IGNORED

'ignore' button could use a confirm?

kisrael

Hey there...

Just a suggestion...the "Ignore" button is just about the same size and shape as the "Reply" and "Quote"...I think it has a relatively high chance of accidental hits, it might be a good idea to have one of those javascript "ignore this user, are you sure" confirm dialogs. (Especially 'cause it has just about the opposite meaning as the other two buttons!)

Also, how the heck can I get to the Ignore management screen? That compounds the problem, the only way I can find to get to it is to ignore someone new, and then quickly pounce on the link that shows on the quick-disappearing "you are ignoring this user" screen...

On the flip side, in trying to look for the Ignore Management screen, I found some cool links I hadn't noticed before, like Memberlist and Gallery... (another random suggestion...it would be cool if Memberlist had checkboxes to display avatar and/or photo, since I'd really like to see a descending sorted by # of posts list with avatars...)

Just a suggestion...the "Ignore" button is just about the same size and shape as the "Reply" and "Quote"...I think it has a relatively high chance of accidental hits, it might be a good idea to have one of those javascript "ignore this user, are you sure" confirm dialogs. (Especially 'cause it has just about the opposite meaning as the other two buttons!)

Yes, I agree that it's too easy to hit the Ignore button, although I haven't done it in a few weeks now. I'll probably move it to the bottom of the message where the other "user-specific" buttons are, although that might cause the minimum page width to be greater than 800 for those people who have every possible icon on that row (like me). I'll need to play around with it a bit to see what works.

Also, how the heck can I get to the Ignore management screen? That compounds the problem, the only way I can find to get to it is to ignore someone new, and then quickly pounce on the link that shows on the quick-disappearing "you are ignoring this user" screen...

Ahhh, yes, I had meant to replace the "Usergroups" link at the top of the page with an "Ignore" link that takes you to the "Ignore Management" screen and forgot to do so. I will do this today, it should only take a few minutes and we already made a small icon for it.

On the flip side, in trying to look for the Ignore Management screen, I found some cool links I hadn't noticed before, like Memberlist and Gallery... (another random suggestion...it would be cool if Memberlist had checkboxes to display avatar and/or photo, since I'd really like to see a descending sorted by # of posts list with avatars...)

I agree that it would be cool to see the avatar and/or photo on the Memberlist page, but it already has quite a few columns and would get even more cluttered with one or two columns of graphics. However, as long as the default is to *not* show those columns, then I guess that could work. This would also cause the Memberlist page to be much taller than it is now when viewing those images.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

..Al

Yes, I agree that it's too easy to hit the Ignore button, although I haven't done it in a few weeks now.  I'll probably move it to the bottom of the message where the other "user-specific" buttons are,  

Ah, that would make a lot more sense, because come to think of it, at first I wasn't sure if I was ignoring a post or a poster...does that mean you'd rather avoid the javascript confirmation? Moving the icon would help a lot, and might mitigate the need for a confirm, but I figure "ignore" is probably an infrequent enough thing that a confirmation wouldn't be too bothersome...

I agree that it would be cool to see the avatar and/or photo on the Memberlist page, but it already has quite a few columns and would get even more cluttered with one or two columns of graphics.  However, as long as the default is to *not* show those columns, then I guess that could work.  This would also cause the Memberlist page to be much taller than it is now when viewing those images.  

Yeah, it's really a minor thing, but a nice idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for being so responsive, and hosting such a great site...at first I was impressed just by the presentation of the cart/game information, and since then my admiration has only grown as I've gotten into the forums, the features, and the store.

But when are you gonna get to 2600 101 ??? ;-)

I'll probably move it to the bottom of the message where the other "user-specific" buttons are, although that might cause the minimum page width to be greater than 800 for those people who have every possible icon on that row (like me)

How about using the left column? There is plenty of space (especially when hiding the avatars. ;)).

How about using the left column? There is plenty of space (especially when hiding the avatars. ;)).

I don't really want to use the left column, as most people do have avatars turned on and I already removed a lot of information from the left column in order to reduce the amount of vertical space short messages take up. Plus, the style of the button matches the ones horizontally lined up at the top and bottom and I think it'd be more aesthetically pleasing to keep them together. I haven't played around with it yet, but I will soon. :)

..Al

Couldn't you put the buttons under the topic header? That would give you a good deal of extra space. Example: right now, the top looks like...

Posted:24 Dec2002 16:48 Post subject:

Re: 'ignore' button could use a confirm?reply_mini.gificon_quote.gificon_ignore.gificon_edit.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message body~~~~

But you could have it look like this, right?...

Posted:24 Dec2002 16:48 Post subject: Re: 'ignore' button could use a confirm?

reply_mini.gificon_quote.gificon_ignore.gificon_edit.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message body~~~~

That would give you extra space to relocate those admin buttons to the top.

Or you could just drop the names listed on the buttons themselves, since moving the mouse over them will reveal the caption for that button anyway.

icon_ignore.gif becomes X

(I can't get captions to work...but you get the idea)

Topic headers might be a good idea to keep...especially if the split/topic feature is ever implemented.

I'd strongly vote (well, not that this is a democracy, more of a benelovent dictatorship) against getting rid of the captions of the buttons, thus relying only on the icons and "tool tips"... one rule of interfaces is that you should be able to know how to use a system by looking at it, not having to mouseover every dang thing (and the icon for 'reply' is pretty non-intuitive by itself, and most people wouldn't expect an 'ignore' icon if they weren't kind of aware it was there...)

Agree with Thomas that the Subject lines are so underutlized and just weird that they can and should be removed from the UI for everything but initial posts.

I'd strongly vote (well, not that this is a democracy, more of a benelovent dictatorship) against getting rid of the captions of the buttons, thus relying only on the icons and "tool tips"... one rule of interfaces is that you should be able to know how to use a system by looking at it, not having to mouseover every dang thing (and the icon for 'reply' is pretty non-intuitive by itself, and most people wouldn't expect an 'ignore' icon if they weren't kind of aware it was there...)

I am with you there. The problem is, it's hard to come up with some kind of icon that people will know means "ignore". I'm afraid that if I remove the "ignore" text, no one will ever use the feature because they won't even bother to hover over the icon to see the tooltip text pop up.

Agree with Thomas that the Subject lines are so underutlized and just weird that they can and should be removed from the UI for everything but initial posts.

Yes, I agree entirely that the subject line is completely useless and that it should be removed. I actually planned to do this a while ago but never got around to it. I'll dig into this as well when I work on the "Ignore" changes.

..Al

I am with you there.  The problem is, it's hard to come up with some kind of icon that people will know means "ignore".  I'm afraid that if I remove the "ignore" text, no one will ever use the feature because they won't even bother to hover over the icon to see the tooltip text pop up.  

I'm glad I'm generally on the same frequency as you in terms of UI.

Actually, I find 'ignore' to generally be a useless feature...people tend not to bug me so much, and chances are other people will quote the ignored poster enough that I'll see what they say anyway (or does 'ignore' try to weed out text attributed to them in quote tags?)

Another suggestion, though you might not like it:

I think having "quote" and "reply" there together is confusing, two buttons that do almost the same thing, but not. I'm always hitting reply when I mean to hit quote...and I'm one of those guys who always trims quotes anyways. I'd suggest getting rid of the "reply" button and just relying on the link at the bottom of the page (which ties in nicely to an idea of top of msg = links re: that message, bottom of msg = links re: that user, and bottom of page = links re: that topic) OR leaving a single "reply" button for each msg, but including a checkbox that says "quote message", and having it default checked.

Yes, I agree entirely that the subject line is completely useless and that it should be removed.  I actually planned to do this a while ago but never got around to it.  I'll dig into this as well when I work on the "Ignore" changes.

i was wondering about that...I suggested it but then it occured to me it might be a less simple change than some. I know you're using some standard boad software (phpBB it says at the bottom) but I didn't know how ingrained it was (though I guess you can just punt if you can edit the template for displaying msg's and for editing them as welll...)

Another wish item, though this is much less important than the others...I really hate the square bracket markup. I know it's standard for some of these boards, and that peopler are used to it here, and that it makes it clear that only a subset of HTML is allowed, but I prefer the slashdot way of just allowing a subset of 'real' HTML. It's a small issue...the only reason I mention it is I'm getting grief 'cause at one point I punted and just pasted a big honking google groups URL into a msg, which linkified it and looked fine on my browser, but apparently on some browser it makes the page scroll horizontally or something. I think one of the reasons I originally did it was because I'm not 100% comfortable with the url tag syntax relative to a href....so I've edited my original post (which is another thing that seems weird, being able to go back and change what you've said...)

Anyway, just some late night rambling thoughts, though I hope you'll at least consider not having the dueling reply/quote buttons. Merry Christmas all!

The buttons themselves could still be reduced in size...maybe all reduced to the same size that the OnlineStatus button is. The text might be necessary on things like Quote or Ignore, but I don't think that they are for things like AIM (if you've used them...you know what the icons mean). In either case, the font used in the buttons could be smaller and/or cross over the icon itself. Quite a number of buttons could fit on the lower line if they were all the same size as the OnlineStatus button.

• 3 months later...

BTW, the placement of the ignore button still sucks... :-) I did it again today and had to relearn how to remove someone from the ignore list.

A confirm would be useful, onClick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to ignore this user?');"

Any chance that when you've got ignore on someone, the software could be improved so it also ignores their quotes when someone quotes them in reply?

Well, first, the software would have to search all the message text on the page for the username and then hide quotes from all users you are ignoring. Right now the software only has to compare UserIDs, which is much faster. Second, you can easily quote someone and snip their name out of the quote and there would be no way to prevent those quotes from showing up.

The ignore feature could certainly be improved a bit, there's no doubt about that. For instance, it would be nice if threads started by ignored users weren't shown either. And an option to not even show the stub posts from ignored users would be useful. :)

..Al

The ignore feature could certainly be improved a bit, there's no doubt about that.  For instance, it would be nice if threads started by ignored users weren't shown either.  And an option to not even show the stub posts from ignored users would be useful.  :)  

..Al

Agreed, these suggested improvements sound much more practical and realistic than mine does. :)

But now there is a handy link on top of the screen.  :)  

http://www.atariage.com/forums/ignore.php

Yeah, I found it eventually...by luck. I don't think people tend to scan collection of links like are up there at top of the bar, so people who don't use ignore a lot won't realize the link is there.

Arguably, an additional "unignore this user" link right under the "this message is being ignored" would be *much* better, since it brings the interface to where the user's attention is when they realize "oh crap, I didn't mean to ignore this message, I'd really like to see it" (and I don't think it's likely to be accidentally clicked by someone who means to ignore that person, since they're not doing clicking activity in that area -- unlike the all to easy to accidentally click ignore button RIGHT next to quote and reply, which could also stand to have a confirm javascript.

It's too easy to accidentally click ignore, and too difficult to know where to go to undo the accidental click. Either a confirm js or that "in place unignore" on the ignored post would help a lot.

As long as the message of an ignored user is still displayed (though fortunately ;) without content) why not changing the ignore button into an unignore button then?

This is a great idea and shoudln't be too hard to implment. I just need an "unignore" button graphic and I'll see what I can do. :)

..Al