IGNORED

Rare Find

gamerguy89

I just bought a bunch of old Atari stuff and one of the units said for promotional use only. A few of the games were unusual and uncommon. I was able to find most of them on ebay or in the Rarity Guide but for one item. It is Mr T made by Activision. I did find some references to the game online but very little info. Does anyone know of the background on this item and if it was ever released to the general public? I am thinking I might have found a rare treasure and wonder what it might be worth.

I just bought a bunch of old Atari stuff and one of the units said for promotional use only. A few of the games were unusual and uncommon. I was able to find most of them on ebay or in the Rarity Guide but for one item. It is Mr T made by Activision. I did find some references to the game online but very little info. Does anyone know of the background on this item and if it was ever released to the general public? I am thinking I might have found a rare treasure and wonder what it might be worth.

icon_ponder.gif ...

It would be great if it were true. Video, photo, history, independent third party preservation and confirmation (there are some die hard museum curator types that can verify the data on the cartridge) would all be your best move at this point. Will be watching with great interest with the hopes it pans out.

I pity the fool that would make up a Mr.T game ;) :D

AX

• Like 2

There were two different versions of Mr. T... the Data Age one as already pointed out and the incredibly and extremely rare (almost unheard of) Mr. T by Activision. See, there was a legal battle between the rights of the two companies to produce such a game. Activision had already programmed the game, but Data Age actually secured the rights to reproduce the intellectual properties. Anyway, enough of the legal mumbo jumbo. The way to tell if you have the super-duper more rarer version is in the gameplay:

You control Mr. T, the lovable character as himself or Clubber Lang or Baracus even, in a quest that has them knocking on doors, begging for money so he can purchase bikes for all the kids at the local orphanage. After you knock on a door and someone answers, you'll need to wriggle your joystick back and forth real quick-like in order to get the homeowner to relinquish some cash. Wriggle it, just a little bit and they'll slam the door in your face leaving you, err... empty handed. Go nuts on the joystick like a good little wanker and you'll be rewarded with a cash allotment. What's nice about this game is that Mr. T can change his identity to Clubber or Baracus and go back to the same homes he had visited already in a shameless attempt to procure even mo' money. Bear in mind though, this feature is only applicable if Difficulty Switch #1 is in the 'B' position. When Difficulty Switch #1 is in the 'A' position, you've only got ONE chance to bleed the hearts of the overworked, overtaxed and unsuspecting homeowners, so make your plea a good one! There's even a special 'kids' mode when playing with Difficulty Switch #2 in the 'B' position: TJ Hooker, which is controlled by the computer, assists in the panhandling! Double your pleasure, quadruple the fun! After you've amassed a certain amount of cash, you then need to make your way through the traffic which is comprised of all the people you harassed and didn't get money from. Be careful! There's tons of 'em and making your way to Wal-Mart to purchase the bikes is the hardest part of the game and it doesn't end there...

Once near Wally-Worlds' entrance, there's yet another obstacle to overcome: homeless cigarette and crack smoking beggars will try to rob *you* of your "hard earned" money, what nerve! Claiming all sorts of trivialities that most people have the kind of couth to keep to themselves. Watch out! The more degenerates you bump into, the less money you'll have to spend on the kids in the orphanage, so fight your way inside before you're flat busted and have to resort to wanking all over again and that would be a Bozo no-no if there ever was one!

In the end, this is a perfect example of a rare or impossible to find game that's not worth a dang. Best give it away to a charity such as The Salvation Army or your local hospital thrift store where more of the proceeds actually go to helping real children that would like real bikes someday.

• Like 1

Please show us a picture of the cart.

If it's truly VCS and if it's not this one:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2074

then you've most probably hit the jackpot.

8)