IGNORED

Looking for some 'under the radar' game recommendations.

Reaperman

Well, I actually enjoyed it for about the first half; I'm not a big fan of FPS in general, so take that into account. It's doubtlessly the best FPS on teh console maybe outside of timesplitters for the GCN; the setting is pretty unique with the whole founding father thing, good story, especially for an FPS. Controls are good, very customizable as I'm sure anyone who's read about it knows. Just... the gameplay isn't great. Enemy AI is bad, objectives are bland, weapons are indistinguishable and thus superfluous (although the alien/human weapon switchoff is cool)... just kind of drags.

Ultimate shooting collection - GARBAGE. and I put up with a lot from SHMUPS

What didn't you like about Ultimate Shooting, specifically? I haven't played the boss-rush-only Chaos Field on it (I have the enhanced GameCube release of that), but I enjoyed Radirgy and Karous' systems, Radirgy's more so because the object collection was tied to a score multiplier rather than weapon upgrade, which seemed to unbalance your weaponry in Karous. Admittedly, the text seemed poorly translated in the US release.

I note that I've only played/beaten Easy difficulty, as I was more interested in reaching the end rather than mastering the games.

onmode-ky

Ultimate shooting collection - GARBAGE. and I put up with a lot from SHMUPS

What didn't you like about Ultimate Shooting, specifically? I haven't played the boss-rush-only Chaos Field on it (I have the enhanced GameCube release of that), but I enjoyed Radirgy and Karous' systems, Radirgy's more so because the object collection was tied to a score multiplier rather than weapon upgrade, which seemed to unbalance your weaponry in Karous. Admittedly, the text seemed poorly translated in the US release.

I note that I've only played/beaten Easy difficulty, as I was more interested in reaching the end rather than mastering the games.

onmode-ky

Yea; garbage disc. I LOVE chaos field and have logged countless hours into the GCN one. Karous had a cool aesthetic, but the control was bad, the sound was bad, the text was poorly translated and way too small, enemies were forgettable, powerup/upgrade structure boring. Radirgy/radilgy/radio allergy seemed kind of neat, i would have liked to have had that dedicated GCN game, but it just didn't turn out to be that great. The colors were dull and the graphical gimmick (cellshading) didn't come through as anything special even though I like cellshading usually. After playing Ikaruga and Chaos field on the GCN, neither radirgy nor karous had anything to offer me. Maybe it was an issue of expectation or price, but I didn't feel like there was anything compelling there even for die-hard shooter fans. Not much in the way of extras, not much presentation, not much context, one good game in the inferior version of the two available, two duds. I wouldn't even reccomend buying it for chaos field, since the excellent GCN version can be had for some seriously small monies these days, like five bucks.

I remember the track titles for karous to have been pretty weird though like "blue sky of a pervert" and such.