IGNORED

Atari 800XL starts with selftest

Marius

Hi

One of my 800XL's is having strange issues. I was using it with a custom rom, that had not the "checksum" routines, so the Atari worked great... untill I tried to enable basic, which resulted in a crash.

Now I installed the default OS and the Atari selftest starts, and I have one bar RED.

I'm pretty sure that:

The BASIC ROM = OK

The OS ROM = OK

Since I had problems with going to basic with the Custom OS Rom, I was wondering:

Which parts are involved with the Basic Rom?

I had a blown LS08 in this computer (static electricity?) so I replaced it, and the computer started again. But it was not enough fix...

Anyone has an Idea

RAM = OK

Where to start?

Greetz

M.

From another source.

The Atari MMU is a custom MMU chip for the Atari 8-bit computers. It enables access to the hardware registers on ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY and 6520 PIA. The later XL/XE MMU (C061618) also selects OS ROM, Atari BASIC ROM, self-test ROM and LEDs in the 1200XL. The user cannot directly manipulate the Atari MMU, but selects the various ROMS and memory via the memory-mapped hardware register known as PORTB (5401710 or D30116). Atari changed PORTB from an input port on the 400/800 machines to an output port on the XL/XE machines, leaving two joystick ports instead of four on the XL/XE machines. By setting and clearing specific bits in PORTB, the user can access either the ROMs or memory location.

Hmmm I replaced the 20 pins PAL C061618 ... is this the MMU?

That was the trick.

I was wondering: is this part replacable by a GAL? Has someone JEDEC file for that?

And which GAL to use?

Here you go:

mmupal.zip

You need a 16v8. Useless to me, since although I have GALs, the crappy eBay programmer won't write them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...