IGNORED

Question about Ballblazer?

I have a friend who has an original Atari 800 that back in the day he had expanded to 64k ram. Ballblazer, one of the best Atari 8-bit games was released labeled as an XE title that was also compatible with the 800xl. I head from a guy that Ballblazer required 64k of ram to run and that's why it was incompatible with the original 400/800, but since this particular 800 has 64k is it possible to get Ballblazer running on this machine? Is there something else that would prevent it from running besides ram? Has anyone played Ballblazer on the original 800?

The original disk version works fine in 48K.

I suspect the cartridge version might too. It's one of those later games on a large capacity cartridge, but the program is copied into RAM.

Best way to find out is to use emulation and set the machine/RAM size to 48K then try the ROM image.

re an 800 with 64K - that won't really help, the 64K scheme used on traditional 800 upgrades is totally different to that on the 800XL.

Edited by Rybags

the games were released 1984 or developed... I doubt that they were XL models only... even Koronis Rift runs in 48k?

I must admit I always thought the "Blue Box" cart release of RoF needed a 64Kb machine. Not sure where I got the idea from.

Hey thanks. I guess the person I talked to thought as I did that since the cartridge was labeled only with XE and XL that it required 64k. Is there a list of programs on here somewhere that are xl xe only and perhaps workarounds to get some of them to work?

And what would you do with such a list? ;)

Anyway...titles would be few and far between for games. This might be a starting place. Dunno how accurate it is.

It's accurate in some areas, but innaccurate in others and definitely outdated. It also lists the multiple cart versions of Dig Dug as a rumor (and both versions are common).