IGNORED

C64 and C128 - What should I watch for while setting them up?

atarigal

My stepfather has a few of these in his cellar and I told him that I'd help him test them this weekend. According to him, they work(ed), but according to him the pyramids were built by aliens so that information might not be too reliable. At any rate, he hasn't used them in years, so I'm sure I'll need to be careful in powering them up. Any special advice or things to look out for? I've never used a C64 or C128, at least not since I was a kid in the 80's. Should I take them apart and try to clean them before turning them on like I would an old PC, or is that too touchy for a newbie?

He also has some Apple IIc's that he says used to work but now do not. Any easy/obvious way to tell what part of them is causing the issue?

I can't think of anything besides blowing in all of the ports to clear out any built-up dust (the round serial jack that connects to the disk drive, the controller ports, the A/V, etc.), and buying a can of air to spray into the disk drive (right down the center, with the door opened, obviously), so the accuracy of the read/write head isn't compromised by dust.

You probably already know the most important thing: Don't set the C64 or any of the peripherals on a carpet. One big spark can fry a computer; touch something metal to discharge any static electricity in you before handling any of that stuff.

Regarding the keyboard, I would definitely try it out before bothering to open it up. If the keys require very hard presses before they register (this is especially common with the C64's "Return" key), then the contacts beneath the keys will need some cleaning with Q-Tips and alcohol; but this might not be an issue, so see what happens first. Hope this helps!

...but according to him the pyramids were built by aliens so that information might not be too reliable.

Whoa, whoa...hold up a sec...are you trying to tell me that the pyramids WEREN'T build by aliens????? Does that mean I can finally take off my protective tinfoil hat??? icon_mrgreen.gif

• Like 1

Whoa, whoa...hold up a sec...are you trying to tell me that the pyramids WEREN'T build by aliens????? Does that mean I can finally take off my protective tinfoil hat??? icon_mrgreen.gif

Keep it on. The jury's still out on Stonehenge and Area 51. :ponder::D

icon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gif

My stepfather has a few of these in his cellar and I told him that I'd help him test them this weekend. According to him, they work(ed), but according to him the pyramids were built by aliens so that information might not be too reliable. At any rate, he hasn't used them in years, so I'm sure I'll need to be careful in powering them up. Any special advice or things to look out for? I've never used a C64 or C128, at least not since I was a kid in the 80's. Should I take them apart and try to clean them before turning them on like I would an old PC, or is that too touchy for a newbie?

He also has some Apple IIc's that he says used to work but now do not. Any easy/obvious way to tell what part of them is causing the issue?

I agree with Chris++ (though not with his choice of name, plus should always be spelled out)

Assuming it’s a C64 (and not a 64C) it may or may not work. C64 just sort of randomly fail.

For either system, if you do have issues, you might end up taking them apart to press down on the socketed chips to make sure nothing has worked loose over the years.

If you use disk drives with these systems, you ought to try cleaning the heads at a minimum before trying anything with them. 1541 drives can go out of alignment with time so this may manifest as disk read issues. If that is the case, there are many posts online for tuning them back up. There are also several keyboard cleaning posts for keys that don’t register (but I don’t think this is a common issue with either of those systems)

I agree with Chris++ (though not with his choice of name, plus should always be spelled out)

Assuming it’s a C64 (and not a 64C) it may or may not work. C64 just sort of randomly fail.

For either system, if you do have issues, you might end up taking them apart to press down on the socketed chips to make sure nothing has worked loose over the years.

If you use disk drives with these systems, you ought to try cleaning the heads at a minimum before trying anything with them. 1541 drives can go out of alignment with time so this may manifest as disk read issues. If that is the case, there are many posts online for tuning them back up. There are also several keyboard cleaning posts for keys that don’t register (but I don’t think this is a common issue with either of those systems)

There is a disk drive, not sure if it's the 1541 or what. I just glanced at it in the dark so I don't remember. If I have any trouble, or heck even if I don't have any trouble, I'll post here.

As a grammar nerd myself, I agree; but the nickname is a joke on the C++ language.

I apparently found it a clever alternative at some point, as "Chris" was taken.

Incidentally, sentences should always end with punctuation. :P :D

Edited by Chris++