IGNORED

Loading audio files from PC to [Apple, Sinclair, etc)

How can I load tape files (in, say, .wav form) to an older computer with cassette in/out (or ear/mic)?

I tried it the other day with my Timex Sinclair 1000. I connected the speaker jack on my laptop to the ear jack on the Timex, thinking I could do a LOAD " " and press play on Windows Media Player. But it didn't work, either because I did something wrong (most likely), or because Sinclair tape files require names, which I'm not sure the .wav files have. I also tried recording the .wav file to a cassette in the same way. It recorded fine, and theoretically it should have loaded with no problems, but I kept getting load errors. And I know the tape drive (a TRS-80 unit) isn't the problem, as I've saved/loaded with it numerous times in the last couple of weeks.

I also tried a PC-to-Apple IIe file load, again without success.

I'd like to be able to do this, especially with my Timex Sinclair and Aquarius, because a lot of cool games for these systems were only released on tape...and in Europe, which makes the prospect of finding ZX81 tapes here in Wisconsin pretty unlikely. :D It would also be interesting to mess with Apple I games (which I believe should run in Apple II Integer BASIC...correct me if I'm wrong), as well as early Apple II games.

And yes, I've tried just typing in BASIC listings (when I can find them), but it ends up being more of a headache than it's worth...there ALWAYS end up being tiny-but-consequential errors buried in code.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

:)

you have to tinker with the output volume on the PC to get it just right which can be a bit tricky to pull off. too low it wont work, too high it wont work.

i know that is what you have to do to xfer data from a PC to a Apple II using ADTPro (xfer disk images over to the Apple II to make a disk), but the same might be true for audio data using a audio player files.http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/connectionsaudio.html for something of a reference point.

heck someone used a Ipad to load data to a Apple II by a single line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-y9vl5xopM

the above might give you pointers.

but its mainly trying to adjust the volume output correctly.

you could also be getting some form of interference between the devices.

Edited by madmax2069