IGNORED

Sic!Cart preorder

St(r)yker

Now the maximum SIC!-capacity is 4Mbit. We (Candle & me) have plans to release SIC-cart II much greater capacity, but - we'll see... You can apply the idea with ZIF socket (as it was shown on pictures). It will fit only in XE series, but if you have some interface like IDE2, it should fit in XLs, too.

Remember to hold down OPTION key while booting. In a few days new version of SICmenu will be released, where this bug is removed. Also there will be sources of SICmenu, SICflash and SICdump publicly available, so everyone will be able to manipulate with it, if you want to.

What else... I sent last SIC!s today. Please inform me by PM if you have received them.

Edited by St(r)yker

The FM is in post #1.

Basically, with SicGen PC program you can make your selection of .xex files and you can save an .atr image that flashes you cart.

My Sic! Cart had SpartaDOS in it.

Therefore, disable cart with the little switch on the right, insert it, boot your Atari with .atr made by SicGen program, enable cart, flash the cart.

Edited by Philsan

Marcin, I think something doesn't work well in SicGen program when you delete files (I have W7).

Some files disappear.

I found a little bug: if you have a .xex with a name longer than 27 characters then you'll have part of the name in next line in Sic! Cart menu.

SicGen program could automatically cut names longer than 27 characters.

BTW, you could gain extra characters moving Sic! Cart menu to the left.

I don't have Vista on my comp. SicGen is fast-programmed by Candle so it may have some bugs. I'll ask him why it doesn't work with Vista. In July Trub will make GUI for SICmenu. But now you have to try it in command-line (maybe it isn't so comfortable, but there are many more addidional functions according to SicGen).

Ok, i've managed to configure the cart with a Seven installed in a Sun Virtual Box :)

Now some games are working and some are not with a direct return to basic....Strange...

You'll find my .ATR attached, could you tell me if the all the included games are working for you ?

siccart.atr

Hi,

you'll find the original xex files attached.

My atari is a stock 800 XL Secam.

I'll send you a list of (not) working games tomorrow (more than 50% so far).

And BTW, for an unknown reason i can't add some other Xex files in Sicgen (drag and drop does not work for some .xex files).

siccart-xex.zip

Hi,

you'll find the original xex files attached.

My atari is a stock 800 XL Secam.

I'll send you a list of (not) working games tomorrow (more than 50% so far).

Your file is "corrupted" ... Vista problem?

I posted the correct files .. see ..

And BTW, for an unknown reason i can't add some other Xex files in Sicgen (drag and drop does not work for some .xex files).

I know ... fix it soon

File xex "Bruce Lee" is not working ... damaged?

testFR.zip

@Marsupilami: first of, make sure that your explorer process is owned by the same user as sicgen, otherwise (starting from vista) WM_DROPFILE message won't pass to sicgen and thus the file won't get through

it will be hard time fixing this, since i don't have any w7 or vista to test it on, and all the development is done od old trustry XP

as for the xex files - any file is accepted when it meets binary format for atari executable, so i'm looking into it right now

update: any file from the pack you've provided add correctly to the list

Edited by candle

I was selecting the best software to put in my Sic! cart and I found 80 programs so far (2MB)!

I would like to know if it would be technically possible to make a 16 Mbit (or bigger) cartridge.

Flash chips that are directly compatible with the Atari are maximum 512 KByte (4Mbit). There are bigger flash chips but those work on a lower voltage than the 5Volt the Atari uses and can't be used directly. Some low-voltage flash-chips tolerate 5V on the address and data lines. Then you only need a regulator for the chips power. But these chips get rarer. For example the Jaguar SkunkBoard uses a 8MByte (64Mbit) flash chip of this kind but for the 3rd batch they had big trouble to get the flash chips. Also the newer low-voltage chips don't tolerate 5V on the data and address line and then you need converters for the data and address lines as well making the design more complicated.

Another problem is that modern flash-chips are 16bits wide while the Atari is only 8-bits wide. I know that some 16bit wide EPROMs had 8-bits mode, but I don't think many 16bit wide flash chips have an 8-bit mode. So with 16-bit memory you need a multiplexer and buffers to make it work.

So in short, it is not easy to use the high capacity flash chips that are commonly available at the moment because they are incompatible with the Atari without additional components that complicate the design.

Robert

• Like 2

I was selecting the best software to put in my Sic! cart and I found 80 programs so far (2MB)!

I would like to know if it would be technically possible to make a 16 Mbit (or bigger) cartridge.

Flash chips that are directly compatible with the Atari are maximum 512 KByte (4Mbit). There are bigger flash chips but those work on a lower voltage than the 5Volt the Atari uses and can't be used directly. Some low-voltage flash-chips tolerate 5V on the address and data lines. Then you only need a regulator for the chips power. But these chips get rarer. For example the Jaguar SkunkBoard uses a 8MByte (64Mbit) flash chip of this kind but for the 3rd batch they had big trouble to get the flash chips. Also the newer low-voltage chips don't tolerate 5V on the data and address line and then you need converters for the data and address lines as well making the design more complicated.

Another problem is that modern flash-chips are 16bits wide while the Atari is only 8-bits wide. I know that some 16bit wide EPROMs had 8-bits mode, but I don't think many 16bit wide flash chips have an 8-bit mode. So with 16-bit memory you need a multiplexer and buffers to make it work.

So in short, it is not easy to use the high capacity flash chips that are commonly available at the moment because they are incompatible with the Atari without additional components that complicate the design.

Robert

Thank you Robert.

new software revision is available for download at http://unimor.info/sic/sic!cart.zip

- sicgen - basic is now DISABLED as default - no need to hold OPTION key anymore + updated autoflash ultility in generated ATR files

- sicmenu - basic is also disabled, ram is cleared before anything is loaded, some minor updates in included CMC files + new version of sic autoflash ultility

- sdx 4.44 ready for use with sic-cart (again with updated flasher)

- stand alone version of sicflasher - fixed flash memory type detection routines and SIO transmission

- sources for sicmenu, sicflash and sicdump are now included. they are intended for these of you who would like to make their own version of these ultilities soleyly for sic!cart - in other case please contact with apriopriate authors (Pr0be and Drac030)

also - if anyone is still interested - there are some carts left and can be ordered

Edited by St(r)yker
  • Like 1

I got my two sic!carts today. Now how do I connect my PC to the Atari800XL?

you need an SIO2PC cable, either serial or USB

make your own, or buy one from atarimax.com

Or an external storage device like SIO2SD or SDrive (in that case you only need to put Sic!Gen .atr flasher in the SD card, no need to connect PC and Atari).

new software revision is available for download at http://unimor.info/sic/sic!cart.zip

- sicgen - basic is now DISABLED as default - no need to hold OPTION key anymore + updated autoflash ultility in generated ATR files

- sicmenu - basic is also disabled, ram is cleared before anything is loaded, some minor updates in included CMC files + new version of sic autoflash ultility

- sdx 4.44 ready for use with sic-cart (again with updated flasher)

- stand alone version of sicflasher - fixed flash memory type detection routines and SIO transmission

- sources for sicmenu, sicflash and sicdump are now included. they are intended for these of you who would like to make their own version of these ultilities soleyly for sic!cart - in other case please contact with apriopriate authors (Pr0be and Drac030)

also - if anyone is still interested - there are some carts left and can be ordered

I tested the new SicGen program and now it seems to work perfectly. You introduced a title lenght check too.

I noticed that you removed the "-" character from Sic! cart menu, so titles can be 2 characters longer.

In my opinion menu titles should be moved a little to the left and aligned with "press space bar" but, as you said, in the future a menu editor with GUI will be available, so no need to update now.

Have you solved the start problem on XEGS machines without keyboards (and space bar to skip title screen)?