IGNORED

Atari 2600 Tree Hugger Homebrew

Albert

I am going to be the opposition on this one.  I for one am horrified at the idea of this game.  The paving roads bit doesn't bother me that much..but the spotted owl hunting and the sniper bit on whales down right pisses me off! :x   Sorry Billy but I will not be purchasing this game.  And I am not going to say anything more on this.  I am offended by the idea and that is my opinion.

While I understand your opinion Crossbow, I think the whole point of the game is that it's supposed to be over-the-top, an extreme parody of environmentalist activism. I'm the first one to advocate wildlife conservation and greener government policies - I even voted Nader in 2000. Still I'm saavy enough to see this game for the joke that is, and I have enough of a sense of humor to appreciate that hey, it's only a game. I think my biggest issue with a lot of hardcore environmentalists (the same with feminists and other -ists) is they take themselves too seriously.

You mean follow it onscreen?  I don't think I've ever seen a light gun game that did that.  You might as well buy a $5 laser pointer and mount it on the light gun itself. ;)

Rob

What I meant was, to use the gun to change the view. You move the gun left, it pans left, you move the gun right it pans right. And then you could have a little cross hair that follows where you are pointed. That, I think, would be hard (if not impossible). So for now, I will probably keep with the idea for using the joystick to move the crosshairs.

- Billy

I am going to be the opposition on this one.  I for one am horrified at the idea of this game.  The paving roads bit doesn't bother me that much..but the spotted owl hunting and the sniper bit on whales down right pisses me off! :x   Sorry Billy but I will not be purchasing this game.  And I am not going to say anything more on this.  I am offended by the idea and that is my opinion.

:thumbsdown:

I'm with you Crosbow, comming from a place in wich we take care of nature (the andes in south america) I really dislike this game, or his ideas about killing walles or spiling oil in the ocean, even if it's ironic, I don't think it's right and will not support that kind of games. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Well, my initial gut reaction over the content of Tree Hugger was one of shock and dismay, until I took a deep breath, stepped back, and laughed at how over-the-top it all is. And I'm so pro-environment that I don't even own a car.

But hey, videogames are escapist entertainment. And it's fun to play the bad guy sometime. That's why Grand Theft Auto -- as morally bankrupt as that game is -- is so much goddamn fun. Sure, hopefully you're not really going to pave the earth, or shoot whales, or even kill people in real life. But that's why there are videogames.

There are so many Atari 2600 games where you have to shoot someone, and no one bats an eye. But shoot a whale, and people make a stink? Sheesh... It's all just pixels, people!

Honestly, I am appalled by the subject matter of the game, particulary those levels that feature attacking endangered animals, but I also realize its a game (although I am TOTALLY ANTI-Grand Theft Auto). I'm willing to see what this game has to offer before I damn it or endorse it.

On the fence Stan :|

I am a conservative, and I do not believe in abusing animals and the environment, as it's all part of God's creation. I applaud those left-leaning persons who've posted on this subject who can take this game for what it is- just an outrageous parody of the environmentalist movement. For those who are getting all upset- as a conservative and Christian, I am somebody who is constantly having my values and beliefs made fun of and ridiculed on tv shows, movies, newspapers, and other media. Most of the time I just take it with a grain of salt, or not watch at all if I'm really offended. Don't buy the game if you don't get the "joke." Relax- and take this for what it is- an outrageous parody, meant to tweak the radical environmentalist activists who place more value in a housefly than human life and well-being. Nobody is going to go out and club a baby seal because of an Atari game.

but I also realize its a game (although I am TOTALLY ANTI-Grand Theft Auto).  

I am with you there, Stan. Grand Theft Auto I find totally tasteless and refuse to play it. The Tree Hugger idea, however, appeals to my sense of humor because it's SO over-the-top.

I am with you there, Stan.  Grand Theft Auto I find totally tasteless and refuse to play it.  The Tree Hugger idea, however, appeals to my sense of humor because it's SO over-the-top.

I suspect the same people who don't like GTA are the same people who won't go see Terminator 3 next summer, but IMHO that's their loss. :D

"She'll be back." :o

I can respect this game as a joke and I have nothing against Billy for making it, but personally I couldn't bring myself to play it. It would just make me really uncomfortable. Of course, I was totally against GTA until I played Vice City with a couple friends recently and actually had a lot of fun. There were a lot of things that I didn't like, made me nauseous even, but I just stopped doing them.

I can respect this game as a joke and I have nothing against Billy for making it, but personally I couldn't bring myself to play it. It would just make me really uncomfortable.  Of course, I was totally against GTA until I played Vice City with a couple friends recently and actually had a lot of fun. There were a lot of things that I didn't like, made me nauseous even, but I just stopped doing them.

That's the great thing about an immersive world like GTA actually. Just because it gives you the OPTION to solve a problem in the most violent manner doesn't mean you HAVE to. Only one time have I really gotten stuck with this on VC - I tried to resolve the "golf club" mission by pushing all of the other carts out of reach of his cronies, and then pushing his own into the water. The first part worked, but as soon as I pushed his too far away I got the "boys, deal with him" message. Mayhem ensued. :P

I think this sounds great! While I wouldn't condone any of these things in real life, I'll definetely play the game. In fact I encourage everybody out there to only do horrible things in video games and not in real life.

It's only a VCS game, as Sgt. Hulka once said,"Lighten up, Francis."

I suspect the same people who don't like GTA are the same people who won't go see Terminator 3 next summer, but IMHO that's their loss. :D

"She'll be back." :o

THAT won't be the reason I don't see T3. But I suspect that quote of yours is a good indication of why I won't be seeing it. ugh. :roll:

Speaking as someone who lives in the woodland areas of west KY (which are, apparently LACED with a lot of harmful waste from the damned Uranium enrichment plant down the road) I don't have a problem with the game. It's obvious it's just over the top, in good fun, and not trying to say that hurting the earth is a good idea. If I ever had any money, I'd buy one.

I got the joke - and I thought it was hysterical! For what it's worth, I consider myself an environmentalist (although I don't go out boating with Green Peace), and am against whaling, paving over what's left of our greenery, and hunting spotted owls.

However, as pointed out - this is a video game. And a 2600 game, at that. I'm no more offended by this than Wizard's Texas Chainsaw Massacre game. Just the low-rez nature of the graphics make that game almost comical to play.

So either you have a sense of humor that works for it, or you don't. Some people think Monty Python is offensive, or when cartoon characters drop anvils on one another's heads, and some don't.

If you want to make it a little more fair... give the whales and owls some guns! ;)

HehHeh I tried to hack "Sub Scan" a while back into "Nuke The Whales"

Can't remember if I ever got it done or not. The idea was hilarious to me... Drop depth charges and blow up endangered whales. Of course if anyone told me that it actually happened in real life I'd be upset as hell.

It's a sick joke but it works because and I hate to use the same term over and over, but the concept is so over the top that you have to know it's fantasy. I think of something like this game the same way I see the the movie Bad Taste. Too disgusting and deranged to be anything other than a joke.

Now I need to figure out if Billy hacked into my PC, saw "Nuke the Whales" and stole the idea.