IGNORED

RROD

I gave a refurbed Xbox 360 to a friend(who likes to tinker with electronics). It had some weird fan noise. He took it out & found a metal piece rattling around, that was causing short circuits, etc. He took it out & the console was just fine. He now plays Halo on it.

That reminds me once a long time ago when I first start to repair computers for a living. I worked for a repair company and a guy came in said he could not get his computer to work. So I took it to the bench and opened the case (it was a tower) and the motherboard was duct taped to the tower inside. I told him well this is a start of why the computer will not work

Fixed my first RROD on a 360 Elite last night for a friend. The worst part was keeping those washers on both sides while trying to get the heatsinks back on. The console works great now. Take that M$

If you know your way around Xboxs you should tinker with mine. The disc drive sticks and when I start it up the fan sounds like a fighter jet :roll:

That's cool that you can fix one of those. What was the problem with that you repaired? How much in parts?

I've had three XBox 360's fail on me, and it seems like it was a different problem each time:

1) Classic RROD

2) E74 message

3) System would play for about 5-10 minutes and then just lock up, with the graphics being messed.

All three times the system was under warrenty so I just sent it back.

My current unit is a Jasper that I've had over a year and it seems fine (knock on wood)

I ordered a kit off of Epay. It included 2 bottles of solution. One was for taking all the artic silver off the heatsinks and chips. The other prepped the heatsink for the new Artic Silver. Then instead of putting the Xclamps back on, you take the posts off of the heatsinks and use these screws with platic and Metal washers. I got all the dust out of the 360 and put it back together. Worked like a charm. This 360 would play for about 5 minutes and then show 2 red flashing rings before I did this. I played at least 15 minutes of Marvel VS Capcom 3 on it, so I know the solution worked.

I ordered a kit off of Epay. It included 2 bottles of solution. One was for taking all the artic silver off the heatsinks and chips. The other prepped the heatsink for the new Artic Silver. Then instead of putting the Xclamps back on, you take the posts off of the heatsinks and use these screws with platic and Metal washers. I got all the dust out of the 360 and put it back together. Worked like a charm. This 360 would play for about 5 minutes and then show 2 red flashing rings before I did this. I played at least 15 minutes of Marvel VS Capcom 3 on it, so I know the solution worked.

Ahh so it was overheating, it wasn't a true rrod fix.

I came up with my own bracket that seems to work well. It made a console that used to red ring after playing for 15 min still work to this day.

There's a high end RROD kit in which basically uses my idea that you can buy. It requires drilling into the steel cage, but it works like a champ.