IGNORED

Opinion of the Gameboy vs Gameboy Pocket vs Gameboy Pocket light.

Just my personal opinion, but I found the GBC's screen very bad. Sort of suffering of the same problem as original GBA.

Had to have your own personal Supernova behind your back to actually see anything on the screen.

Somehow the monochromes managed to be still a bit easier to see, even in not completely perfect lightning. I guess less colors are easier to perceive.

Also GBC battery life seemed to received the shorter end of the stick, compared to its competitors WonderswanColor and NeoGeoPocketColor, but I think thats getting offtopic.

However, for my surprise, Wiki claims the GBC would have 30+ as batterlife, but my experience has been more around 15-20h... Oh well.

I'm rambling.

Just my personal opinion, but I found the GBC's screen very bad. Sort of suffering of the same problem as original GBA.

Had to have your own personal Supernova behind your back to actually see anything on the screen.

Somehow the monochromes managed to be still a bit easier to see, even in not completely perfect lightning. I guess less colors are easier to perceive.

Also GBC battery life seemed to received the shorter end of the stick, compared to its competitors WonderswanColor and NeoGeoPocketColor, but I think thats getting offtopic.

However, for my surprise, Wiki claims the GBC would have 30+ as batterlife, but my experience has been more around 15-20h... Oh well.

I'm rambling.

I actually own a NGPC but I am also looking at this from a collectors point of view seeing as I have none of the Handhelds from the early 90's as well as what will get me the most games for the cheapest price though a Gameboy Light would be nice, how much do those go for on here just wondering.

If my Yellow Pocket had a front light mod and some AA batteries, it would definitely be the best Game Boy model I own, but for factory it definitely hurts. The original GB may have a bad screen, but at least you can play it for dozens of hours.

The AGS-101 "GBA SP2" is obviously the best Game Boy, but weren't we considering only classic Game Boy models? Ones that didn't have color?

Man, the smell of early summer up here is making me wanna play some Game Boy games... Just like old times. :D

That was not my experience. I found the GBC easier to see in good lighting and require less lighting than the GBA. There were some games like Tony Hawk 3 that played fine on GBC, but were hard to see even in good lighting on the original GBA. I found the screen on the GBC to be clearer than the monochormes (blur seems to be more of an issue with the b/w systems), as well.

I like the SP model 2, but I feel, like the brighter settings on DS Lite, that it may have overdid the brightness a bit. Colors look a bit saturated on some games (especially GBC ones. No problems with being able to play some GBC games like on the original GBA since this is more brighter colors than darker ones, though). It definitely has better visibility, but I had no trouble with the brightness of the old SP with the light on.

Edited by BrianC

If my Yellow Pocket had a front light mod and some AA batteries, it would definitely be the best Game Boy model I own, but for factory it definitely hurts. The original GB may have a bad screen, but at least you can play it for dozens of hours.

The AGS-101 "GBA SP2" is obviously the best Game Boy, but weren't we considering only classic Game Boy models? Ones that didn't have color?

Man, the smell of early summer up here is making me wanna play some Game Boy games... Just like old times. :D

The more I look at it the more I am starting to think getting the Advance SP would be the best both in game selection and price wise. I have found a onyx model almost mint condition going to 10 dollars including shipping, though it still has 4 days to go.

Something to remember for those interested in playing GBC games on a GBA -- you can't play Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble on a GBA SP; the cart's upside-down.

Are you sure? I think I did, but maybe it was working "backwards"...?

'Course it was backwards. You can "play" the game but naturally the tilting is all wrong since the cart is upside down. This is one of the games you need an original upward GB/GBA slot for. :)

Maybe it's me but I just like having all types of Gameboys around (except for the GB Light).. not sure how you can limit yourself to just one type. :D

The GBC is a great machine, no doubt. The screen was nice, and the fact that it even played older GB games in color was neat too. Durable beast as well, as it was able to handle putting up with sandboxes, high drops, and other terrible things my 7-year-old self would put it through :P My friend had a pocket, which was pretty great too. He used that up until the GBA came out. Never seen a GB light, though...

Price, why pay £30 for a bashed up light when you can get a mint boxed pocket for like £10-£15, my opinion only though.

Regarding that SP version 2, Do you mean the AGS-101 Backlit model? If you do, I have one coming in stock early next week if your interested?

Yes, I mean the AGS-101.

Sure I am interested, as long its not pink or tribal.

Something to remember for those interested in playing GBC games on a GBA -- you can't play Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble on a GBA SP; the cart's upside-down.

Thats why I said in an earlier post "98%" of GB titles. As I guess that also includes that obscure "Boktai: The Sun is in your hand", with its light sensitive sensor, which tends to get easily covered by your hands on a SP.

It should be Black, I'll let you know when I get it early next week :)

The GBC is a great machine, no doubt. The screen was nice, and the fact that it even played older GB games in color was neat too. Durable beast as well, as it was able to handle putting up with sandboxes, high drops, and other terrible things my 7-year-old self would put it through :P My friend had a pocket, which was pretty great too. He used that up until the GBA came out. Never seen a GB light, though...

The GBC is indeed, a great machine, but I can't help but feel the screen should have been bigger. Compared to the Pocket, there's a lot of wasted space on that screen bezel. :x

To summarize my thoughts, now that I have almost all of the Game Boy models at once instead of one at a time over 10 years ago, I'll just put them in a list:

Best to least best:

GBA SP2 (AGS-101)

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy (and the PlayItLoud variants)

Game Boy Advance

The original GBA really is the worst though. For some bizarre reason, the screen is not reflective at all and is extremely hard to see. Not even the original Game Boy has such problems. Somebody could make a killing by selling new Game Boy front light mods. I know Project GB sells some, but only for the original Game Boy (kind of a wasted effort) and the Game Boy Pocket (not officially though). We need some for the Color and Advance as well!

I found the GBA to be brighter than the original SP with the light off, but darker than GBC for GB and GBC games. It still lacks blur for GB games, as well. Also, TFT screens can lose their reflectiveness if they are cleaned a certain way.

Edited by BrianC

The original GBA really is the worst though. For some bizarre reason, the screen is not reflective at all and is extremely hard to see. Not even the original Game Boy has such problems. Somebody could make a killing by selling new Game Boy front light mods. I know Project GB sells some, but only for the original Game Boy (kind of a wasted effort) and the Game Boy Pocket (not officially though). We need some for the Color and Advance as well!

I know this is a common opinion, but I really just never saw it that way. I've been using an original GBA for just shy of 10 years now, and have never had a complaint. You just need to hold it so that it captures a nearby light (I know you know this, just saying). I guess it's easier for some people and more practical in certain lighting conditions.

I have been thinking of picking up an SP, just to have the upgrade... but I've loved my basic GBA for so long, I almost can't talk myself into spending the cash. It works great (for me)!