IGNORED

Help...

Mclaneinc

Hi folks, anyone who read my thread "The sadness..The waiting" http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180286-the-sadnessthe-waiting/page__view__findpost__p__2256465 will now know I finally got my Atari gear thanks to the kindness of a friend, now I have to try and sort out an SIO2PC USB, the hundreds of discs I was lead to believe would happen sadly were lost, only one small box was found with a few in, sadly that wasn't able to be delivered.

Now a question, if you read my thread you will see that money is a serious issue with me, the net and a few small bits are my only luxuries, no drinking, smoking or partying (thankfully) :)

Is there a cheaper alternative to the SIO2PC usb that will work with or similar software, I hate asking as I love the work Steve has done and I'd love to support him a million times over but saving cash isn't easy with an 11 year old and other bills :)

Just trying to make this old Atarian enjoy the real stuff again, its been such an important part of my life which was totally centred around the Atari since it was released.

So, are there any alternatives, thanks Paul..

If your PC has a serial RS232 port, use the most simple SIO2PC interface design. You can make it yourself if you can handle a solder iron. It's not complicated at all.

If you don't have a serial port, use a cheap USB<>RS232 convert (FTDI based) but in that case you can't use the A.P.E. software but AspeQt is an excellent alternative.

There is a mirror of the SIO2PC building instructions at this URL: http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/Extension/Sio2PC/The SIO2PC interface.htm

As said in the previous post this will require an RS-232 Serial port.

If you need a converter to USB the please only use FTDI based devices, these can usually be found on ebay < 15 UKP with cable or <10 UKP with out.

Just search for "FTDI USB"

Sadly my soldering skills are zero now, odd for a guy who ran a branch of an electronics company and used to mod peoples machines, that's depression etc for you, makes motor skills one bit harder. So much so I gave my nice 15w antex iron away as I could not keep the tip still.

That's why I use a spell checker, I over type many words so duplicate letters because of the shake.

I was looking at getting a 9pin PCI card but the prices are crazy, the PC I have now does not even have a floppy let alone 9 & 25 pin connections.

I really am trying to find a way around it but it's looking a bit out of range so far.

Thanks for the reply people..All appreciated..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Sadly my soldering skills are zero now, odd for a guy who ran a branch of an electronics company and used to mod peoples machines, that's depression etc for you, makes motor skills one bit harder. So much so I gave my nice 15w antex iron away as I could not keep the tip still.

That's why I use a spell checker, I over type many words so duplicate letters because of the shake.

I was looking at getting a 9pin PCI card but the prices are crazy, the PC I have now does not even have a floppy let alone 9 & 25 pin connections.

I really am trying to find a way around it but it's looking a bit out of range so far.

Thanks for the reply people..All appreciated..

Can anyone confirm if you can use a FT232RL USB to Serial coverter based cable as described here with Aspeqt or APE using the virtual com port drivers?

Paul - if someone can confirm this will work I can probably help as I have parts on hand. I would need a SIO cable though since I'm running low.

Can anyone confirm if you can use a FT232RL USB to Serial coverter based cable as described here with Aspeqt or APE using the virtual com port drivers?

Paul - if someone can confirm this will work I can probably help as I have parts on hand. I would need a SIO cable though since I'm running low.

Hi, sadly I only have the one and was hoping to hold on to at least one just in case, I presume SIO's can be had via ebay etc and won't cost me to much?

Thank you for the help, I'll await the out come of your question re the 232 and any other suggestions.

Sorry about sounding so bloody stupid and helpless but trust me, I don't enjoy it too much myself, my rules are, don't get old, don't get old ages sicknesses before your time and never get depression...They will make sure you life is a pain in the a**e :)

Hi, sadly I only have the one and was hoping to hold on to at least one just in case, I presume SIO's can be had via ebay etc and won't cost me to much?

Thank you for the help, I'll await the out come of your question re the 232 and any other suggestions.

Sorry about sounding so bloody stupid and helpless but trust me, I don't enjoy it too much myself, my rules are, don't get old, don't get old ages sicknesses before your time and never get depression...They will make sure you life is a pain in the a**e :)

I'll have a dig about. I might have another spare SIO cable. Happy to help a fellow Atarian :)

The FT232RL (FTDI) is what I use with AspeQt and it works.

Does not seem to work with APE DOS version when using standard VCP driver. Didn't try other drivers nor APE-Win.

edit:

For external versions, I usually use complete SIO cable's and mount the SIO2PC interface in about the middle of it. This way it can still be used as an ordinary SIO cable.

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

Can I just say a big thanks to everyone, the suggestions and the wonderful offers from Mimo, Steve and Spookt have brought a huge smile to my face and given me a bit of faith in humanity.

I guess what I'll do is save up for a USB version from Steve rather than buy add on PCI cards and other leads, my poor old PC does not have serial or parallel ports so I'd need to purchase a PCI card so the other leads could work??

Also it would save people banging up SIO leads.

Mimo has very kindly offered to make me a 9pin D 8833mk2 to Atari AV cable which is brill.

Again, THANK YOU, now hoping to get the Mother in law to get me the SIO2PC USB as my 50th present in June, wish me luck :)

EDIT, Mimo...Forget the 9 pin, that's all the RGB stuff, the composite goes in as 2 phono's...Doh...Sorry, forgot that..

Can I just say a big thanks to everyone, the suggestions and the wonderful offers from Mimo, Steve and Spookt have brought a huge smile to my face and given me a bit of faith in humanity.

I guess what I'll do is save up for a USB version from Steve rather than buy add on PCI cards and other leads, my poor old PC does not have serial or parallel ports so I'd need to purchase a PCI card so the other leads could work??

Mimo has very kindly offered to make me a 9pin D 8833mk2 to Atari AV cable which is brill.

Again, THANK YOU, now hoping to get the Mother in law to get me the SIO2PC USB as my 50th present in June, wish me luck :)

EDIT, Mimo...Forget the 9 pin, that's all the RGB stuff, the composite goes in as 2 phono's...Doh...Sorry, forgot that..

Paul - I'm still happy to build you a cable since I now know it works with Aspeqt. I just found a couple of spare SIO leads so I could do it for postage? Let me know.

Paul - I'm still happy to build you a cable since I now know it works with Aspeqt. I just found a couple of spare SIO leads so I could do it for postage? Let me know.

If I can send stuff from the PC to the Atari then I'll be very Happy.

If its no problem then yes please, I'll go see if I can find the software now.

Send me a message with your address so I can send you some cash and I'll pass you my address back.

Still stunned how great people are in here, its what I love about the retro community as a whole, everyone chips in as best they can to help each other.

You all have made a miserable old grump feel very happy..Cheers from sunny Northolt UK...

I make and sell SIO2PC-usb cables, installed in brown A8 cart for $25+shipping...

post-24811-0-63190500-1302636657_thumb.jpg

they work fine with aspeqt, and linux and windows xp natively recognise them as serial ports. (they use a FTDI chip internally)

also if you need a MAX232 chip i have a few HIN232CPZ (a clone/second source of the MAX232), for $2.50+shipping (also trades welcome)

sloopy.