IGNORED

System Updates

Do you leave your system on auto-update while it's powered down (orange/tan light standby, not the red light fully shut-down mode)? If so, you shouldn't need to update from within the games (as far as I know anyway). Anyways, Nintendo does these updates at least once every six months, usually more, so that would make sense if you don't let your system download the updates automatically.

2 reasons for the updates...

1. The Wii has system libraries that the game uses for common stuff, like wiimote access, networking, etc. Nintendo prefers to keep these libraries on flash, rather than hardcoded on the game disc, so they can later patch bugs.

When the game needs certain funtionality that isn't yet present on your wii, it needs to update your wii with that library.

2. Nintendo likes to update the security on the Wii, to make it more difficult for you to do stuff they don't like.

• 2 weeks later...

Just be thankfull that it's not like Xbox. Maybe I'm just getting the wrong games, but every single friggin game has to "update" before you can play it. Some of them, like Halo, have to update every other time I turn the damn thing on :roll:

I'd imagine it's mostly to curb piracy, but most of the patches are cracked within days anyways, so they're just throwing money into a hole.

Edited by Video