IGNORED

The market for 8-bits.

Atari8guy

Hi All,

I'm selling off a large chunk of my retro stuff (some Amiga but mostly Atari 8bit) and I'm wondering about the depth of the market. If I listed everything at once on Ebay, what are the thoughts around whether the market has enough buyers to support that....I know some things are highly collectible, but are there 100 collectors in the world? 1,000? 10,000? I'm tentative to list it all at once, as the folks who would bid say on Bounty Bob might also be the same folks bidding on Spartados X. If I delay the listings some, is that to my advantage, or is the market deep enough to handle this. Also I've noticed thus far, most of the bidders are other ebay sellers I've bought from in the past....is the market so shallow a few of us collectors just exchange stuff every 18 months or so, when we need cash? lol?

Yes I realize this is a bit of a backwards plug for my auctions, but the question is won I've longed wondered about...how big is the collectors market these days?

Hi All,

I'm selling off a large chunk of my retro stuff (some Amiga but mostly Atari 8bit) and I'm wondering about the depth of the market. If I listed everything at once on Ebay, what are the thoughts around whether the market has enough buyers to support that....I know some things are highly collectible, but are there 100 collectors in the world? 1,000? 10,000? I'm tentative to list it all at once, as the folks who would bid say on Bounty Bob might also be the same folks bidding on Spartados X. If I delay the listings some, is that to my advantage, or is the market deep enough to handle this. Also I've noticed thus far, most of the bidders are other ebay sellers I've bought from in the past....is the market so shallow a few of us collectors just exchange stuff every 18 months or so, when we need cash? lol?

Yes I realize this is a bit of a backwards plug for my auctions, but the question is won I've longed wondered about...how big is the collectors market these days?

It’s not too big but you won’t flood it.

I’ve found that selling multiple things at the same time is often better than one thing – particularly if you can list them within a few minutes of one another so they appear together in a list of items under Atari. A lot of unusual things in a row area good cue that a collector is selling and you should probably get in on the bidding.

Timing is also important – this is a pretty good time to be selling (right after US tax returns.) Though there still is some randomness to the rhythm of when to sell.

The other two big factors:

Your eBay feedback rating (should ideally be 99.8, 99.9, or 100%) and whether you offer to ship worldwide.

My auction link is posted under the auction section of this website. But you'd do just as well to search ebay for my name. ;)

As for AA, I'd be happy to sell here, but ebay is a much larger audience and has protections for sellers, still if anyone wants to offer on something (not already listed on ebay)....

https://spreadsheets...uthkey=CLOizugG

Edited by 8bitguy1

As an ebay buyer, I will tell you what I would like to see in your auctions...

1) guaranteed not DOA

2) individual pieces not lots

3) combined shipping

Let me pick what I want then charge me a fair price to ship working merchandise.

Everything I have works, or it will not be listed (I have one item I might list as broken, but that will be clearly noted).

I have 100 plus carts, I could list them all individually, but for carts sometimes lots (when they are commons) are sometimes easier.

I will absolutely combine shipping, I charge only what it actually costs and if you can get multiple items in the same box all the better for you.

Overseas shipping is expensive. When I was a university student, my professor was contracted by the Canadian government to study the courier industry as the profit margins seemed extraordinarily high. His conclusion was that there was a significant barrier to entry (ie: planes are expensive) and therefore with only a few global players, they are able to stick it to the customers and earn "above normal" profits.

I doubt that makes you feel better, but this might....

I have an XF 551 with a cracked 5.25 inch drive (which still works, believe it or not) and another HyperROM chip to do the mod. If we can work something out, where you can repair the SIO2SD you built me (as that's one item I'd like to keep, but I've buggered somehow) maybe we can save on shipping together.

The other two big factors:

Your eBay feedback rating (should ideally be 99.8, 99.9, or 100%) and whether you offer to ship worldwide.

About my one miss on my feedback rating....was a paintball gun, which I immediately told the gentleman how to fix the "stickiness" but it was too late, he'd already posted the neg....

Sometimes ebay's feedback system sucks. I doubt given a 250 purchase price, the stickiness was that big a deal since I never heard from him again after I'd sent the fix...I just don't have enough transaction volume to get back to 99.8.

I have an XF 551 with a cracked 5.25 inch drive (which still works, believe it or not) and another HyperROM chip to do the mod. If we can work something out, where you can repair the SIO2SD you built me (as that's one item I'd like to keep, but I've buggered somehow) maybe we can save on shipping together.

Sounds good. Actually I don't need a mech or ROM at all: just the drive case and logic board (I already fixed up a 3.5" mech and I made an EPROM with the HyperOS: I simply lack a second unit to fit them in). Shouldn't weigh too much at all.

Edited by flashjazzcat

About my one miss on my feedback rating....was a paintball gun, which I immediately told the gentleman how to fix the "stickiness" but it was too late, he'd already posted the neg....

Feedback only considers the last 90 days to a year or so - ebay fixed it so its actually valid now :)