IGNORED

electocop request

pynew

i just found out that electrocop is based on imp.mission is this a good version to have in my collection :?: My wife loved the C-64 version and would love it on lynx.If i cant get it in australia,does anybody have a spare copy i could buy :?: :) I also just made a new timber case to store my lynx,power supply,booklets and room for 60 games[even though i have only 33 games] i hope to extend my collection.how do you guys store your games :?:

As you can see in the thread that NE146 posted called "EGM Lynx preview! (warning: 400k total)," the original name for Electrocop (before it was released) was Impossible Mission.

While the game doesn't bear much resemblance (from either a graphical or gameplay point of view) to the classic Impossible Mission game from a few years earlier, there are some elements of the gameplay that have similarities. One of the most obvious examples is the ability to access computer terminals in order to temporarily disable robots. The game might've been conceived as a more action-oriented and futuristic-styled version of Impossible Mission.

Atari changed the name of the game before releasing it. They either figured it didn't resemble IM enough to be officially included in the series, or they couldn't get the rights to the IM name from Epyx. It's not like it really mattered much in the end, as you know what they say about a rose by any other name. :)

To answer the original poster's question: It's a very different game from IM, but it is still one of the better Lynx games (in the top 20%). I certainly recommend it!

Why does this game leave me cold? Graphically and musically the game is great. The transparent effect of the walls and enemies are particularly interesting. The floors are rendered great as well. The gameplay, however, is another thing. I thought it was nothing more than a maze game and a frustrating one at that. I realize now the game is not linear and getting to the last level is not the end of the game. If the computers gave more than just skeleton key programs and stasis and instead gave out maps and hints, it would be much less confusing and fun to play. I thought the weapons except the smart bomb were pretty much the same. I liked the armor aspect of the weapons and the fact you can lose them if they take enough hits. However, shooting is linear. Really only shooting left and right. Not a horrible game but pretty graphics does not a great game make.

• 1 month later...

Electrocop is one of those games that you either love or hate; there's very little middle ground. Personally, I remember being blown away when I first played it (back in 1989), and it still looks terrific today.

Gameplay-wise, Electrocop has more in common with Atari Games' Xybots, another 3D maze shooter in the vein of Gauntlet. Electrocop, however, has more adventure elements, with the doors, power-ups, and non-linear play.

I was playing a little this weekend, and I noticed how tense the game becomes as the clock winds down. One hour seems like a lot, but before you know it, you're going in circles and it's down to five minutes. That makes it a lot tougher to run through the circuit boards without getting killed.

The game's only real flaw -- a real problem with every Lynx game -- is that there's no real ending. No final boss battle, no great ending sequence, nothing. Grr. Other than that, it's a terrific game if you're willing to put in the time. Oh, and bring along a pen and pad; you'll need it.