IGNORED

Kaboom 7800 Version?

Kaboom69

I haven't paid a lot of attention recently, but I haven't heard of anybody working on Kaboom for the 7800.

Convert isn't really the best word for it, as the game would really need to be written from scratch. It's doable, but somebody would have to be interested enough to put a lot of time into it.

My 2600 version has bad colors as it is uneven. Are there any out there?

Not sure what this means... do you mean you have a faulty cart? If so, Kaboom carts aren't hard to find, just get a new one. If you mean that you just don't like the colors Activision chose for 2600 Kaboom for some reason, it would be far easier to do a color hack than to re-program it for the 7800. I guess I'm not seeing where the 7800 really comes into play here.

Not sure what this means... do you mean you have a faulty cart? If so, Kaboom carts aren't hard to find, just get a new one. If you mean that you just don't like the colors Activision chose for 2600 Kaboom for some reason, it would be far easier to do a color hack than to re-program it for the 7800. I guess I'm not seeing where the 7800 really comes into play here.

Thanks for the replies, how would I do a color hack?

When playing my Kaboom, the colors are uneven particularly the green background. Is this my cartridge or just the game?

When playing my Kaboom, the colors are uneven particularly the green background. Is this my cartridge or just the game?

Here is a hack. This page shows screen shots of both the hack and original:

BK Kaboom!

More Kaboom hacks can be found in the zip file found in this thread:

Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2

I'm not sure, but I don't think any of these are just color hacks though.

Must be the cart, your system, or the TV/monitor you're using, but the game isn't supposed to be like that. Look at screen captures (on this site) or in an emulator on your computer to see what it's supposed to look like (not that an emulator is always 100% exact), but at least then you'd have an idea as one step of troubleshooting.

Do you see similar problems with other 2600 games? The 7800 uses some external circuits to combine the TIA and MARIA video outputs. Maybe you have a bad component or connection somewhere.

There is slightly, but not nearly as bad, how would I check that?

Do you have the tools and ability to make the repairs? (i.e. how are you with a soldering iron and circuit schematics?) If you don't (or don't know someone who does) then your options may be to either live with the problem or buy a replacement. If you are interested in making the repairs, the schematics for the 7800 are in the Atari 7800 Archives.

Do you see similar problems with other 2600 games? The 7800 uses some external circuits to combine the TIA and MARIA video outputs. Maybe you have a bad component or connection somewhere.

There is slightly, but not nearly as bad, how would I check that?

Do you have the tools and ability to make the repairs? (i.e. how are you with a soldering iron and circuit schematics?) If you don't (or don't know someone who does) then your options may be to either live with the problem or buy a replacement. If you are interested in making the repairs, the schematics for the 7800 are in the Atari 7800 Archives.

I do know how to solder, are there any guides to specifically check for these?

I do know how to solder, are there any guides to specifically check for these?

Using the circuit diagrams as a guide, follow the traces from TIA pins 2,5,7,8 and 9 (TSYNC, TLUM1, TLUM2, TLUM0 and TCOL respectively, see the far right side of the middle of the diagram) and check each component along the way for bad solder joints or other evidence of faults.