IGNORED

The Prototype Hype

sku_u

Okay so there's been a lot of rumors circulating around about the existance of prototypes believed not to exist except perhaps as a single hoarded copy in someone's private collection.

So, what are the prototypes rumored, but not proven to exist?

Here's what I've compiled so far from other threads:

Elevator Action

Crystal Castles

a playable Tempest

Sinistar ???Still don't see how they could port this one???

Warlords

What else MAY be out there?

THX CPUWIZ  :D

If I had one that wasn't dumped, I would dump it and release it unless some big a$$ corporation were to sue my pants off if I do so.

:)

BTW. -> http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200list.html

Atarihq is a very good site. I was looking for a potential update on what they have up since I don't think that list's been updated in a few years.

Atarihq is still updated monthly with the #rgvc stats and that channel's also where you can catch Keita most of the time. :)

From what I can recall (I may be off), he's been pretty busy traveling and he figured with Atariage carrying the bulk of the slack, there's not much need at the moment to provide new content.

Elevator Action - Fake

Crystal Castles - Did Exist In at least part but who cares anymore. :)

a playable Tempest Does Exist!

Sinistar Does Exist

Warlords Does Exist

TRON Does Exist

Cloak And Dagger DOES NOT Exist

TumbleWeeds Exists

FireMan Exists

Super Man III Partial Conversion

Galaga Nope

Food Fight Nope

Gravitar Possibly

Black Widow Nope

Donald Duck Maybe an Early Proto, not playable

Satans Hollow Exists and is Playable

Elevator Action  - Fake

Crystal Castles  - Did Exist In at least part but who cares anymore. :)

a playable Tempest   Does Exist!

Sinistar  Does Exist

Warlords  Does Exist

TRON Does Exist

Cloak And Dagger  DOES NOT Exist

TumbleWeeds    Exists

FireMan   Exists

Super Man III   Partial Conversion

Galaga     Nope

Food Fight   Nope

Gravitar    Possibly

Black Widow  Nope

Donald Duck   Maybe an Early Proto, not playable

Satans Hollow   Exists and is Playable

I wonder if any of these that do exist will ever see the light of day.

Given hoarders' motives...I'd say no.  Just locked away until bitrot destroys the programs for good.

Isn't that a wonderful thought?

If I had one of these, the ROM would be made available to a capable programmer at the very least in the hopes that the game could be made available in cart form eventually. Unless the reason to hold back a prototype for a 20 year old system is the possibility of being sued for making the game public, I've never seen any reason why people do this.

Maybe some of the owners of these prototypes will eventually have a change of heart.

The idea is that additional copies of a chip's contents would degrade that original's value...which is untrue IMO, since the prototype would still be the original piece of history (i.e. priceless). If the program within is allowed to die, it's entire purpose is defeated...meaningless. Complete disrespect to a program's author who worked so hard to create it (unless the author himself does not wish it to be public).

This is where I differ from many of you. I'm no collector, not really. I always thought that games were to be played, experienced. Sure, I enjoy having some rare games at times just for the unique experience of their suckiness, but to put games on a shelf and proudly look at them? To hold on to some unreleased prototype without even telling people you own it, or that it exists? I fail to see what is enjoyable about that, or what the purpose of it is. What are these 'hoarder's motives' anyway Nuke-san?

With bitrot being a very real danger and the time passed going on 20 years, any undumped prototype games may be soon lost forever. (maybe they already are lost). While that is a bit unfortunate, I'm not losing any sleep over it because there are scores of other games to take their place. But it DOES seem like an injustice to the authors.

BTW, how many of these 5200 proto's were Atari 8bit games? Crystal Castles, Satans Hollow .. they were 8bit games weren't they? So a 5200 version would most likely be identical.

I wish I could do something about it. I am trying to help with Warlords and Tron Right now. We might see those released before the end of 2003. The rest, who knows. But yes, many like superman III and Satans Hollow are probably idential to the 8Bit versions, but if the conversion was attempted by Atari, that Makes them official Lost Treasures. :)

Elevator Action - Fake  

Crystal Castles - Did Exist In at least part but who cares anymore.  

a playable Tempest Does Exist!  

Sinistar Does Exist  

Warlords Does Exist  

TRON Does Exist  

Cloak And Dagger DOES NOT Exist  

TumbleWeeds Exists  

FireMan Exists  

Super Man III Partial Conversion  

Galaga Nope  

Food Fight Nope  

Gravitar Possibly  

Black Widow Nope  

Donald Duck Maybe an Early Proto, not playable  

Satans Hollow Exists and is Playable

Well I'd like to argue with some of these, but when you're talking about the 5200 it's really hard to say what exists and what doesn't due to the fact that an identical 400/800 version may exist but was never ported to the 5200.

I've tracked down several ex-programmers and have found evidence of some unreleased games, but many of them said that they never did a 5200 conversion (ie. it's 400/800 only).

Oh and let's just say 2003 could be the year of several 8-bit surprises... :D

Tempest

How come there is often this idea of some collector 'hoarding'

prototypes? Unless its 100% confirmed that a game exists and the

owner taunts the rest of us then its just gossip. I feel that most of

those games are forgotten and collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Forgotten by an ex-employee or programmer.

John

How come there is often this idea of some collector 'hoarding'

prototypes? Unless its 100% confirmed that a game exists and the

owner taunts the rest of us then its just gossip. I feel that most of

those games are forgotten and collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Forgotten by an ex-employee or programmer.

John

Or worse, dumped in the garbage bin during the crash of the 80's and hauled off to some landfill never to be seen again. Well, almost. Weren't a couple of the unknown Activision prototypes discovered this way? :D