IGNORED

Commodore 64 CP/M Cartridge

I recently picked up one of these on ebay, but can not get it going. I've downloaded the correct d64 image and copied to a floppy, but after I load "CPM",8 and run, the c64 just freezes...

Anyone ever get one of these to work???

Thanks,

Jay

The original C64 CP/M carts sucked pretty bad. 40col only and VERY SLOW disks. That said, the cart most likely works. The problem is your C64. Only the early (first year or 2) Commodore breadbox 64 will work. Later ones, and the C64c won't.

Its been many years, so I don't remember why that is, but it is.

I've read all of those pages but one when testing, even typed in the one test program, but that froze too...

I saw one comment from a Genie Posting that said that only a 64 with a 5 Pin DIN for the monitor jack would work?

There's a guy on eBay that is selling the complete package and listed "As Working".

I'll type in the Filtran program and see how that goes...

Thanks for the replies,

Jay

Or you could get a C128.

I +1'ed that, because I am a C128 lover, but remember....it's not the destination, it is the journey! I recently rescued a 2600 and spent more fixing it than a working one would cost, but the satisfaction was worth more than I could have saved by buying one (or just playing the one I already had).

Or you could get a C128.

That's all I need is another computer, have like 20 so far ;)

I was hoping to have another working tool for the 64 instead...

The problem with CP/M on the C64 is that the disk drive (1541) couldn't read CP/M formats so everything had to be made into a C64 native format.

Or, as noted, you could get a C128 with a 1571 drive and have it read real CP/M disks without a problem.

• 1 month later...