IGNORED

Atari 2600 Orange Paint Match

vectormatt

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the forum - although I have been reading the posts for a while. I've mostly been an arcade collector for many years and have lately turned to consoles.

Anyway - I've been searching and googling this topic before posting and I can't seem to find the definitive answer. Is there a specific orange paint match for the Atari 2600 joysticks that most people use? Usually there's a perfectionist or two out there that know exactly what to recommend. :)

Matt

I don't know if there is an Atari orange out there. I work in a paint store so I might be able to find something close, but nothing official of course.

This thread did make me think of something, though. That slogan "Good Games Only Need One Red Button" really should say "Orange", right? The buttons definitely are orange and not red.

The buttons definitely are orange and not red.

Some are, some aren't. I don't know if had anything to do with variations in the methods/materials used to manufacture the buttons, or age, or what. Some CX-40 buttons are more orange, some are more red. Generally they're a solid red-orange, but occasionally I see buttons that are straight-up orange.

The buttons on the "Darth" joysticks (all black, no orange ring, typically no foam-rubber feet, were packaged with Vader and Junior systems), however, are definitely red...in most cases. :D

:)

• Like 1

Thanks LittleJoe! I ordered the paint pen you recommended and it looks great. It's the exact same paint color for the joysticks and has the same glossy look. It was easy to apply but painting the letters TOP took a little skill. If you press too hard the paint will bleed into the O and P, so you have to have a light touch. It was easy to scrape out the unwanted paint with an exacto knife after letting it completely dry. My joysticks look brand new now. :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks LittleJoe! I ordered the paint pen you recommended and it looks great. It's the exact same paint color for the joysticks and has the same glossy look. It was easy to apply but painting the letters TOP took a little skill. If you press too hard the paint will bleed into the O and P, so you have to have a light touch. It was easy to scrape out the unwanted paint with an exacto knife after letting it completely dry. My joysticks look brand new now. :cool:

Cool, where did you order it from. I wonder if there are available locally in a craft store.

• 6 months later...

Never tried Pat Catans, but it may be a possibility.

I just had the pleasure of going there with my wife. While I was milling around trying to find anything worth buying in the entire store, I ended up in the art supplies area. They had a bunch of paint pens in different sizes. I bought an Orange one and a Silver one. I used the Orange on a Heavy sixer that is well worn and it looks great. I have a light six Sears with the Chrome trim, that was reasonably worn, so I put silver over the worn chrome, and while it is not chrome, it is uniformly silver, and is a definite improvement. I think they were about $3.50 each and I got the "medium" size which is the 2nd largest out of 4-5 sizes.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are a couple of pics of my light sixer and a joystick after painting with the orange deco opaque paint pen suggested above by LittleJoe. This pen makes the job pretty easy and the color is certainly close enough for me. Before I started painting, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface. I didn't try to remove every bit of the original paint (most of it was already gone anyway.) I was just trying to make sure the surface was clean and free of any dirt or oils from fingerprints.

I have noticed one problem though. Even after letting the paint dry for a couple of days, it will still rub off fairly easily. Especially on the joysticks where you tend to rub against the paint while playing games. Has anyone else had this problem?

I may try to remove this paint and lightly sand the bare plastic (maybe with a 400 grit sandpaper?) just to provide a surface the paint can bond to better. I have also seen adhesion promoting primers for plastic at most auto parts stores. Has anyone tried either of these or other techniques to help the paint bond better?

IMG 20180506 211458021 LL

IMG 20180506 211414646 LL

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pics of my light sixer and a joystick after painting with the orange deco opaque paint pen suggested above by LittleJoe. This pen makes the job pretty easy and the color is certainly close enough for me. Before I started painting, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface. I didn't try to remove every bit of the original paint (most of it was already gone anyway.) I was just trying to make sure the surface was clean and free of any dirt or oils from fingerprints.

I have noticed one problem though. Even after letting the paint dry for a couple of days, it will still rub off fairly easily. Especially on the joysticks where you tend to rub against the paint while playing games. Has anyone else had this problem?

I may try to remove this paint and lightly sand the bare plastic (maybe with a 400 grit sandpaper?) just to provide a surface the paint can bond to better. I have also seen adhesion promoting primers for plastic at most auto parts stores. Has anyone tried either of these or other techniques to help the paint bond better?

wow, those look fantastic! :D

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 12/2/2018 at 1:47 AM, laz455 said:

Just got around to Rebuilt this one as follows: Paint is a Sharpie oil based paint marker, bought a fine & medium pen color is pretty close.

I also changed the boot,handle and PCB from Osgeld . It works like new but better :D

post-66169-0-53256500-1543733122.jpg

post-66169-0-11557300-1543733183.jpg

post-66169-0-42531400-1543733199.jpg

This looks amazing! How has it held up since?