IGNORED

Thoughts on the 2003 year of gaming?

JagMX

pc: absolutly nothing will happen to the pc market  :yawn:  

How about Doom 3, Unreal 2, Dues Ex 2 etc? They might even get round to releasing the new Duke Nukem.

There better be something happening in the PC market! I am getting a $300 Geforce 4 video card for Christmas, my computer is my most advanced gaming machine. If nothing happens in the PC market, then that will be a waste of $300! My newest game console is an n64, so I rely on my computer to play the newer games.

I have trouble believing there won't be anything new for pc's though, as Pie pointed out, there is Doom 3, and some other great games coming out.

Just thinking of computer games is making me want to open that video card right now !!! :D

My predictions:

The PS2 will remain as the #1 console...and lose money.

The XBOX will remain as the #2 console...and lose money.

The GameCube will remain as the #3 console...and make money.

All three will see marked increases in overall annual sales, but they will be below expectations.

Both MS & Sony online plans will prove to be financial losers.

Either MS or Sony (or both) will decide against plans to market another machine that is primarily a video game console (edge to Sony).

GBA sales will surpass PS2 sales for the year.

Nintendo will remain the #1 video game company overall (combined hardware and software sales).

Oh, it's such a beautiful morning.

Oooo... the prediction game. It's always very interesting to see what others predictions are. I'm proud to say that I've been pretty right with my predictions in the past, lets see if I am again now...

-- Hardware Companies --

Disclaimer -- these opinions are from someone who owns none of the systems, and is not trying to be biased toward any one in particular :)

Nintendo - Nintendo right now is very confused about their identity, and I think that this coming year will see if they decide to continue to be a hardware and software company or just a software company. Slow sales will make the GameCube Nintendo's Dreamcast. I predict that sales this year will be strong with the release of a surprisingly good Zelda game, more Resident Evil games and a whole slew of titles that are more daring than titles released on the XBox or PS2. The GameCube will do better in Japan than stateside.

Xbox - Microsoft is poised right now to make a major splash in the US market. Microsoft has been a player long enough to learn what it takes to create a strong following -- games, not hardware will do that. Look for Microsoft to snap up more high profile developers like Rare this coming year. Unfortunately for Microsoft, this will do nothing to help sales in Japan. Microsoft's top brass will start questioning the purpose of the Xbox, and wheter it is known publicly or privately, Microsoft will start planning a completely different strategy for this time next year.

PS2 - Sony will continue to do very well, although as usual, most of their momentum will continue to be built on hype with very few exclusive titles that PS2 owners will really treasure. Rockstar will produce another GTA game by this time next year, and at least one other franchise will raise itself to this level of hype. Sony will lose a little bit of ground to the other two systems because Sony will continue to use the same strategy, while Microsoft and Nintendo will use the aforementioned strategies (exclusive and creative, respectively). Expect Sony to decide to adapt one of these strategies around this time next year, and Sony to have an extremely strong 2004.

-- Software Companies --

Sega - Sega will continue it's odd strategy of developing a little bit of everything for one system only for a few months. After a few months, they will be snapped up in an exclusive deal for most of their non-sports franchises. Expect Microsoft and them to get really buddy-buddy, but don't expect Nintendo to not make a strong bid for their services. Ultimately, I feel that Nintendo will get Sonic, everyone will get the sports games, and Microsoft will get everything else.

Infogrames - Expect Infogrames to take the Atari name to new and very strange places again this year, using it for every major release. Eventually, Infogrames will change their name to Atari, and then and only then will they consider doing classic remakes.

Midway - Midway's plan of dropping the arcade divisions will continue to hurt them, as they will not be able to test new ideas in an arcade environment anymore. Namco may publicly or privately make a bid for Midway West (AKA Atari Games) so that Namco can produce sequels to arcade smashes like Rush 2049 and the Gauntlet series.

-- Other Gaming Goodness --

Industry in general - The industry will be surprised to see that game sales for 2002 did not grow as much as they originally thought they would. CEO's will blame the economy and the lack of a new system for this 'trend,' while the real problem will be the lack of perceived quality in many games.

Expect, in some form, the 2D platformer to make a half-arsed return. Sales of this style of gaming will be better than expected, and 2D games will return with slightly more of a prescense than in years past.

2600 - 2600 Homebrew games will be released at a quicker and quicker pace, while newly found "lost" games will slow to a trickle and nearly disappear. Many of these new 2600 games will be extremely good, and feature graphics on par with the best Activision releases.

Jaguar - The Jaguar will get it's first post-mortem full homebrew release (Battlesphere and Protector were both started when the Jaguar viable... err, alive). While the game will not be overly impressive, it will sell well enough to warrant more Jaguar development. More unreleased games will also turn up in various forms. The new Catbox-like device will be released, and Battlesphere will get another run due to this device.

Gaming Events - At E3, all of the companies will let the games do most of the talking this year. No one will have any major hardware news. Smaller classic gaming events willl continue to show quite a bit of growth, to the point where there will be one to three new shows joining the ranks of CGE and PC by the summer of 2004.

Other - Game prices will fluctuate as usual. Jaguar CD's will continue to cost more and more and more. N64's will hit rock bottom, getting liquidated for around $10.00, before starting to climb. Eventually, N64's will cost $25.00, with the Analog controllers selling for the same price. Lots of consoles will gain in value, while the games do not or even lose. Expect 2600s, 7800s, Lynxes, Jaguars, Jaguar CDs, NESes, SNESes, Sega CDs, Saturns, Dreamcasts, Intellivisions and Colecovisions consoles to rise in price. Of those, only certain 2600, NES, and Dreamcast games will raise in price -- mostly more common games that are well loved like the Atari classics and the Mario series.

** WHEW! That was a huge post! Someone dig this out for me in a year and laugh at how wrong I am (and how long I took to type all of this!)

My predictions:

The PS2 will remain as the #1 console...and lose money.

But if Sony is making money on the games and accessories, they'll probably break even or come out ahead overall.

The XBOX will remain as the #2 console...and lose money.

It's #2 right now? I have a hard time swallowing that one.

The GameCube will remain as the #3 console...and make money.

GBA sales will surpass PS2 sales for the year.

Nintendo will remain the #1 video game company overall (combined hardware and software sales).

Maybe not #1 in total sales, but #1 in profitability. :D

maybe i should refraise: he has a crappy computer thus not playing any computer games that are even remotely recent. which in turn causes him to have no need to look at PC game reviews or upcoming releases, thus he rights them all off as "bad" cause he can't play them. there wasn't any name calling in that was there

maybe i should refraise: he has a crappy computer thus not playing any computer games that are even remotely recent. which in turn causes him to have no need to look at PC game reviews or upcoming releases, thus he rights them all off as "bad" cause he can't play them. there wasn't any name calling in that was there

Yea,my PC sucks so I don't care about the PC.But because of that I am not gonig to call of the PC games bad. :D :roll: :x

is there any special way to see that small writing??
As I was told by some other mamber here on AA, just cut and past it into the Address box of your browser 8)

Or just hit the quote button on their post...and then you can remove the [size=] tag if you want to blab whatever it is that was whispered. :D

Yea' date=' XB is right aroud 30% higher in sales right now than the GC. I think the figures are on gamerweb? but not sure where I read it. No suprprise though, XB Live boosted sales big time[/quote']

Actually not quite:

GC - 2.2 million

XBOX - 2.7 million

PS2 - 11.3 million

Actually not quite:

GC - 2.2 million

XBOX - 2.7 million

PS2 - 11.3 million

Heh, a half million units is not that bad at all. Expect GC to catch up more when Zelda is released and the GC/GBA adaptor hits the US market. XBox can ride the online hype all they want, but with or without it the graphics and gameplay on GC are just as good if not better.

Besides in my opinion, all the online gameplay on X-Box proves is that it's just a Microsoft PC in a smaller box and has been all along.

Yea' date=' XB is right aroud 30% higher in sales right now than the GC. I think the figures are on gamerweb? but not sure where I read it. No suprprise though, XB Live boosted sales big time[/quote']

Actually not quite:

GC - 2.2 million

XBOX - 2.7 million

PS2 - 11.3 million

Well, I stand corrected. But please, next you quote me, please correct my misspellings :D