IGNORED

Kraftwerk music in Atari games?

the 5th ghost

We are functioning automatic...

And we are dancing mechanic...

We are the robots! :)

Ah, Kraftwerk... great stuff!

Anyhow, I don't think sheet music for The Robots exists. However, there is a Kraftwerk fan site - Keep Werking - that has scans of sheet music for several Kraftwerk songs (Computer World, The Model, Tour de France, and Trans Europe Express).

This may help any enterprising programmer who wishes to hack Berzerk or some other game.

I've got my music driver posted on my site if anyone wants to give it a try. However many songs are too difficult to port the the 2600 due to the 5 bit frequency register. I throw out 2 or 3 ideas before I tried Mr. Roboto and found that it fit reasonably well.

And while you're at it do Trans Europe Express for Enduro and Pocket Calculator for Basic Math. ;)

-Paul

I've got my music driver posted on my site if anyone wants to give it a try.  However many songs are too difficult to port the the 2600 due to the 5 bit frequency register.  I throw out 2 or 3 ideas before I tried Mr. Roboto and found that it fit reasonably well.  

And while you're at it do Trans Europe Express for Enduro and Pocket Calculator for Basic Math.  ;)

-Paul

"I'm the operator with my pocket calculator...I am adding...and subtracting...By pressing down a special key it plays a little melody...bleep blop bleep blop blop..."

Haha! I love that song, that would go great. Some Kraftwerk is pretty close to Atari music anyway, maybe I'll give it a go on the music driver you have posted on your site. I've been playing and writing music for quite a long time so I may have some luck figuring out some Atari compositions.

Another idea may be "Ping Pong" from Stereolab for Pong Sports even though the song doesn't have much to do with sports...

Doug

I don't know if I heard this or not but did someone put "We are the Robots" in Berzerk? I could be mistaken, maybe it was another song.

I'm not familiar with this song, at least not by the name. Does anyone have a sample they can point me at or send me? :)

..Al

Albert,

It's the first track on the Kraftwerk album "The Man Machine" from 1978. The track is actually called "The Robots"

Maybe you can find a download on one of those free music sites but I'm not familiar with those.

Doug

I don't know if I heard this or not but did someone put "We are the Robots" in Berzerk? I could be mistaken, maybe it was another song.

I'm not familiar with this song, at least not by the name. Does anyone have a sample they can point me at or send me? :)

..Al

Albert,

It's the first track on the Kraftwerk album "The Man Machine" from 1978. The track is actually called "The Robots"

Maybe you can find a download on one of those free music sites but I'm not familiar with those.

Doug

The album's a true classic worth buying. You've probably heard Trans-Europe Express. That's their big song.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I listened to a few snippets of songs on Amazon.com. I'll see if I can find a copy of "The Man Machine" locally--I should be able to get one at Waterloo Records or another used music store. And I listened to the "Trans-Europe Express" song and it doesn't seem familiar. These guys appear to have released many albums--are they still together?

..Al

Hi Albert!

These guys appear to have released many albums--are they still together?

They are. They are working on a new Album since 1991 I think. But I don't think they'll ever release it though, they'll just sit back and enjoy their status of being legends. :)

They should already be well in their 60's and the only thing they did release in the last 10 years was a Jingle for the Expo 2000. I think they got paid some $150K for 20 seconds of music :D

And they're doing a live performance every five years or so. I saw them on stage in Karlsruhe in 1997 or 1998 I think. I think the visitors was 1/3 Germans, 1/3 Japanese and 1/3 rest of the world. The show was sold out half a year before it happened and on the evening I was offered $500 for my ticket!!

I think they are dead cool. In an interview some time ago they were asked what they are doing all day nowadays and they just replied "We are Kraftwerk" :D

Greetings,

Manuel

Thanks for the tips everyone, I listened to a few snippets of songs on Amazon.com.  I'll see if I can find a copy of "The Man Machine" locally--I should be able to get one at Waterloo Records or another used music store.  And I listened to the "Trans-Europe Express" song and it doesn't seem familiar.  These guys appear to have released many albums--are they still together?  

..Al

They released a new album in 2000, but it sucked royally. BTW Kraftwerk, Afrika Bambaataa and Liquid Liquid are the three bands/people credited with inventing modern electronic music. There's a radio station by me called WLIR who used to play all of that kind of music along with punk and new wave in the early to mid 80s. Unfortunately, they are now a Maury Organization Top 40 Station :sad:

They're not only still together......they're touring  :!:  http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4556

For us Kraftwerk fans who aren't members of the forum, could you provide the low-down on this? I hadn't heard of any more tours...

(This is drifting off-topic, so posting in the Off-Topic section probably won't hurt. :) )