IGNORED

Coax plug specs for A800/1050 power supply?

stevem00

I had a crushed coax plug on a perfectly good C017945 power supply. I raided ye olde electronics shoppe and ended up with a loose fit.

Anybody know the specs (or size code) for a replacement plug?

So that's how that happens, a refresh due to a lock up is just as good as a submit.

I have my micrometer and it does not much good as you still can't get to the pin very well which is by what size that style of power plug is sold. But the hole measures .097 inch!! At least as near as I can tell, again it's almost impossible to get a good measurement.

I'm guessing 2.5 mm is the size of power plug you are looking for and the better shops will carry more than one size. You might need to up your standards for electronic shops...

Edited by 1050

Can't find my micrometer so this is less accurate ruler measurement:

outer diameter - 5.5 or 6 mm

inner diameter - 3 mm

inside shaft depth - 9 mm

shaft length - 13mm, although that's for a 400 plug, my 1050 one is about 3 mm longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I now know that my first recommendation was way wrong as I ran into the opposite situation myself just yesterday when I came across a drive with a power jack that my plug would not enter. Side by side comparision with another drive that did accept the standard 9 VAC, 31 VA (otherwise known as Volt/Amps or Watts) power supply brick CO17945, showed the non-fitting pin to be a hair bigger. Since it didn't fit, I considered it fodder for the cause and so I unsoldered it from the board, ground the rivet crimp off of it and pulled the pin from the jack so I could finally get at one to accurately measure it with a dial micrometer. I got .098 inches which is 2.5 mm and exactly what I recommended at first which doesn't fit at all and is NOT the size of power plug or power jack to buy.

I then found a nail shank that did fit the power plug a little loose and measured it to find it to be .075 inches and a little work with the calculator shows that 2 mm is .079 inches so what we need for that power jack and/or plug is the 2 millimeter size officially.

And then I find in my inventory a power supply CO18187 with the same size 2 mm plug but it's output is 11.5 Volts DC, tip positive, and for a 5200!! I didn't know that they were using the same size plug which might get someone into some trouble but I'm not sure if it would be too serious or not. Not really the best idea Atari ever had?