IGNORED

Atari 2600jr prototype and another Atari 2600 Computer

Curt Vendel

Great finds! I have a couple q's though...

I remember PacMan being packed with Jr's in the "under 50 bucks" campaign. Was that correct?

Also, that looks to be a modified SIO cable for the keyboard. Was there any wiring done inside the 2600 cart connecter...or was that a complete mock-up as well?

Hi,

I've only seen Jr's packed with Combat, anyone else ever seen it packed with Pac Man??? The only time I saw Pac Man packaged was back in 83-84 when Atari was doing special packing of Pac Man games (fully boxed) in the VCS boxes (I would assume, just to offload excess inventory)

Yes the cable appears to be an SIO cable and no, there is nothing in the cart, its all just mockups. I would venture a guess that it was meant as a presentation model and not a final design spec.

Curt

Hi,

I've only seen Jr's packed with Combat, anyone else ever seen it packed with Pac Man???   The only time I saw Pac Man packaged was back in 83-84 when Atari was doing special packing of Pac Man games (fully boxed) in the VCS boxes (I would assume, just to offload excess inventory)

Curt

The PAL Jr's was packed with 32in1 from Atari. And I get the last days a 4-switch Black PAL, with a sticker: Pac-Man Programm-Cassette Inklusive. But there was noone inside, but I think as it was sold new there was one inside. :D ;)

Hi Adam,

They are in my possession and now part of the Atari Museum, I'll be certain to have them at Phillyclassic 4 this coming spring so maybe you'll have a booth next to me again :-)

The photo's are all going to look different on the site from now on, new office means new furniture. I've moved away from the old grey speckled desks to Oak so I actually think all the new photo's look better and are easier on the eyes too.

Hopefully in the coming months it will be time to go through the whole site and update all of the photo's with better shots, more close ups, more inside views and so forth.

Curt

That's weird that the 2600jr was packed with Combat (I never seen it packed in with anything here in Canada).  But since there was only one joystick included, you couldn't really take it home and play it...

True. Very true. Strange how that never occured to me before. Or, apparently to Atari either.

That's weird that the 2600jr was packed with Combat (I never seen it packed in with anything here in Canada).  But since there was only one joystick included, you couldn't really take it home and play it...

I wonder who started the trend of only including a single controller with game systems. And then not even including a game with the system! I think the last system I bought that included a game was the Dreamcast. But I never thought about the inclusion of Combat and only one joystick! :)

..Al

Good question -- I know when I got my Sega Genesis it didn't come packed with anything and coming from all the original consoles which always had some form of pack-in, I thought it strange...

All of the pre-crash consoles had pack-in's of some kind, the original NES had Gyromite and (?) , what about the Sega Master System? Did it have a pack-in?

Curt

IIRC Genesis, Master System, NES, SNES, and Atari2600Jr all sold "unit only" systems with no pack-ins...besides the usual setups that did.

BTW Fairchild Channel F sold a cartridge system that didn't include carts in the '70s. Dunno if that counts, though, since pong tennis & hockey were built-in. ;) :D

Side question: Packed from the OEM...what system offered the most pack-ins? Sega CD?

IIRC Genesis, Master System, NES, SNES, and Atari2600Jr all sold "unit only" systems with no pack-ins...besides the usual setups that did.

BTW Fairchild Channel F sold a cartridge system that didn't include carts in the '70s.  Dunno if that counts, though, since pong tennis & hockey were built-in. ;) :D

Side question:  Packed from the OEM...what system offered the most pack-ins?  Sega CD?

Master system may not have had a pack in, but they have a built in game don't they?

aside from the snail game the sms had several pack in games in its various forms. hang on/ safari hunt was the most common, the rarest is the 3-d set which includes a zapper, the glasses and missile defense 3-d.

i've never found a boxed SMS 2 so i dont know about that, also the SMS was far more popular overseas and likely came in many other bundles over the years.

BTW Fairchild Channel F sold a cartridge system that didn't include carts in the '70s.  Dunno if that counts, though, since pong tennis & hockey were built-in. ;) :D

Side question:  Packed from the OEM...what system offered the most pack-ins?  Sega CD?

Master system may not have had a pack in, but they have a built in game don't they?

I kinda consider the built-in games as psuedo pack-ins, after all you do have games to play when you turn the system on. I looking more to systems which are unplayable out of the box because they come with no games whatsoever.

Curt