IGNORED

The Pack in Game.

Happy_Dude

Just last week I obtained a Game Boy Advanced (my first Game boy)

I spent all my money on it and then had to wait 1 week to get a game :(

(I think I wore down the batteries from turning it on all the time ;) )

Why don't new consoles come with a "pack in game"?

and what consoles shipped with a "pack in game" ?

(Yes I know the topic sounds like a "raise you're post count" thread :P )

I got my GameCube with a Pack-in game. I had a choice of getting my GameCube with either Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Brothers Melee. I chose the one with Luigi's Mansion. Included with the system was the game , a Nintendo Power Player's guide for the game, and a Memory Card 59. I got it at Costco, I think that all game systems sold at Costco come with a pack-in game.

My SEGA Genesis II came with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with a manual, but no game box.

My NES came with Super Mario. Brothers, the game had both a box and a manual.

I remember that that the Genesis came with Shinobi,then when Sonic came out they packed that in.And if you got Shinobi and you wanted Sonic,you just sent Shinobi to Sega and they gave you Sonic.Cool eh?

Shinobi, huh? I thought "Altered Beast" was the most common pack in pre-Sonic? Which isn't to say you're wrong.

You know, Sonic was one of the cooler "obviously manufactured" mascots. Yeah, he probably tapped into that "can we make it more Xtreme?!!?" vibe of the era (pretty well parodied by the construction of Itchy and Scratchy's "radical pal" Poochie on the Simpsons) but it was a brilliantly designed game, so much more colorful and frenetic than anything else at the time, and then the character goes on to comics and tv and what not.

Too bad that Sonic and Tales in Smash Bros Melee was just an April Fools Gag!

I personally feel that systems should come with a pack-in game. I've debated this before with my friend. His point was that companies can sell the system cheaper without a game and then the consumer can buy the game he really wants.

I guess my position comes from the feeling of value you get when a system comes with a game. I also think systems should come with 2 controllers. Just think of the Atari 2600 in the early years: you not only got the system, but a game, 2 controllers, and a set of paddles. NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Heh, I'm surprised they don't have more built-ins... (whoops, I guess that's exactly what the post I happened to link to in that rgvc thread was about) "Snail Maze" on the SMS and Minestorm on the Vectrex were the only ones I know about--games that the system would play if no cartridge was inserted.

It would be a brilliant way of putting in some simple eye-candy that could show off your new system...maybe a few semi-interactive demos rendered in real time, or simple Mario-party like multiplayer games with gorgeous effects...a company wouldn't have to spend a whole lot of deveopment time, and if they don't load it up with lots of designed graphics, keeping it abstract, they should be able to put it in ROM.

Or maybe this could be an idea for a pack-in.

Or for a start, they should do some of the same previews like they have in the kiosks! Do they do those demo discs for playstation still? Were those good? (But the advantage of keeping the built or pack-in as a non-advertisement means it wouldn't look so obsolete so fast...)

Dunno how I feel about 'they must include 2 controllers'...I'm kind of mad that Sony doesn't haven't more than 2 controllers without a multitap, but on the other hand, I don't think everyone wants to pay for the 4 controllers I think are the minimum to be useful...

I got my Saturn with Virtua Cop, Daytona, and Virtua Fighter 2, as was mentioned by Punisher. I purchased my Saturn when the system was being phased out.

My Super Nes came with Super Mario All-Stars. Picked it up about a year and a half before the N64's release.

My Game Gear game with Sonic Chaos and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Picked it up around 1996.

None of the other post-crash systems I have right now(All 4 Gameboys, N64, PSX, PS2, GCN) came with a pack-in.

Too bad that Sonic and Tales in Smash Bros Melee was just an April Fools Gag!

Yeah that would have been totally kick ass.

By the way... you think you could replace that really long link you posted with a much shorter link by using the tag? I just don't feel that I should have to make my browser window take up the entire width of my screen(it's set to 1600x1200) and still have to scroll from left to right to read what people say because some really long link messed up the width of the page.

[url=http://www.really.com/long/url/yada/yada/yada]click here[/url]

Has anyone heard of the {ENTER} button

no need for a word wrap function just press {ENTER}

after every line and you have no problems :)

@kisrael, What browser are you using?

The trouble was I posted a big honkin' Google groups URL raw, which turned it into a link but made the whole link visible...

IE 6 is what I'm using.

Jaguar CD came with a full game, a demo of Myst, Vid Grid, and Tempest 2000 sound track ;)

Actually, it came with 2 full games... Blue

Lightning and Vid Grid (You aren't implying

that Vid Grid was a demo, are you?). Sadly,

those 2 games were about 15% of the

entire game library :(

I'm not so much bothered by companies

not including pack-in games, since many of

them aren't what I would have wanted

anyways. What bugs me more is when they

only give you ONE controller!

--Zero

Has anyone heard of the {ENTER} button

no need for a word wrap function just press {ENTER}

after every line and you have no problems :)

Yeah, but that would require everyone posting to the topic to think to

use the enter key. It would just be simpler if the original poster of the url

would just use the "edit" button in the uper right-hand coner of his post

and put in some BB code. "it feels weird" and "I'm just lazy" are not valid

excuses.

Jaguar CD came with a full game, a demo of Myst, Vid Grid, and Tempest 2000 sound track ;)

Actually, it came with 2 full games... Blue

Lightning and Vid Grid (You aren't implying

that Vid Grid was a demo, are you?). Sadly,

those 2 games were about 15% of the

entire game library :(

--Zero

If you consider Vid Grid a true game then I guess so. Don't worry though because the Jaguar CD library is going to grow thanks to good old bypass carts :wink:.