IGNORED

Homebrew 5200 games for 2003

Cafeman

Well, since everyone has asked here it is:

AirWorld is on hiatus. I'm not really sure how long this will last. Ryan has vanished and it's been very difficult to continue without him. If anyone would like to pitch in we could sure use the help.

I have been busy with "real-world" projects lately and I haven't been able to code much.

I hope you will all be patient as this project will go on.

That's too bad, Dutchman. I see at the Airworld dev site that John is now listed as the newest coder. Do you really need Ryan, since he's disappeared?

Might as well take this opportunity to remind everyone that Adventure II's dev site is here and I will be updating it fairly regularly until the game is done. Brace yourself for pop-ups and click:

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...Adventure2.html

That's too bad, Dutchman. I see at the Airworld dev site that John is now listed as the newest coder.  Do you really need Ryan, since he's disappeared?  

Might as well take this opportunity to remind everyone that Adventure II's dev site is here and I will be updating it fairly regularly until the game is done.  Brace yourself for pop-ups and click:

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200dev/Adventure2.html

I don't mind the ones coming in, but the ones going OUT are a litlte obnoxious. Nice screen shots though - gets me drooling for the game!

However, could a game like Gauntlet or Dark Chambers (or a new game in the mold of an old D&D hack and slash style game) be made for the 5200? That would be my wish for a 5200 homebrew.

Are you looking for an action type of game for the 5200 or something like The Bard's Tale and Wizardry?

WRL

Bill --

I never thought about the contradiction, but with video games I really don't like needing to study a big instruction manual before I play (probably why I love classic games -- simple to play, but tough to master). However, I do/did love good ol' basic D+D. I love the actual sitting down/ role-playing etc. and I think it loses a lot when you play RPGs on the computer (I never got into that at all). By the way, I was in a comic store the other day and saw Slashmaster manuals and basic set. It a complete parody of all the original D+D modules and the basic and expert set, but it at the same time can be played for those who want a return to the old Basic D+D.

By the way, have you ever played Tower of Doom -- great game!

How's your Solitaire game coming along

Working on it a little bit. School has kept me pretty busy.. I recently got the sprites working a bit better and made a to-do list (so I know what to work on when I have the time/energy). My progress might be slow, but the project is NOT dead.

calamari

By the way, have you ever played Tower of Doom -- great game

The only thing I can remember playing on Intelevision was baseball and football. Is there an emulator somewhere?

I was in a comic store the other day and saw Slashmaster manuals and basic set

Isn't it HACKMASTER??? I've seen the spoof of Keep On The Borderlands, but I never looked at it. I've been playing 3rd edition D&D for the last two years after not playing for about fifteen years.

WRL

good lord, all the top secrets.  I'm authorized to tell you I don't give a rat's ass until I see the screenshots! ;)

Yea, well we all know there are sooooo many people into collecting 5200 prototypes. It's really hard to guess who could be holding on to these games and only showing them to a select few and giggling to them 'I'm the only one who has this, he he he he he!' Gee, I wonder who it could be?

(And no it's not Tempest, so that should narrow it down about 25%.)

Allan

Agreed on the subject of prototypes. It makes no difference, since a hoarded proto is almost 100% guaranteed not to be made into a finished workable game :sad: ...and that's where homebrews come in.

Anyway, RPG's like Gateway To Apshai should be able to be ported to the 5200 with relative ease. The simple interface would be easy to implement on a 5200 controller. Temple Of Apshai would be as well...if it were broken into it's three chapters.

I don't know if the 5200 is powerful enough, but I would love to see a game like I, ROBOT or SINISTAR!

I Robot would be impossible to do in its 3D form. You'd have to isometricise (now there's a word!) the view.

Sinistar is possible. The 5200 joysticks are practically ideal for it. The problem would be the vast number of objects that should be on screen for that one.

The company I work for was going to do a Sinistart port for Pocket PCs and Palms, so we got all kinds of original source code, so my lead engineer knows exactly how the screens are built and abstractred and so forth. Maybe I should get him to write it. haha

Sinistar is possible.  The 5200 joysticks are practically ideal for it.  The problem would be the vast number of objects that should be on screen for that one.

The company I work for was going to do a Sinistart port for Pocket PCs and Palms, so we got all kinds of original source code, so my lead engineer knows exactly how the screens are built and abstractred and so forth.  Maybe I should get him to write it.  haha

Now, this sounds interesting!!! PLEASE, use your Dilbert managerial powers for the good of the ATARI Community!!! Since the 5200 can do multiple objects like Robotron and Defender (not to mention Stargate), I'll bet it could work!

I wonder how labor intensive would it be to port it to the 5200? Perhaps a cost analysis is in order? :)

- VD

Sinistar would probably need extensive software sprites. The red miners and hunters and asteroids could all be software sprites, the players ship a Player, the mined crystals missiles. sinistar could be the other 3 players.

I suppose if you used 3 players for the enemy ships, and cleverly doubled them with DLI's, you could get 6 enemies on-screen with no or little flicker too. But the enemies would all be 1 color then. It's too bad nobody is worthy to see the Sinistar 5200 prototype, it'd be interesting to see how THEY did it.

Was there a Sinistar version on 8bit? I don't recall one.