IGNORED

Are you interrested in 2 players ONLY games?

youki

2 Players games ONLY?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interrested in 2 Players ONLY games

• No at all , i have no friends to play with me!
    • Yes , but won't buy a cartridge
    • Yes , i would love buy 2 players only game on cartridge

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Yesterday, i had an idea of a Original 2 player game ( player VS player ).

I think the game could be very fun to play.

But thinking about how to implement I.A to simulate the 2nd player when played alone make me thing :

1 - it will take me lot of time to implement a decent I.A .

2 - it will consume lot of cartridge space that could have been used for better graphics , sound and animation.

3 - the IA part is not fun to develop. (i'm currently working on I.A of my new "coming soon" game and that's not the more pleasant part of the development).

So my question , would you be interrested in 2 player only games ? Please respond to the poll.

And subsidiary question for publisher only :

Would you publish a 2 players only game?

And subsidiary question for publisher only :

Would you publish a 2 players only game?

Well, I'm planning to publish a ColecoVision version of Utopia in the future, which is mainly a two-player game. It can be played in single-player mode, but it's mostly just practice for the "real" game. I know that 2-player-only games are definately not the norm, especially on the ColecoVision, so I'm thinking of implementing a CPU-driven player in my version of Utopia... It's a long-term project at this point, so I don't worry much about it now. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

about UTOPIA it is three years now I stress you Luc :twisted: :thumbsup:

but really hope it will be possible to play alone.

I am 43...where to find another guy ready to play with me during the few minutes in the night ?????

Sorry not

good idea

but not for us, videogame veterans.

My wife hates me and my videogames

my daughters laugh when see my hobby, they play Wii and Xbox

For the ColecoVision, I've played Baseball and sometimes Rocky with my brother, but otherwise we played mostly one at a time infront of the tv at the various other games we had like Donkey Kong, Burger Time, Lady Bug and Pepper II. So, ColecoVision doesn't offer much options to play more than one player at the same time. For a more complete gaming experience, upcoming multiplayer CV games are welcome. :thumbsup:

Many games are 2 or more players only, including playing cards and boardgames, but 2-players only videogames?... I can't think of any. Even my collection of Coleco minigames called Gamepack#2 is offering different A.I. options for each game from simple mathematics to heuristics and min-max algorithms... did I mention that my favorite games in Gamepack#2 are isola and explosion?

Games like Chess should offer an A.I. at least average in order to offer a good game, but not all the multiplayer games have to offer a challenging A.I. to be fun to play. Maybe if you try to implement a not so stupid A.I. that may be a good opponent for begginners, offering a way to try the game, to practice a little before the real competition with others... I don't know, do your best to fit something. I've submited years ago a CV minigame named "Space Trainer" that is a 2 players oly game, and it received a pretty bad reaction because of no option to play alone. Since then, I've never considered making a Coleco game project that doesn't offer a single player mode.

In a gaming expo event or at a private videogame party, multiple players should be able to play the same videogames at the same time. This also avoid (in retrogaming at least) to use too much hardware and space to satisfy a lot of people.

I can think of 6 types of videogames that are played 2 or more players at the same time during retrogaming events : collecting stuff (frog bog), fighting (mortal kombat and many others), coop fighting (double dragon, gauntlet, golden axe), shooting (combat, golden eye), sports (pong, ice hockey), and rythmic (I know that it's not technicaly retrogaming but they are played during these events : guitar, dancing). I can't remember seeing any strategy games used in a retrogaming event, but are surely used in PC gaming competitions like the game StarCraft... however, these PC games don't share the same hardware.

Edited by newcoleco

I can think of 6 types of videogames that are played 2 or more players at the same time during retrogaming events : collecting stuff (frog bog), fighting (mortal kombat and many others), coop fighting (double dragon, gauntlet, golden axe), shooting (combat, golden eye), sports (pong, ice hockey), and rythmic (I know that it's not technicaly retrogaming but they are played during these events : guitar, dancing). I can't remember seeing any strategy games used in a retrogaming event, but are surely used in PC gaming competitions like the game StarCraft... however, these PC games don't share the same hardware.

I don't think the game i was thinking of enter in one of these 6 categories. Ok, as there is player vs player playing simultaneously , it could be a "fighting" game but there is no direct contact . It would be like a "sport" game but no sport... There are some kind of "shoot" but not only.

Let see , I really like the idea i got in fact, and may even if nobody is interrested i will just develop it for fun :) Just to see if the concept works! ;)

I don't think the game i was thinking of enter in one of these 6 categories. Ok, as there is player vs player playing simultaneously, it could be a "fighting" game but there is no direct contact. It would be like a "sport" game but no sport... There are some kind of "shoot" but not only.

So you're essentially developing a Pokemon-type game. :D

It would be interesting to see what you come up with youki. Depending on how cool the game is, I think you can probably sell a 2 player only game... however even a simple easy to beat AI would be a huge plus.

I am glad to hear that you are continuing to program on the ColecoVision.

2 player cooperative games like Tetris or Pac Man would be cool. Both players on screen at the same time would be excellent.

Kevin Horton released KevTris (a Tetris clone) in 1996 for the ColecoVision and it has a two player option - simultaneously on a split screen. The rom file is freely available for use with emulators or to transfer to an AtariMax USB or SD Cart. If you are feeling a little rich, Atari2600.com has a used cartridge (#47/100) available for $299.95!

2 player cooperative games like Tetris or Pac Man would be cool. Both players on screen at the same time would be excellent.

Kevin Horton released KevTris (a Tetris clone) in 1996 for the ColecoVision and it has a two player option - simultaneously on a split screen. The rom file is freely available for use with emulators or to transfer to an AtariMax USB or SD Cart. If you are feeling a little rich, Atari2600.com has a used cartridge (#47/100) available for $299.95!

For $299.95 I think I will just play the rom. It is a great game though!!!

For $299.95 I think I will just play the rom. It is a great game though!!!

You got that right!! Maybe if it was one of the last carts I needed and was #01 plus signed by Kevin. :D

No laughing matter there especially since I will probably end up buying it as I don't feel like waiting and hoping to see if one comes up on eBay and then get into a bidding war. BTW, does anyone know if Kevin made these carts himself or if someone else like Sean Kelly or Joe Santulli assembled them. I ask this only because from everything I am reading (old forum threads), there is an above normal failure rate with carts assembled by Sean (MultiCarts) and Joe... just picked up a Ms. Space Fury from Joe/Digital Press and as feared the cart is dead even though he said in the auction listing that all was good. As he stated to me, he was learning the skill of soldering back when these were produced and the cart probably got banged around enough in the mail to loosen the solder.

No laughing matter there especially since I will probably end up buying it as I don't feel like waiting and hoping to see if one comes up on eBay and then get into a bidding war. BTW, does anyone know if Kevin made these carts himself or if someone else like Sean Kelly or Joe Santulli assembled them. I ask this only because from everything I am reading (old forum threads), there is an above normal failure rate with carts assembled by Sean (MultiCarts) and Joe... just picked up a Ms. Space Fury from Joe/Digital Press and as feared the cart is dead even though he said in the auction listing that all was good. As he stated to me, he was learning the skill of soldering back when these were produced and the cart probably got banged around enough in the mail to loosen the solder.

Well you scared me into checking my Kevtris cart and it seems to be screwed up so it is possible that he did create the carts and they are error prone. The screen takes forever to get it to work usually comes up with the colecovision screen when I finally got it to work it started up and then after a minute it crashed and I haven't been able to get a stable enough start to try and play it again.

Do we know anyone who knows how to fix these things. I wouldn't mind the lable with a screw hole and a cut at the seam if I could get the cart to work again. That would be better than a messed up cart.

Well you scared me into checking my Kevtris cart and it seems to be screwed up so it is possible that he did create the carts and they are error prone. The screen takes forever to get it to work usually comes up with the colecovision screen when I finally got it to work it started up and then after a minute it crashed and I haven't been able to get a stable enough start to try and play it again.

Do we know anyone who knows how to fix these things. I wouldn't mind the lable with a screw hole and a cut at the seam if I could get the cart to work again. That would be better than a messed up cart.

If it is a soldering issue, I will repair it for free for you Dan.

• Like 3

If it is a soldering issue, I will repair it for free for you Dan.

I already sent mine back to Digital Press for Joe to take a look at/fix otherwise I'd take you up on your offer to Dan! :D

A BIG +1 goes out to Yurkie for his generosity.

Is it me or this thread is going all diretions? is that all the votes? only about 20 votes? come on!

No need to get excited newcoleco. I myself didn't vote yet, I think it depends on the game. I am sure if youki posts a screenshot and and gives a few details, he will get a lot more feedback.