IGNORED

What's wrong with my Coleco?

Tupin

My Coleco is acting very weird when it comes to moving up. In some games like Donkey Kong or Centipede, you can go up, but it will immediately force you down unless you move left or right. In Defender and Super Cobra up doesn't work at all. None of this has to do with the controllers, I think. I've used several, and they all have the same problem.

If you are sure that all your controllers are good and you have tested them in both Joystick Ports, then the problem more than likely is the dreaded Controller Chips located at U18 and U19 on the motherboard (right by the joystick ports). These chips (TI SN74LS541N) are soldered onto the motherboard and would need to be desoldered and replaced.

If you are not up to the task, send the resident hardware guru here a PM... his name is Yurkie.

Just another thing to add to my list of stuff I need to desolder/solder, I guess. I do soldering quite often. Only thing I'm questioning is taking apart the Coleco. I have to take off the front sticker? Will it easily stick back on?

I just searched it, and found Yurkie's thread on it. Great info, got links to places where I can get replacement chips. :cool:

Edited by Tupin