IGNORED

auto fire

The problem is I like Qbert. But I'm a lefty. And my wico control joystick I got off ebay buttons are on left. So it is hard to press and move stick with right hand. If only they had an auto fire joystick. Button would stay pressed leaving both hands free for moving the stick. And also if they made wireless sticks without need for masterplay would be cool.

I'm a lefty as well...As a kid it always frustrated me that ALL joystick manufacturers assumed the entire world was right handed. Though about 70% ambidextrous I have this problem with weed whackers and all kinds of stuff still today clearly made to be used right handed.

I'd play games against my little brother and his fiends and it seemed I was always the one struggling to get comfortable playing, which often led to lower scores... my game suffered for quite a while until the universal sticks appeared.

CX-40? forget it....it's simply NOT human hand friendly !

Why atari and other manufacturers couldn't grasp ergonomics until around the super nintendo's release is beyond me !

It's like they had some old tool and die maker telling them everything had to be square with sharp edges or 3 " thick.

I prefer pilot type sticks with fire buttons on the top of the stick & have some really clean bordering new Quick Shot joysticks for 2600 that I recently got in a large lot , which I simply cant use . I thought I'd be a smart asz and flip the removable ergo handle around but before doing so figured I'd also have to reverse the guts [impossible] or get a schematic to reverse the wire locations for the up /down & left /right to function correctly.

In the end,the fire button would have been on the right hand side, but to the back of the stick, not to the front. a lost cause.

So they are going on the bay with a system I'm putting up.

I love the idea of having cx-78's, but dont care for the joypads on platform games,[most games really] as at least to me they seem to stick, especially on Donkey Kong. I have to say I am not a fan of the 7800 controller either, at least it has ambidextrous firing buttons , just seems the guts are cheap junk and they don't last long !

Ive used a Suncom Tac-3 for so many years on 2600 and commodore games that it's become an item I buy whenever I find a nice one.

I have a NOS point master pro sealed in the plastic box that I have been toying with finally opening and using as those are pretty nice sticks.

However, we are talking 5200 controllers aren't we ?

The Wico command control is a well built stick, but I detest the pointy top of the stick, and the buttons are on the wrong side...and why would I spend that kind of money for s used one much less new to still have to use a frigging Y cable, which means I still have to get off the couch to hit pause or fiddle around with a second controller and tangled cables???.

Space Dungeon and Robotron 2084 are enough of a drag with 2 controllers, I'd can the system if I had to do that for every game....

The cx-52 was so weird feeling for me back in the day. I believe If you work with the cx52 long enough it becomes an extension of your hand/arm. All the complaining about the lack of self centering really doesn't bother me, as I feel in complete control of the movement rather than working off of the self centering of a digital stick.

If your cx52 is fully functional and your console properly calibrated, you don't need the Wico stuff.

Just an observation..Everyone is different and that's why we have the many options we do for Atari !

Good topic for us lefties !

Back in the day it wasn't so bad. But the buttons would always break. Missle command never worked. Even at a relatives house never got it to work. I always wondered how you were supposed to play the game. That was until I got a used 5200 off ebay. Now I can play missle command. But anyway the stock controllers were great except for the buttons refusing to work after 1000 presses or so. I even played frogger and got through like 4 or 5 levels or something like that. But now I can't stand it. Either that or my controllers are in need of a gold rebuild.

Anyhow as for the wico the pointy thing is not bad. And for some games like frogger the wico is much better. Plus. it was only 20 dollars on ebay. So It was no big deal.

But I hate buttons are on the left instead of the right. And a rubber band does not keep them pressed. Maybe a competition pro 5000 would help or an atari masterplay, but it is so hard to find those. even on ebay.

I know the cx52 isnt for everyone...

You'll love the gold rebuild...makes the stick better than original new.

I bought a pair of those NOS boxed cx52's on ebay a couple months back & neither worked right , they both were last production ones with the really sh!tty pots in them having the carbon cloth glued down for the sweepers to run on...what a joke !

I gutted one, and installed a pair of good used panasonic pots and the gold rebuild flex circuit & buttons . Man the controller is a monster now!

There was a masterplay interface up not so long ago. I should have bought it as it sod for reasonable compared to most.