not: i like it :)! I have seen many reviewing this game for the 7800, c64, apple II, etc. ect. and they claim the controls sloppy and unfair! but for NES, it's quite a good port! Has anyone played this game? maybe atleast on ANY console at all?

One of the few games I bought and completed. Use the keyboard, not joystick. I got all the way to the princess a few times, once I tried to kick the princess and she decked me. It is about the only hand-eye game I played, well there is pacman and kid grid.

I couldn't play bruce lee very successfully, my son got to the end boss. I like it better than loderunner. I think the poll is a little wrong. I'd give it a top score, but I wasn't a kid when I played it, so I had to say I liked it a little. I couldn't get thru the first day in Alternate Reality, the city.

Edited by russg

Maybe you had to see it on the Apple first. I remember being blown away by it the first time I saw it on my neighbors IIe. I didn't think it was too difficult, it just took some strategy. I beat it easily after a few tries and kept coming back anyway.

Tempest

I had it on my IIe and also don't remember it being to hard to beat. The controls were fine. I have it for my 7800 but havn't even plugged it in yet. I guess I'll have to try it out to see how it compares.

Does anybody remember this game: Karateka??? If i recall it was on the 7800 ,some old atari computers, the apple II, and the c64! Believe it or not: i have not played ANY from these consoles (maybe c64, but probably not). yet, strange enough i have found an illegally imported NES cart from japan which has 115 games stored on it! these games include: the original dig dug, galaxian, mappy, and lots of other NES games that were not released in europe, or north america! Well, this cart has Karateka on it! Believe it or not: i like it :)!

Many of those multicarts are from China, not Japan. They are illegal copies, not the originals. While video game companies don't like it, it's not illegal to import ligitimate games.

I have seen many reviewing this game for the 7800, c64, apple II, etc. ect. and they claim the controls sloppy and unfair! but for NES, it's quite a good port! Has anyone played this game? maybe atleast on ANY console at all?

Most of the reviews I have seen complaining about the controls are for the 7800, which is a butchered port. The Apple II and Atari 8 bit computer (the two I have played) versions have much better controls. I like what I played of the A800 disk Karateka, though I only played a bit of it.

Edited by BrianC

Impressive game in its time. I never feel good with the joy control in this game, instead the keyboard control are very good. The sound effects, music, graphics, scenes, fonts and the slow animation gives a great sensation of playing a movie. For sure, Jordan Mechner did a great fine job here. In retrospective it can look so simple, but it's a wonderful 8bit game.

It's not a coincidence his next game, Price of Persia, reach great popularity and recognition.

Great looking game in the day but perhaps one of the most frustrating games as well, the number of times I over ran and got killed or accidentally started to run instead of kick or punch. I watched a long play to see the end, far too much hassle otherwise.

Brice Lee on the other hand, lovely :)

I didn't think much of it, only played it for a time because it was the only fighting game of it's type until the likes of IK

What is "IK"?

I have it for my 7800 but havn't even plugged it in yet. I guess I'll have to try it out to see how it compares.

Karateka for 7800 is my greatest video game disappointment. I think the controls are awful (tap, wait a second, he punches), the graphics are paired down needlessly (the hawk looks like a drunken duck) and key elements of the game are missing.

Love it on the XEGS though. That's a cart version of the original Broderbund disks.

I bought the original A2 version brand new back in the day. It was and still is a fantastic game. I dare say even revolutionary. I never had any problems with the controls. Quite the opposite in fact. Back then the keyboard control in that game was considered advanced. Three punches, three kicks. Hmm... where have I seen that before?

Always loved it. Played it a lot as a kid. I preferred the keyboard (as others did). There can be some little delays, but you get used to them quickly. I still like to play this one through from time to time. I have not mastered the technique for getting through the gate, but I've done it a few times. Some of the opponents require some significant patience.