IGNORED

New Commodore Branded Computers

I think this was a great idea.. But not now.. Maybe 5 years ago..

PCs are a dying breed, with all the tablets, netbooks, phones, etc...

I just don't see too many people buying new PCs anymore... (Except at work, and they aren't buying neat looking PCs..)

The only PCs I use at home anymore are my Amigas and Apple IIs (and the Vic-20 a bit, but I consider it more of a console the way I use it).. ;-)

Other than that, it's the laptop or the tablet... I haven't even turned on my PC in months...

I am a huge Commodore fan. Grew up with Commodore..

I don't feel this company is ruining the memory of Commodore.. If anything, cheap business practices to make money feels VERY Commodore to me.. ;-)

And I wish them luck. I like the look of it. ;-) But I'm not investing in it.. Nor buying. I'm too cheap! :-)

desiv

I don't think PC is dying. PC with a huge flatscreen and normal keyboard: It will be a long time before something can replace this for quality, at-home use. Mobile devices are cool when mobile, but they SUCK at home, IMO.

That being said, these Commodore PCs are overpriced and underpowered, and that is why they will fail. The original Commodore computers were EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE (neither overpriced nor underpowered).

Edited by wood_jl

I don't think PC is dying. PC with a huge flatscreen and normal keyboard: It will be a long time before something can replace this for quality, at-home use. Mobile devices are cool when mobile, but they SUCK at home, IMO.

That being said, these Commodore PCs are overpriced and underpowered, and that is why they will fail. The original Commodore computers were EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE (neither overpriced nor underpowered).

They have to drop the price and keep this specs, or keep this price and put in hardware that is worth the price.

That's a huge debate; the PC imho isn't going anywhere for a long time. Until this "cloud" and its associated devices can do everything that a PC can do..

I don't think it has to do everything...

It just has to do enough.. And we're getting closer all the time...

I know several people who use browsers and google apps for everything they do..

It's not a question of PCs going away.. It's a question of PCs becoming a minority market segment...

I see that happening, and as much as Apple drives me crazy, they've made a huge push to help it get closer to that..

desiv

I started a dedicated thread about the whole question of whether or not the PC is bound for extinction, or a minority status in the marketplace.

My answer is that there will always be a place for the PC as we know it, even if those people whose computing needs are relatively modest (web browsing, e-mail, Facebook, etc.) end up moving entirely to alternative platforms like tablets and smartphones. Once you start talking about computing tasks of any complexity, or tasks which involve manipulating large volumes of data, tablets and smartphones are entirely too limited and restricting.

• Like 2

I can't see people in a conference looking at their tablets or phones to see a presentation;

/start sarcasm

or else I predict eyesight will get much worse overall and glasses will make huge leaps and bounds in sales figures

/end sarcasm

jaybird3rd agreed, there will always be a place for a computer as a standalone device. Whether it is a minority or not, I guess I can see that happening. So I guess I'll be a super power user once people stop using standalone computers. Sounds cool.

The Commodore PC is too little too late, I know someone has said that already so I will say it again :)

So there's no market for this particular PC clone. PC's sure, but not a really overpriced and technically underpowered desktop. Now, an overpowered modular and upgraded desktop, there's always a market for those (at present).

Edited by nathanallan

I can't see people in a conference looking at their tablets or phones to see a presentation;

Saw that just last week.. :-) (iPads, not phones)

even if those people whose computing needs are relatively modest (web browsing' date=' e-mail, Facebook, etc.) end up moving entirely to alternative platforms like tablets and smartphones.[/quote']

I agree also.. I just think "those people whose computing needs are relatively modest" are going to be the majority of users...

desiv

Edited by desiv