IGNORED

Xbox 360 finally RROD'd

Albert

My Xbox 360 finally bit the bullet today with the dreaded Red Ring of Death. Looks like it was built in 03/07. I remember hearing MIcrosoft extended the warranty for these consoles to three years, so I may be out of luck. Would suck to have to buy a new console because this one died, which would be the first time EVER I've had to replace a console I purchased new. Any advice?

Thanks,

..Al

Sometimes people have been able to get repairs done for free outside of warranty. The first step should be contacting Microsoft's support to see if they will do anything. Tell them your story about how long you've been a gamer, how you've been a loyal Xbox customer, and how this is your first system over the span of several decades that has failed on you and how disappointed you are that a system you bought brand new for several hundred dollars had such a short life.

Otherwise, you can try to get it repaired by doing it yourself or contacting someone else that does it. But such repairs don't seem to typically have long lifespans.

My Xbox 360 finally bit the bullet today with the dreaded Red Ring of Death. Looks like it was built in 03/07. I remember hearing MIcrosoft extended the warranty for these consoles to three years, so I may be out of luck. Would suck to have to buy a new console because this one died, which would be the first time EVER I've had to replace a console I purchased new. Any advice?

Thanks,

..Al

Go to Xbox.com and fill out a service request anyway. They fixed one of mine for free even though it was out of warranty and that's how I did it. If that doesn't work only then would I call them. If they accept it the service center is in Mesquite so you should get it back fairly quickly.

The way I see it, Al, you have 3 options:

1) First, like the others said, see if you can send it in to MS for free repair.

2) See if anyone can fix it for cheap -- I'd say, less then $60. Ask your friends, check your local Craigslist, ask at a gaming store.

3) Finally, if you have to get a new console, get one of the new slim models. Best ones that have come out.

I've had mine repaired twice. Eventually it just breaks again. Two RRoDs and a faulty DVD drive. I'm on my 4th 360. The repair takes a couple of weeks. They send you a box. My shpping box was returned with a huge dent. Eventually that system died. They sent me a refurb. The refurb got the RRoD error twice. I found a guy on Craig's list who fixed it both times. (Because I didn't want to wait throught the lengthy repair process.) Eventually the whole system went belly up.

My advice. Buy a new one.

Edited by Dr Manhattan

You can always mod a slimline computer inside of the console shell...

... or you can do what a couple guys did in the fighting scene, and turn the shell into a fighter's arcade stick. :)

I can fix them but they are hit and miss. I'd recommend getting a slim.

Edited by keilbaca

Remember the warranty is from time of purchase, not time of manufacture. Even though it's over four years old, you could have bought it newer.

Honestly, I'd recommend just getting a new S console. Even if Microsoft fixes the old one for you, I'd get the S and start transferring the files over asap.

I'm sure I purchased the console over three years ago, I doubt it sat on the shelf for over a year. I haven't tried to submit a service request yet, but will do that soon. I'm not very keen on having to purchase another console for $300, I'd rather fix the broken console first, if Microsoft won't fix it.

..Al

Get a reputable place do the repair if your out of warranty. Get it reballed or reflowed by a place with a reflow station. I had mine reballed by a guy on ebay and its been working fine for a year. Dont give it to anyone who doesn't have a rework station. Heat gun repairs might work for a little while but in the long run may do more harm then good. I reccomend tronix repairs in allen park michigan if you dont mind shipping it there. I had them replace the rsx in my ps3 about 2 months ago and its still working great. Www.tronixrepairs.com.

Edited by Galeforcerm

Try MS, you never know, you might get lucky.

True RROD is not repairable long term. Don't waste your $$ on a repair. Get a slim for $200 with a $50 credit or wait a month- the slim will be down to $150 new. Here is a link-

360 4gb with $50 Amazon credit

You can always get a hard drive later. Or use 16gb USB drives for data outside of demos. If those RRODs could be repaired long term, someone would repair them.

Edited by ianoid

Get a reputable place do the repair if your out of warranty. Get it reballed or reflowed by a place with a reflow station. I had mine reballed by a guy on ebay and its been working fine for a year. Dont give it to anyone who doesn't have a rework station. Heat gun repairs might work for a little while but in the long run may do more harm then good. I reccomend tronix repairs in allen park michigan if you dont mind shipping it there. I had them replace the rsx in my ps3 about 2 months ago and its still working great. Www.tronixrepairs.com.

Thanks for the site, I have been looking for a place that can properly fix it that I can refer people to. My heatgun is pretty successful, but as noted, its not the true way to fix it.

I don't like that they put the stock x clamps on for the first time repair, I'd rather ask for the Hybrid fix for the first time to make sure it doesn't come back.