IGNORED

C64 Flash Solution for GAMES

I've got a C64, in fact I've been trying to sell it. However, at the Midwest Gaming Classic my son enjoyed playing Space Taxi. He really wants to keep the C64. I'm not into classic computer for the sake of computing. Only as video game machines. I'm not looking for some hassle where you have to hook it up to a PC, or play around with typing crap. I want my 6 year old to select titles from a menu and play. What is my best solution and value for doing that?

Thanks,

AX

Jim Brain's uIEC! :) It's cheap, relatively easy to use, and it uses CF cards so it's relatively simple. Good price!

Or if you really wanted you could go the 1541-Ultimate route. That one's pretty spendy though, but you get what you pay for.

I was gonna recommend the uIEC too, but I think AX is really just after something as convenient as the flash carts for the Atari's. uIEC is more or less, a floppy drive emulator. You still have to type and wait forever (unless you have JiffyDOS installed) in order to play a game. It's only $50, so compared to the real flash carts that plug into the cartridge port - it's a steal. All of the flash carts for the cartridge port are discontinued and hovered around the $100 mark (MMC replay, MMC64) except this one in Beta stage right now that costs nearly $280 U.S. That would give you a menu to choose from and has a ton of other features as well:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_chameleon.htm

(don't think you'd be interested in this, but it's a cool little box all the same)

Edited by save2600

Space Taxi is a multiload game, so I don't believe it can be put to a cart. That said, I'd make sure that whatever solution you choose can handle that one. I'm pretty sure the cracked version in Gamebase 64 has had all all of the drive specific code ripped, but there's a chance it might not work with anything other than a real drive or a 1541u.

• Like 1

So teach the boy to operate the darn thing ;) got it. First I gotta teach me.

AX

Careful... once you go C64, you'll never go back! :rolling:

On a serious note, if you're going to keep the C64 for a while, you'll definitely want to pick up the JiffyDOS chip. Not only does it speed up all disk functions (4x-8x!), but it also provides you with function key shortcuts so you don't have to always be typing in the same old long ass DOS strings.

What if I were to go with the JiffyDOS thing, is there a 3.5" solution? I'd like to be able to download content and use a modern machine to make a disk. I see the JiffyDOS chips on ePay.

AX

Well, it's not like you can download stuff to your PC and play it in a 1581 drive... I was assuming you were looking into the uIEC at this point. In case this hasn't been made clear yet, the JiffyDOS even works on the uIEC. It's not mandatory by any stretch... just really, really helps speed things up. Somebody would have to verify that the multi-loading Space Taxi works on it before you go investing $80 between JiffyDOS and a uIEC though. 1541's are a dime a dozen and so is most of the C64 software on disk. Collecting original carts can be another story of course.

What if I were to go with the JiffyDOS thing, is there a 3.5" solution? I'd like to be able to download content and use a modern machine to make a disk. I see the JiffyDOS chips on ePay.

AX

Well, it's not like you can download stuff to your PC and play it in a 1581 drive... I was assuming you were looking into the uIEC at this point. In case this hasn't been made clear yet, the JiffyDOS even works on the uIEC. It's not mandatory by any stretch... just really, really helps speed things up. Somebody would have to verify that the multi-loading Space Taxi works on it before you go investing $80 between JiffyDOS and a uIEC though. 1541's are a dime a dozen and so is most of the C64 software on disk. Collecting original carts can be another story of course.

Bottom line, he wants Space Taxi. I want to get there and make it work. I've not found any for sale. Assumed that C64 disk images would be easy to find around the web.

AX

If you want to make a C64 floppy from a disk image, you will need a custom interface for the PC. Either a X1541 style interface, to hook the drive up to the PC, or a serial interface to transfer the file to the C64 which will write the image. This is the most compatible solution short of a 1541U. It's a bit of a pain, but kids have lots of time.

If you want to make a C64 floppy from a disk image, you will need a custom interface for the PC. Either a X1541 style interface, to hook the drive up to the PC, or a serial interface to transfer the file to the C64 which will write the image. This is the most compatible solution short of a 1541U. It's a bit of a pain, but kids have lots of time.

He is 6, so it's going to be tons of questions (and me doing it). Is that a common title?

AX

I'm confused about how you're getting Space Taxi. Do you need someone to make you a disk of it on an actual 5.25" disk? If so, I could do that for you, just PM me and I can get it out to you fairly quick. Do you already have a 1541 (or compatible) drive?

Excellent taste in games, by the way. Space Taxi is one of my top 3 favorite C64 games.

I'm confused about how you're getting Space Taxi. Do you need someone to make you a disk of it on an actual 5.25" disk? If so, I could do that for you, just PM me and I can get it out to you fairly quick. Do you already have a 1541 (or compatible) drive?

Excellent taste in games, by the way. Space Taxi is one of my top 3 favorite C64 games.

Not yet, but I'm shopping around for one. His birthday is in three days and he actually asked for it. Taking him to MGC made him a classic game fiend.

AX